Golf Random Irritations

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As above, the course will have been closed for two weeks come tomorrow. Initially for rain and saturated conditions, then snow last weekend, and now following a two-day dry spell we also have rain of biblical proportions, think of that scene in Caddyshack.

I have no doubt that tomorrow's notification will say, next inspection Monday.
So far this Autumn/Winter we have had course closures for waterlogging, snow, high winds and fog - first time I am set to play in weeks tomorrow and looking at the forecast I am actually hoping the course is closed again! :(

D-S

Visit site
That's disappointing to hear. Not been for a couple of years but never had a bad experience there.
It was an Open and basically it seemed as if the staff’s job was ushering us out of the way of the members. Though the staff were as accommodating as they could be, the whole vibe with the members bar, the members changing room as well as the attitude of members who pushed in front of us on 1st despite the fact we we’re teeing off on time 1st in an Open. The dress code (food that was included in the price only available if you had jacket and tie) insisting on long socks in 2023 is entirely their prerogative but we felt we were there under sufferance even though they were prepared to host and take our money for an “Open”.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Course has been closed for at least 2 weeks due to rain, then snow, then more rain. Saw some pictures during the week, place is waterlogged.

I'm down to play this morning, assumed it will be closed after yet more rain last night. We normally get a message from the club around 7.30 telling us if its open or closed. It's now 8.30, no message as yet. Can't phone the pro shop as it's not opening till 10am today.

It's 99.9% certain to be closed, so why the lack of message?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Course has been closed for at least 2 weeks due to rain, then snow, then more rain. Saw some pictures during the week, place is waterlogged.

I'm down to play this morning, assumed it will be closed after yet more rain last night. We normally get a message from the club around 7.30 telling us if its open or closed. It's now 8.30, no message as yet. Can't phone the pro shop as it's not opening till 10am today.

It will be closed. I've been driving around quite a bit this week, fields are flooded everywhere, even the A1 has been half flooded in parts since Thursday going north.

If it's actually open 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. It would be a nonsense.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Although we get a message virtually every day from November to April we work on the principle that the last message stands until another is received.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We're open, carry only and the rain is about to stop.
Sadly the wind is around 25-30 mph which means at least 10 more up at the club...
Thinking watch the animals at Leopard Creek...

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Worst autumn/winter weather I've known since I started playing again about 6/7 years ago. Just unplayable. Shop pros really struggling making money too 😕

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It will be closed. I've been driving around quite a bit this week, fields are flooded everywhere, even the A1 has been half flooded in parts since Thursday going north.

If it's actually open 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. It would be a nonsense.
Yes, I was certain it would be closed, but when you get a message every day, then nothing it does make you wonder whether it’s borderline.

I really don’t understand why, when it’s as bad as it’s been recently, and the forecast is poor, they can’t put the ‘closed’ message out the night before.

It’s the hope that kills you!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, I was certain it would be closed, but when you get a message every day, then nothing it does make you wonder whether it’s borderline.

I really don’t understand why, when it’s as bad as it’s been recently, and the forecast is poor, they can’t put the ‘closed’ message out the night before.

It’s the hope that kills you!
There are a few clubs that I follow on FB and for the last couple of weekends, this one included, they have cancelled the whole weekend on Friday. None of this day by day messing about. It's clear the course won't be open for days, that's without the rain forecast. Just close it and have done.

I'm guessing today was a mix up, whoever was supposed to call it off thought someone else was going to do it 🤷🏻‍♂️. Let's face it, it wouldn't have been a close decision 😄

venger

Visit site
Impatient golfers. Group behind is playing quicker than us yet they don’t want to play through. As soon as we have played our shots they are are stood waiting

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Impatient golfers. Group behind is playing quicker than us yet they don’t want to play through. As soon as we have played our shots they are are stood waiting
Of course they'll be waiting, but if they don't want to play through, then perhaps they're not impatient, just politely waiting? What else are they supposed to do?

You've offered to let them through and they've declined. No more you can do. Relax.

venger

Visit site
Of course they'll be waiting, but if they don't want to play through, then perhaps they're not impatient, just politely waiting? What else are they supposed to do?

You've offered to let them through and they've declined. No more you can do. Relax.
They seem to be in a hurry to play yet don’t want to play through, it seems a bit odd to me. Anyway we’ve managed to put a hole’s distance between us so I think we are good