Golf Random Irritations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not having a go at you, but I’ve never heard of an average golf club renowned for its catering. Never heard anyone mention Grims Dyke either. It’s just not a reason to visit a golf course.

I’ve heard people mention the food at top courses eg Swinley, but that is just part of the all round top notch experience.

Really? Do you live local? Locally courses would be known

Ours has become the place to have Xmas parties

My old club didn't give a rats about the course but the restaurant is known locally as an excellent ala carte restaurant

Ofc outside the area you wouldn't know but locals do.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Not having a go at you, but I’ve never heard of an average golf club renowned for its catering. Never heard anyone mention Grims Dyke either. It’s just not a reason to visit a golf course.

I’ve heard people mention the food at top courses eg Swinley, but that is just part of the all round top notch experience.
When Brian was running the catering (until about 5 years ago), other clubs never had a problem getting a team together to play at Grims Dyke because they knew they were going to get good grub.

I played matches at lots of other Middlesex clubs and never had food as good elsewhere. (Except one occasion when Pinner Hill served up some fabulous chips).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

TV cheft Tony Tobin is at Reigate Hill. It isn't the biggest or best club in the area (still very good) https://www.timeandleisure.co.uk/food/tony-tobin-calling-the-shots/

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
If I remember correctly Anstruther has a restaurant on site which is supposedly very good, its all about income streams, lots of dark nights over the winter.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Really? Do you live local? Locally courses would be known

Ours has become the place to have Xmas parties

My old club didn't give a rats about the course but the restaurant is known locally as an excellent ala carte restaurant

Ofc outside the area you wouldn't know but locals do.
We have taken on a new chef to support our current one. The new chef is to develop a restaurant style food offering that is attractive to non-members for occasions, nights out, functions and less formal times - our chef of near 25yrs is excellent and will take a more oversight role as well as continuing to provide food to members and functions.

To that end we had 150 from the local village community with us a few weeks ago to sample our facilities, hospitality and food (a free buffet was put on). We are redeveloping (aka spending a lot of money) the interior of our clubhouse to make it more attractive as somewhere you might go for an evening meal, as well as lunches and such like. We will also be able to host larger functions as we are currently limited to a comfortable 64, squeezed 80. We had leaflets to hand out and our interior designer‘s impressions of what we will have - hopefully by the end of this year - were on show.

Anyway, I have 25th Jan 2025 in the club diary for me hosting a Burns Supper and Ceilidh…hopefully the redevelopment will be done.

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was out yesterday, full rain. Everything okay, wet glove grip excellent. However these lightweight carry bags like Hoofer moonlight and the Callaway one I have they really only do half a job. The ping bag could do with the stubby legs instead of lying directly on the grass, and the Callaway bag which has the excellent stubby legs should have the pvc waterproof section where it rests on the ground …
I don’t bother with the hood as it does nothing of use. But big up to Macwet and foot joy wet gloves .. they were awesome, even when sodden.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We are open and trolleys allowed. However we are only open for 15 holes (1-14 and 18). Not surprised as 15 was a mess on Saturday and I nearly lost my ball on the fairway from plugging and so much standing water

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Eye sight, glasses for distance that weaken the short distance.. making my satnav watch hard to read.
Need to find a solution as bifocals are not the answer nor is flicking the glasses up and down.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would a range finder work?
Yes for shots directly to the green, but sometimes a bit layout stuff is helpful.
My current watch is an S6 approach and I suppose the screen is a bit smaller than the newer ones. Optician said the degradation would be quite small for me, my father doesn’t bother with reading glasses and only wears his glasses for distance. So I could get a “huge” watch and it could also act as a drinks tray when at the bar.

sunshine

Visit site
When Brian was running the catering (until about 5 years ago), other clubs never had a problem getting a team together to play at Grims Dyke because they knew they were going to get good grub.

I played matches at lots of other Middlesex clubs and never had food as good elsewhere. (Except one occasion when Pinner Hill served up some fabulous chips).

Maybe it's just me, but I can't ever imagine deciding to play a golf course based on the food. I 100% agree with you that good catering enhances a club.

Edit: it's not just me because I have 3 friends at Pinner and they've never mentioned the chips. Last time I played there we went down to Northwood Hills afterwards for a curry.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Eye sight, glasses for distance that weaken the short distance.. making my satnav watch hard to read.
Need to find a solution as bifocals are not the answer nor is flicking the glasses up and down.

I upgraded from a Fenix 5s to a 7, the larger screen does make it easier to see the details.

I seem to struggle more in the winter when the days are not as bright.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but I can't ever imagine deciding to play a golf course based on the food. I 100% agree with you that good catering enhances a club.

Edit: it's not just me because I have 3 friends at Pinner and they've never mentioned the chips. Last time I played there we went down to Northwood Hills afterwards for a curry.
I think you have got this wrong, nobody is saying that the food quality is a reason to visit a golf course to play golf, people are saying that having a decent restaurant on site is another reason for people to visit the club thus generating more income for the club.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Ooh which curry house?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree that the food is secondary to the course when deciding whether to play golf.
But Grims Dyke used to depend on non-golfing functions like weddings and suchlike for a meaningful part of its revenue.
If its catering has dropped in quality, that is going to hit the bottom line.
As a general rule the food at Pinner Hill is nothing special. But there was one occasion when we had sandwiches and chips after an Abrey Cup match and the chips were excellent.
Perhaps a one-off? Must have been at least 5 years ago.

sunshine

Visit site
Ooh which curry house?

Would have been either the one next to the station - Namaste Lounge - or the one near the junction with Pinner Road - Sahibs. Been to both after golf :D

Namaste Lounge does a good mixed grill but is more like a place you'd go for a night out with the wife. Sahibs is a more typical curry/beer venue.