Golf Random Irritations

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No golf for me over the weekend, the brook that runs across our course flooded to levels never seen before and left the course with areas that were totally impassable.

Was really looking forward to the Greensomes comp too!
Not as much as I was looking forward to the write up of your performance! Please do not tell me you were hoping to play golf Sunday a.m. and then go a watch a bit of footie @4.30!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few weeks ago on our club's weekly update email they mentioned how the new catering team had opened a sausage/bacon roll food stall out the front by the pro shop, so breakfast rolls would be available on the weekends. Saturday morning I decide to give it a go, forgo my usual detour to Wenzels (nearby bakery). I stroll up and the bloody thing is closed. Too late for me to go elsewhere as well. Had to make do with a banana and oat bar from the pro shop.

Sent a complaint to the general manager, he forwarded my complaint to the catering team, and they wrote to me and apologised, but tried to explain that because rain was forecast they didn't think anyone would be playing so they didn't fancy opening it. I don't really care what the reason is, but if you're not going to open it an email needs to go out to the members telling them it's not open, since we've all been told it will be!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Not as much as I was looking forward to the write up of your performance! Please do not tell me you were hoping to play golf Sunday a.m. and then go a watch a bit of footie @4.30!

No Saturday! It was optimistic at best though after all the rain 😂

Mandofred

Visit site
Waiting on whether the golf course loses 9 holes or not. The church that owns half the land is finally going to sell.....they had been threatening for years. They could get a LOT of money if one thing wasn't there.....gypsum. The old front nine looks like a WW1 movie.....big bomb holes all over the place (gypsum collapsing). Can't really build houses on it.....evidently not ok for agriculture....who else would want it but crazy golfers? Meeting in a couple weeks for members to decide if they want to up the offer to £375-400K.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Waiting on whether the golf course loses 9 holes or not. The church that owns half the land is finally going to sell.....they had been threatening for years. They could get a LOT of money if one thing wasn't there.....gypsum. The old front nine looks like a WW1 movie.....big bomb holes all over the place (gypsum collapsing). Can't really build houses on it.....evidently not ok for agriculture....who else would want it but crazy golfers? Meeting in a couple weeks for members to decide if they want to up the offer to £375-400K.
Your current course?

I don't understand the first or last sentences. Are you saying that you may be able to buy the land from the church but they may also sell to someone else?

Even if someone else bought the land, would they get a change of use from the council?

Mandofred

Visit site
Your current course?

I don't understand the first or last sentences. Are you saying that you may be able to buy the land from the church but they may also sell to someone else?

Even if someone else bought the land, would they get a change of use from the council?
Not Oakdale.....Ripon. Ripon has LOTS of issues with collapsing ground. Evidently....the church has put the land up for sale. To fit within "charitible" rules they have to put the sale up for anybody to bid on it. Churches getting relief from taxes....is a whole other horrible discussion.

There are some restrictions on the land...one version is you can't build anything until 2048?.....then others say that if applied for....5 years could be possible. As my wife would agree with.....I am clueless.

If Ripon was closer than it is to me.....I'd be there next year only. Oakdale has tooooooo many blocked out days during the summer.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Course was closed yesterday, everywhere is waterlogged so only the links courses will be open. Just seen the forecast for the week, massive dump of midweek rain, and I don't see parkland courses being open next weekend either ☹.

Ah well, good for the reservoirs.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Course was closed yesterday, everywhere is waterlogged so only the links courses will be open. Just seen the forecast for the week, massive dump of midweek rain, and I don't see parkland courses being open next weekend either ☹.

Not so. According to South West Water's hygronomist, this is "the wrong type of rain" 😂

Golfnut1957

Visit site

We could probably start a thread dedicated to this titled Rain and the Future of Golf. Every course in the area is closed except Seaton and Cleveland even Hartlepool is closed, and it only ever closes for snow.

We opened Monday and closed Friday. With the rain we have had since Thursday the course is flooded in parts so we'll be lucky to see it open at all this week, or next with the rain that's forecast.

What with the intense periods of rain we had last winter, this summer and this current one of which no one knows when it will end, there is surely a danger to the viability of golf clubs. There will be a point when people look at what they are paying and at how often the course they pay to play on is unavailable and may have a hard decision to make.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
@Zig I know Seaton was open today, according to the website you had a bunker out of play on the 1st :rolleyes: Did you play and if so what sort of condition is it in considering the rain we have had.

Our 11th and 12th have an amazing collection of wild fowl on them.