Golf Random Irritations

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The rain continues to tumble down; the temperature is falling; the nights are drawing in, it’s October tomorrow - and what with one thing and another I feel I’ve hardly played any golf this summer - certainly I can only remember a couple of times being out and thinking all was lovely and what I pay my subs for 🙁

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The rain continues to tumble down; the temperature is falling; the nights are drawing in, it’s October tomorrow - and what with one thing and another I feel I’ve hardly played any golf this summer - certainly I can only remember a couple of times being out and thinking all was lovely and what I pay my subs for 🙁
We did some drainage work on our 15th and 16th which were both out of play last winter and given the rain we had last week they are in remarkably good condition still so touch wood, it bodes well for a few months time. Bunkers were GUR but I understand that

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We did some drainage work on our 15th and 16th which were both out of play last winter and given the rain we had last week they are in remarkably good condition still so touch wood, it bodes well for a few months time. Bunkers were GUR but I understand that
We are same. Did some major work on our 14th, 15th and 17th for flood risk mitigation…and that’s coming on ok and seems to be doing what we had hoped for with it all - given we have had a month of rain in four days causing bunkers to be GUR. Also we put new drains across a few holes and they are doing the job intended.

The course is fine, well many moan but I understand the need means disruption and things not perfect. I’ve just been away so much (not on holiday)…and not played for over two weeks now and have had so few of these late afternoon and evening knocks by myself I so enjoy, when I look around thinking the weather and course are lovely, am I not so fortunate. Just so few of them 🙁

PaulMdj

Visit site
Yes. BBC golf also reporting they are using it for Ryder cup - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/articles/c78dz4w26l7o
I’m not talking about them using it for Ryder Cup practise, that makes sense.

It certainly wasn’t a one sided exhibition event. The score in the end flattered the Yanks.

1st day, Yanks won 5-0, 2 or 3 of those matches were won on 17/18.

Day 2, the Internationals won 5-0

Day 3 the Yanks won 2 matches on 18.

All of those matches could of gone either way or even tied.

The Yanks had to fight for every point in the singles, bar the first match.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’m not talking about them using it for Ryder Cup practise, that makes sense.

It certainly wasn’t a one sided exhibition event. The score in the end flattered the Yanks.

1st day, Yanks won 5-0, 2 or 3 of those matches were won on 17/18.

Day 2, the Internationals won 5-0

Day 3 the Yanks won 2 matches on 18.

All of those matches could of gone either way or even tied.

The Yanks had to fight for every point in the singles, bar the first match.
18.5 - 11.5 not a close contest no matter where the matches ended. Same as any team event, cold of, should of, for the losing side. Bottom line is I don't think the international side is strong enough. One tie in 2003 and the rest US wins I believe

PaulMdj

Visit site
18.5 - 11.5 not a close contest no matter where the matches ended. Same as any team event, cold of, should of, for the losing side. Bottom line is I don't think the international side is strong enough. One tie in 2003 and the rest US wins I believe
Obviously you didn’t watch it. And is very disrespectful to the International players.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
four lipped out birdie putts (not me) in a scramble yesterday. Had they dropped we could have been close.

Oh and watching a young lad in our team stripe it 50 meters past me. Plays off 22. Read all our putts to almost perfection. How is he off 22?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
four lipped out birdie putts (not me) in a scramble yesterday. Had they dropped we could have been close.

Oh and watching a young lad in our team stripe it 50 meters past me. Plays off 22. Read all our putts to almost perfection. How is he off 22?
Well you tell us, you played with him? Presumably he hits a few slices or has no short game.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Obviously you didn’t watch it. And is very disrespectful to the International players.

Didnt watch yesterday but Thursday through to Saturday it was a lot closer than the score - could have easily been all square going into the singles but the US managed to sneak their nose in front a few times to create the gap - scoreline didn’t reflect how close it was at times but the US deserved to win it

PaulMdj

Visit site
Didnt watch yesterday but Thursday through to Saturday it was a lot closer than the score - could have easily been all square going into the singles but the US managed to sneak their nose in front a few times to create the gap - scoreline didn’t reflect how close it was at times but the US deserved to win it
Yanks were on paper, a much stronger team, but they were made to battle for about 90% of their points.

You could see how much it meant to them winning in how they reacted after winning a point.

It was excellent Golf from both teams and well worth watching.

The biggest difference was the ability of the Yanks to hold their nerve when it was going down 17 & 18, the Internationals hit some wayward shots or didn’t capatilise on the Yanks bad shots.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Yanks were on paper, a much stronger team, but they were made to battle for about 90% of their points.

You could see how much it meant to them winning in how they reacted after winning a point.

It was excellent Golf from both teams and well worth watching.

I enjoyed it in parts - there were some periods where it just felt flat , it needed Friday to boost it back to life and some of the International players were excellent but the US just sunk those key putts especially on the first day

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well you tell us, you played with him? Presumably he hits a few slices or has no short game.
Well....one Sunday he was brilliant. I've never played in the same group as him before, but I asked a bloke who has. It's the wild ones off the tee, that I'd blotted out, that cost him apparently. Now he said it, I remember those. But still, if he could stop those, he could be off 10 no problem. And it's not the monster drives that so impressed me, it was his ability to read putts. He was either very close or obviously had the right line every time.