Golf Random Irritations

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You do realise it's not compulsory to always try and play orthodox bunker shots?
That there are other techniques available when the sand is wet and/or rock hard?
At the moment playing something approaching "orthodox" is hard enough. Enjoyed playing around with different bounce options though and seeing what each could do in the heavy sand

sunshine

Visit site
It definitely is if you love firing one 60 yards over the green. (y)

It's really simple, just strike it cleanly. Don't fat it or thin it out of the bunker. ;)

That's easier said than done. I hit someone on the back of the head a few months ago, after I misjudged the depth of sand and my greenside splash shot flew over the back of the green.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's really simple, just strike it cleanly. Don't fat it or thin it out of the bunker. ;)

That's easier said than done. I hit someone on the back of the head a few months ago, after I misjudged the depth of sand and my greenside splash shot flew over the back of the green.
Striking it cleanly is when it goes 60 yards over the green though. :unsure: If I thin it it hits the face of the bunker, and if I fat it, it bounces off the hard sand and knifes the ball into the face of the bunker. Those are the three options.

sjw

Visit site
Striking it cleanly is when it goes 60 yards over the green though. :unsure: If I thin it it hits the face of the bunker, and if I fat it, it bounces off the hard sand and knifes the ball into the face of the bunker. Those are the three options.
If you've struck it cleanly and it's gone 60 yards over the green, then you've hit it way too hard 😆

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just open the face a little bit more and clip it of the top of the sand
Yeah I do try that. Some things are just difficult for us 15 handicappers unfortunately. The strike needs to be perfect when the sand is hard for the reasons I stated above.

If you've struck it cleanly and it's gone 60 yards over the green, then you've hit it way too hard 😆
I guess I'm envisioning a slight impact with the sand when I swing and I want to make sure it gets out. It's not easy is it? 😄

Reactions: sjw

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
18 holes Saunton yesterday. Played great.

12 playing lesson at Newport today, couldn't hit my hat. Embarrassing.

Big block at 5th green, landed where Phil Price was walking off 6th tee. He grinned and carried on

I played Saunton in the rain on Tuesday, carrying a half set, well, 8 clubs to be exact.

Some good, some bad but enjoyed it in spite of the rain. Surprisingly my short game was good. 😃

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slow golfers.

We went away for an overnighter.. round 1 we wizzed round in 3 hours 20

Next day took 5 hours..

We (a 4 ball) constantly had to wait for a 3 ball who to be fair slightly were waiting for a 2 ball ..

One hole we spent 3 mins looking for a ball twice.. they had long gone.. by time we got to the tee they still hadn't finished teeing off.. god sake

They were steady golfers but it was very much all go to ball 1.. then to ball 2 then to ball 3 rather than play ready golf

Golfnut1957

Visit site
The main one being "smack it and hope".
I like to call it "the duntch". While I am more than capable of a standard bunker shot, our bunkers are so inconsistent with regard to sand depth that the standard shot can have numerous outcomes. To counter this I developed the duntch, come in steep and hard with the hands leading all the way through. It's difficult to control the distance, but the ball comes out more often than not, regardless of sand depth.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
With the bunker sand being so wet nowadays I have changed to play a pitch shot using a pitching wedge and aim to hit the sand between 1/2" to 1" behind the ball and accelerate through. Distance control is a bit of a lottery but at least the ball is out and travelling in the right direction (usually);)

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeah I do try that. Some things are just difficult for us 15 handicappers unfortunately. The strike needs to be perfect when the sand is hard for the reasons I stated above.

I guess I'm envisioning a slight impact with the sand when I swing and I want to make sure it gets out. It's not easy is it? 😄
The Dan Grieve method is the one, he recommends to hinge early and use release one, almost feel like you leave the club in the sand, works beautifully.