Golf Random Irritations

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the past you have not seen the point of paying higher green fees to play top courses. Have you popped your head into any of these? Might give you a sense of what the difference is, what the extra gives you.

I haven't been to any of these, too south for me 😄, but I've been to their equivalents. Have a look, see what you think
I guess this is an irritation but happen to be searching some old emails and came across this from Princes in 2012….we didn’t know we were born!! 😩

IMG_1112.png

3 jabber

Visit site
There is a rollup on Mondays and Wednesdays at my club that has been running for over 20 years. Recently a group of 4 has been booking themselves into the start sheet right in the middle of the rollup times. We have fastest finger booking and yes, nobody has a divine right to particular times but these are 4 guys that have been members for years and know about the rollup. They meet in the bar for coffee first, same as the rollup. They stay for drinks after, same as the rollup. So really, can't you book just before or after the rollup???? Or better still, join the bloody rollup!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is a rollup on Mondays and Wednesdays at my club that has been running for over 20 years. Recently a group of 4 has been booking themselves into the start sheet right in the middle of the rollup times. We have fastest finger booking and yes, nobody has a divine right to particular times but these are 4 guys that have been members for years and know about the rollup. They meet in the bar for coffee first, same as the rollup. They stay for drinks after, same as the rollup. So really, can't you book just before or after the rollup???? Or better still, join the bloody rollup!
Does your club not block out times for the established roll ups? We do it for a few in the week and 2 at the weekend during the winter. The winter groups have about 10-12 tee times between them so not a massive amount

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Does your club not block out times for the established roll ups? We do it for a few in the week and 2 at the weekend during the winter. The winter groups have about 10-12 tee times between them so not a massive amount
That is what we wanted the club to do but it decided it was unfair to new members who didn't know about the roll ups or wanted to paly in them, especially given the membership rise after covid

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Glorious autumn day in store, forecast is 17 degrees and sunny all day. Absolutely perfect for golf.

Just put my gear in the car, ready to set off, get a message saying course is closed :(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Apparently so. It must have tipped it down overnight, although I never heard it. The paths through fields where I walk the dogs had some big puddles this morning, but even so, I wasn't expecting that.
Must have tipped it down. We have had a lot over the last few days so medical buggies only. I think much more and we'll be carry only

3 jabber

Visit site
No the only times blocked out are for ladies every Thursday. Something to do with nobody having additional privileges which I can understand.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Glorious autumn day in store, forecast is 17 degrees and sunny all day. Absolutely perfect for golf.

Just put my gear in the car, ready to set off, get a message saying course is closed :(
Based on the amount of water I've seen on the roads, pavements and fields this morning driving to work, you won't be the only golfer clicking their heels up here this morning. My course is closed as well incidentally.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
That is what we wanted the club to do but it decided it was unfair to new members who didn't know about the roll ups or wanted to paly in them, especially given the membership rise after covid
I'd have thought that rollups are exactly what new members would be most interested in. It's the best way to get integrated into a new club and meet the other members.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd have thought that rollups are exactly what new members would be most interested in. It's the best way to get integrated into a new club and meet the other members.
Logic would have said so but apparently not. We took it to a vote at the last AGM and I think a lot of the members especially the seniors who can book to go off early in the week especially weren't in favour of roll ups getting dedicated slots. As a result they voted to keep normal booed times.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Based on the amount of water I've seen on the roads, pavements and fields this morning driving to work, you won't be the only golfer clicking their heels up here this morning. My course is closed as well incidentally.
There is an inspection at lunchtime, but even if it opens, it's going to be saturated.

Such a shame on a lovely day. Just hope it dries out for the weekend.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is an inspection at lunchtime, but even if it opens, it's going to be saturated.

Such a shame on a lovely day. Just hope it dries out for the weekend.
Definitely one of those days where even if you could play, would you want to? Best leaving the course to recover. Today is warm, there is a gentle breeze. Let it do its work without golfers causing damage.

A good day to be a member of a links course 😄