Golf Random Irritations

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Staying in Sandwich for the weekend, just minutes from Royal St George's and a stone's throw from Royal Cinque Ports and Princes - and not playing any of them. 😞
In the past you have not seen the point of paying higher green fees to play top courses. Have you popped your head into any of these? Might give you a sense of what the difference is, what the extra gives you.

I haven't been to any of these, too south for me 😄, but I've been to their equivalents. Have a look, see what you think

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the past you have not seen the point of paying higher green fees to play top courses. Have you popped your head into any of these? Might give you a sense of what the difference is, what the extra gives you.

I haven't been to any of these, too south for me 😄, but I've been to their equivalents. Have a look, see what you think
RSG is my favourite course but I didn’t have a feeling it was easy to just “pop your head” into 🙃

Golfnut1957

Visit site
A friend, golfer, was passing Muirfield one time and wanted to drive in to show his wife. Didn't get past the gate 😂.

Some places are more open than others, some you have to accept defeat on
A mate of mine had a couple of nights in Southport with his wife. Before travelling home he suggested that they pop into Royal Birkdale for a look around and a coffee, he sold it to her on the ambience.

They pulled into the car park and as luck would have it a group of lady members entered the same time as him, they knew the door code and opened it, and he just slipped in behind them.

He suggested to his poor wife that she should grab the prime spot at the window seats overlooking the 18th green while he grabbed the coffee.

The lady behind the bar, clocked that he wasn't a member, challenged him, and on discovering the truth politely kicked them out. He has no shame at all, his wife on the other hand.............

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
You'll be fine at Royal St George's. Drive in, stay left of all the buildings and Park in the area back of 18th green. You'll see plenty as you walk back towards pro shop and nets.

At Deal there's a road between the Clubhouse and first fairway. Easy to "look see."

The road along the shote from Sandwich to Princes is worth doing anyway, and you'll see plenty of St George's. Princes is very relaxed and tourist friendly anyway.

RichA

Visit site
I live and play golf in east Hertfordshire where the earth is all very heavy clay. Not much I can do about that without moving house but I wish the greenkeepers would leave the grass on the fairways half an inch longer. You get a much more forgiving lie in the first cut of rough where the grass a little bit longer than on the fairway where you get about as much turf interaction as you'd expect in the car park.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just back from our trip to Portugal, some great courses ruined by the obvious cash grab. 4.5 hour rounds and we walked off the extra rounds we had booked in because the people in front were glacial and too many people were allowed out.