Golf Random Irritations

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Clothes sizing.

Bought a pair of ProQuip trousers from Snainton. All my golf trousers are a 34 waist. Nike and Ping fit great, FJ a little bit tight, but fine to wear.

The ProQuips came yesterday. Really tight, a struggle to get them buttoned up.

I get that S/M/L can vary, but surely 34 inches is 34 inches?

Snainton don't do free returns so will cost me £4 to send them back which is also annoying.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Today I will be wearing all my warm clothes ready for golf.
Today I sat in the club lounge drinking coffee and having a natter.

Fog, fog and more fog

I am sure it got worse rather than better.

JayB

Visit site
Today I will be wearing all my warm clothes ready for golf.
Today I sat in the club lounge drinking coffee and having a natter.

Fog, fog and more fog

I am sure it got worse rather than better.
Stood on the tee box for a 128 yard par 3 and couldn't see the green, shocked the golf club are happy for play to continue

D-S

Visit site
We have a bunker, about 290 or so off the tee on the first. The guideline is that if you have been able to see that bunker clearly from the tee for 15 minutes or so (not just for a few seconds as the fog lifts and drops again), then play is atart/resume.
The number of people who claim this is a stupid rule as they can’t hit it that far and still moan when it is pointed out to them that it’s not just about them but about the players behind who might be able hit it a long way.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hearing spectators on the TV clapping and praising a Pro's drive as it flies 40 yards left into deep rough behind a tree........ :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 25172

The FJ Hydroknit waterproof zip jacket I bought in September is about as wet as an otters pocket.

D

Deleted member 25172

Mine leaked after about 6 months
Only used it 3-4 times so well dissapointed. Wasn’t even raining particularly heavy today and yet it goes through. Have sent Affordable golf an email. See what they say. They’ve got some Galvin Green on now for about £200 so happy to send this one back and pay the difference for that instead.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The teeing mat situation at my club is just baffling. You may have already seen me moan about how some of them are actually positioned longer than the white tees (most notably meaning I have to hit driver on our par 3 first!).

Well, our 14th is a newly completed hole this year. It's about 160 something off whites, trees down the left and bunkers right, so it's a tough hole, and unfortunately it's stroke 17 because they haven't redone those numbers yet. Now they've put the winter teeing mat longer than the whites again, and also tucked back on the left so the trees block out more of the left side of the green. I had to hit hybrid, off the deck because I couldn't get a tee in the mat far enough, and somehow not fade it when I fade 95% of my hybrid shots. On a hole I get no shot on. Absolute joke.

The club have bought some new teeing mats on some of the other holes as well. The positive is that they're the ones you can get a tee in anywhere. The negatives - they're elevated six inches off the ground which makes them feel almost bouncy when you step on them. And they don't feel quite wide enough for me so I think I'm going to stack it off the edge when I'm hitting driver.

Man I hate winter golf.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
The teeing mat situation at my club is just baffling. You may have already seen me moan about how some of them are actually positioned longer than the white tees (most notably meaning I have to hit driver on our par 3 first!).

Well, our 14th is a newly completed hole this year. It's about 160 something off whites, trees down the left and bunkers right, so it's a tough hole, and unfortunately it's stroke 17 because they haven't redone those numbers yet. Now they've put the winter teeing mat longer than the whites again, and also tucked back on the left so the trees block out more of the left side of the green. I had to hit hybrid, off the deck because I couldn't get a tee in the mat far enough, and somehow not fade it when I fade 95% of my hybrid shots. On a hole I get no shot on. Absolute joke.

The club have bought some new teeing mats on some of the other holes as well. The positive is that they're the ones you can get a tee in anywhere. The negatives - they're elevated six inches off the ground which makes them feel almost bouncy when you step on them. And they don't feel quite wide enough for me so I think I'm going to stack it off the edge when I'm hitting driver.

Man I hate winter golf.

If you hit the hybrid fat, that will bounce the ball into the air slightly giving the same effect as teeing it up.

Golfnut1957

Visit site

Man I hate winter golf.
Whiner!! At least you get to play. We still have two inches of snow and the only people on our course are the millions of sledgers who are wrecking the 17th (the best hill for miles). And, just to compound it tomorrow is forecast torrential rain which will of course wash away the snow, while flooding the course yet again.

I'd kill to hit the ball off a bouncy tee on a 170 yard par 3 that should be 160. I'd kill to hit the ball anywhere (the driving ranges are closed as well)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My clubs (and mainly playing partners) insistence to play "off the whites" rather than the yellows (at ours the blacks are the tips, whites members and yellows tee of day)

It's winter .. the blacks are away.. the course is playing longer because it's winter not as much run, yet they put some of the white tees on the blacks which is just frustrating (especially when it makes a par 3 200 yards)

Nothing more frustrating than coming off the 9th (par 5) and thinking right finally a short par 4 to get something going and bamn it's off the back tees

Least next weeks comp is off the yellows so we have no excuse to play off them lol 😆

sunshine

Visit site
My clubs (and mainly playing partners) insistence to play "off the whites" rather than the yellows (at ours the blacks are the tips, whites members and yellows tee of day)

It's winter .. the blacks are away.. the course is playing longer because it's winter not as much run, yet they put some of the white tees on the blacks which is just frustrating (especially when it makes a par 3 200 yards)

Nothing more frustrating than coming off the 9th (par 5) and thinking right finally a short par 4 to get something going and bamn it's off the back tees

Least next weeks comp is off the yellows so we have no excuse to play off them lol 😆
I thought your course advertised itself as a links. Should still be enough run.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just saw this... my dad has a set of these that he's had for 20 years. Unfortunately even the lowest one of them is not low enough for where I like to tee my hybrid/irons. For irons and wedges I just hit them off the mat because at least it's a flat lie with no grass so you don't really need the height. But with hybrid/woods I'd like a little bit of elevation - but it's either a full centimetre (too high) or nothing.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just saw this... my dad has a set of these that he's had for 20 years. Unfortunately even the lowest one of them is not low enough for where I like to tee my hybrid/irons. For irons and wedges I just hit them off the mat because at least it's a flat lie with no grass so you don't really need the height. But with hybrid/woods I'd like a little bit of elevation - but it's either a full centimetre (too high) or nothing.
Look around for lost light green castle tees..the ones that are 1/4 inch when in the ground.
File the spike off and Voilà.......

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Look around for lost light green castle tees..the ones that are 1/4 inch when in the ground.
File the spike off and Voilà.......
The height above the ground isn't the problem, even those ones don't go far enough into the mat. The ones I use are the short non-castle kind, so not really any longer than the green castles I don't think. And I did have a broken one of them to try, but it wouldn't sit flat enough and the ball kept toppling off. :LOL: