Golf Random Irritations

sjw

Visit site
I actually considered buying my own for a few quid and just leaving it in my bag. Briefly had one of the inserts that you put your own tee in which was fine when it was very quiet and I could nip on to the grass and pick them up again, but a no-no when it was remotely busy.
Interesting. I've thought about doing a John Robins and just nicking one from the range and cutting it. I also had someone else recommend one that holds a tee, I asked if they just smacked tees down the range and he said the wooden ones tend to break backwards :unsure:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Interesting. I've thought about doing a John Robins and just nicking one from the range and cutting it. I also had someone else recommend one that holds a tee, I asked if they just smacked tees down the range and he said the wooden ones tend to break backwards :unsure:

I'm fully aware that I'm about to open myself up for ridicule but...

I use pink castle tees... so they don't tend to break that easily.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
After going through several useless caterers our club has announced they'll do it themselves now, but we'll only be able to get food from 11am til 3pm. No breakfast before the morning tee times then. 🤔

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
After going through several useless caterers our club has announced they'll do it themselves now, but we'll only be able to get food from 11am til 3pm. No breakfast before the morning tee times then. 🤔

That's a shame, is it lack of numbers/players before and after those times
Ours doesn't open till 8am and that bugs me sometimes, so can't imagine 3 hours later (the bar is open earlier than 8 though so that's something) 😉

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Very sad to hear that. Until about 5 years ago Grims Dyke was renowned throughout the area for its great catering.
Nothing fancy, but decent portions of good, wholesome grub.
Brian was brilliant (even if he pretended to be a grumpy old sod).

If their catering has gone down the pan, what does that mean for functions like weddings/christenings/wakes?
GD used to get a lot of income from those.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very sad to hear that. Until about 5 years ago Grims Dyke was renowned throughout the area for its great catering.
Nothing fancy, but decent portions of good, wholesome grub.
Brian was brilliant (even if he pretended to be a grumpy old sod).

If their catering has gone down the pan, what does that mean for functions like weddings/christenings/wakes?
GD used to get a lot of income from those.
They always have catering, it's just the last couple of providers haven't been very good. I rarely eat there really, one issue before has been not even knowing if they have food or not so you don't risk it and I always just go to Wenzels on the way in - so I'll continue doing that! It is a missed opportunity for sure, could make loads of people having breakfast between 7 and 9 if they wanted to.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
They always have catering, it's just the last couple of providers haven't been very good.
Yes, but if the catering is not that good, reputation suffers and the wedding/christening/wake bookings will dry up. I wasn't privvy to the club's accounts, but got the impression that functions of that type were very important on the balance sheet. If they are lost, how does the club remain solvent?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, but if the catering is not that good, reputation suffers and the wedding/christening/wake bookings will dry up. I wasn't privvy to the club's accounts, but got the impression that functions of that type were very important on the balance sheet. If they are lost, how does the club remain solvent?
Judging by the emails, old members keep dying at a fierce rate and most of them have their wakes there. 😂

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
They always have catering, it's just the last couple of providers haven't been very good. I rarely eat there really, one issue before has been not even knowing if they have food or not so you don't risk it and I always just go to Wenzels on the way in - so I'll continue doing that! It is a missed opportunity for sure, could make loads of people having breakfast between 7 and 9 if they wanted to.
It seems that some clubs look at food and beverage as a profit centre and base their decisions on profits/losses. Imo, food and beverage should be considered a service that is provided to club members and guests.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Buggy ban today (they are supposed to be for Health and Safety reasons).
I had drinks with lads in the afternoon and to a man they said they could not understand why there was one.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've mentioned before how all the decent ranges are 20+ minutes drive away, so now that I'm practising on Tuesday lunch hours, I have a choice between two less-than-good ones that are 10-12 mins drive. One of them isn't covered so that was off the agenda since it was peeing down today. So I went to Bushey Driving Range.

I arrive, push the door open and nobody is there. I stick my head through to the bays and there is one guy miles down the driving range picking balls up by hand. In the pouring rain. There's no machine for you to get your own balls by the way - well there is one, but it's blocked off and not in use (probably been there since 3 owners ago). Normally you turn up and they just have baskets of balls sat in the reception waiting for you. (There are none now or I would have just taken some and paid at the end.)

Two ladies arrive to use the range and I tell them the situation. One of them thinks she knows the lad's name so she shouts at him to come back, which he does, slowly. He looks at us all confused like he's not sure why we're there - then says they're low on balls, like he expects me to say "oh ok" and just leave. One of the ladies has clearly been there before and asks if there aren't any balls in the backroom, he says maybe a couple but they're dirty (who cares?). I tell him I only need 30 at this point since I don't have time for anymore, and he manages to locate 30 balls for me before going back for more for the ladies.

Just an absolutely baffling way to run a business. 😂

sunshine

Visit site

Not having a go at you, but I’ve never heard of an average golf club renowned for its catering. Never heard anyone mention Grims Dyke either. It’s just not a reason to visit a golf course.

I’ve heard people mention the food at top courses eg Swinley, but that is just part of the all round top notch experience.