Golf Random Irritations

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As the WHS is so high in people's minds right now, I was reading an old edition of Golf Monthly (1949) recently and the following letter makes a fine suggestion for further enhancing the WHS.

What a pity the author is unable to contribute to the thread, I feel they'd have some excellent points to make.

View attachment 48476
On hilly courses those with electric trollies should get a two shot penalty 🤣

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Today the talk was about the ratings

Golf England said our fairways are very wide which is why the slope is lower

My score today was differential of 25.7
Same score off old slope would be 24.3

So I can see my handicap being tougher to get back down to what it was a year ago

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Today the talk was about the ratings

Golf England said our fairways are very wide which is why the slope is lower

My score today was differential of 25.7
Same score off old slope would be 24.3

So I can see my handicap being tougher to get back down to what it was a year ago
You will clean up at other courses opens, I can here their members saying it now "That stranger turns up and takes our prize pot with 48 pts"

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You will clean up at other courses opens, I can here their members saying it now "That stranger turns up and takes our prize pot with 48 pts"

To be fair I find playing a diff course so much easier as you can be wilder off tee, if your off line at ours with "wide fairways" it's lost not another fairway

Our greens are massively slopely a quick so going to flattish slow greens is always a nice change of pace

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
To be fair I find playing a diff course so much easier as you can be wilder off tee, if your off line at ours with "wide fairways" it's lost not another fairway

Our greens are massively slopely a quick so going to flattish slow greens is always a nice change of pace
I'm not having a go but I don't get what the big deal is. The number of shots received is the same for everyone at your club.
It doesn't make you a better or worse golfer.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not having a go but I don't get what the big deal is. The number of shots received is the same for everyone at your club.
It doesn't make you a better or worse golfer.

Technically makes us worse if we hit same score for higher differential handicap would rise

But point taken

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
heel pain the day after I've played golf, even if it's just 9 holes

i've also got a sore hard lump next to my achillies

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
heel pain the day after I've played golf, even if it's just 9 holes

i've also got a sore hard lump next to my achillies
Plantar fasciitis? What shoes have you been wearing? I've had minor problems with it over the years but it's all dependant on the shoes I had. Since I started buying more expensive golf shoes (Eccos mainly) it kind of went away. I get it a tiny bit with my current Under Armour trainer style ones, but I'm persevering because I still like them. 😕

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Plantar fasciitis? What shoes have you been wearing? I've had minor problems with it over the years but it's all dependant on the shoes I had. Since I started buying more expensive golf shoes (Eccos mainly) it kind of went away. I get it a tiny bit with my current Under Armour trainer style ones, but I'm persevering because I still like them. 😕
it seems like that is the cause.

I have tried wearing all my shoes - FJ, Addidas, Skechers and Mixuno and stil getting the pain.

fingers crossed the new inner soles i've ordered will help

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I have tried wearing all my shoes - FJ, Addidas, Skechers and Mixuno and stil getting the pain.

Pro wellbeing 11 insoles

I have them in every single pair of shoes I own because of the pain

My wife recently had foot pain, moaned at me for weeks over it , I said just buy the insoles

Pains gone

sjw

Visit site
🤣🤣🤣 You should win an award for that statement. Most absurd comment I’ve read on here.
I think what was meant (although not well articulated) is that scoring a high score on a hard course will not "harm" your handicap in any way; you're not at a disadvantage vs someone who plays "easier" courses all the time.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Being told it is unsportsmanlike to time your opponent looking for their ball and he can’t play the ball he just found as it’s well over 5 minutes, never mind the 3 you are allowed to search.

What is it then, being the person who was timed and would like to continue with said ball?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
🤣🤣🤣 You should win an award for that statement. Most absurd comment I’ve read on here.
How can a statement of fact can be absurd.

The purpose of course ratings and slope ratings is to make all courses the same for all players in terms of degree of difficulty.
Is this also an absurd comment?

sunshine

Visit site
How can a statement of fact can be absurd.

The purpose of course ratings and slope ratings is to make all courses the same for all players in terms of degree of difficulty.
Is this also an absurd comment?

Carnoustie in a gale off the championship tees doesn’t suddenly become easy because it has a high slope rating. It’s still hard as nails.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I use insoles in any pair that I don’t believe are giving sufficient support and I’ve not had any problems for a couple of years now.