Golf Random Irritations

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Two weeks running we have let a smaller/faster following group play through, both times they were upset about being let through :rolleyes:

First was a single last weekend (who's only wait was about 2 mins a couple of holes previous) but when he reached us he could only complain that one of our group shouldn’t be walking (it was originally a buggy only course several years ago but not been that for some time) but he couldn’t be told his belief was far out of date and kept moaning before things got a tad heated between him and one of our group
Then yesterday we let a pair through as soon as they caught us while we were on a par 3, they’d zoomed up pretty rapidly on previous hole and could clearly hit a decent ball so after we tee'd off we went forward, marked our balls on the green, stood aside and called them to play up. Apparently that was somehow to blame for one of the lads topping it into the long grass & the other missing the green so both didn't finish the hole, we were again moaned at as we ‘should’ve’ just finished the hole & not called them up!

I know what you're all thinking, there's two sides to every story and all that... well there isn't, this is it, its all here, they were just crackers! :p

AddisonRoad

Visit site
.... people pulling out of society days with just a few days to spare

Been organising my society for a while now and it never ceases to amaze me how late people are willing to pull out. In fact, this time around, I've had someone pull out only when I contacted them to triple-check they were coming (they RSVPd and received multiple further emails confirming details, even as late as last week). I think I'll be banning these types of offenders moving forward - the lack of consideration is jarring!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
.... people pulling out of society days with just a few days to spare

Been organising my society for a while now and it never ceases to amaze me how late people are willing to pull out. In fact, this time around, I've had someone pull out only when I contacted them to triple-check they were coming (they RSVPd and received multiple further emails confirming details, even as late as last week). I think I'll be banning these types of offenders moving forward - the lack of consideration is jarring!

Gave up on arraning these sorts of things. Unless I took the full payment up front, people were willing to bail out right up to the last second and leave eveyone in the lurch. When I moved to wanting payment up front so as I could give the space to someone for free if anyone bailed last minute people stopped being interested in away days. It is a thankless task and I tip my cap to anyone who does the arranging.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
People that hole out in stableford comps.....when they can't score
9 for 7 for zero points

What's that about??
I guess they like to know what their true gross score is every round. Or they just dislike Stableford so ignore the format and play it as if it's a medal.

I'm the opposite, will happily pick up the ball and then improve my final gross by counting it as a 7 instead of an 8 or 9 anyway. ?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I guess they like to know what their true gross score is every round. Or they just dislike Stableford so ignore the format and play it as if it's a medal.

I'm the opposite, will happily pick up the ball and then improve my final gross by counting it as a 7 instead of an 8 or 9 anyway. ?

Folk who keep full medal score during a Stableford are ok, provided they are up behind the game in front, and well clear of the game behind.

Holing one or two over a "point" isn't too bad, any more isnt nice for playing partners

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Having a work-free day on Friday and toyed with the idea of going up to Hillside until I realised it's a 400 mile, 7 hour round trip....
Not convinced it's worth it....:(

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
When Dr Stableford came up with the points scoring system he said that the 7/8 allowance was to prevent anyone with the maximum handicap of 21 getting more than one shot on a hole as that would be ungentlemanly.
He was not joking.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How nauseatingly smug. We can’t all be 4.1 handicappers. As an ex County player, I would probably thrash you at chess … but I wouldn’t mock your rating.
I get it though - I would never knock the player themselves, but the system itself that allows it. I still think they should have capped it at 36. I played with a 41 handicapper recently, and he was literally just throwing shots away at times - with a bit of common sense it shouldn't be too difficult for any able-bodied player to get to 36 handicap level.

Still, I wouldn't say it's a big irritation since you rarely ever meet anyone who's actually that high (or I don't anyway).

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Certainly more specific than random but most definitely an irritant...

For those that know me or have followed any posts from me over the last few years, you may know I was involved in an accident a few years ago that left me badly injured and with seriously restricted movement in my shoulder. I was initially advised I would not play golf again due to it.
I underwent a lot of recovery and physio, exercises to strengthen and improve movement and, eventually (nearly 2.5 years later) I got back to playing and was actually doing ok. I had lost distance but was more accurate and as such my scores were improving, the majority of my rounds were mid to high 70s and I got my HC back and got myself down to 7 (I'm still a crap putter, that didn't change!).

About 3 months ago, I started getting pains in my right arm, just above my elbow, after playing. I didn't think too much of it. Over the following weeks it became bad, I mean really bad, in that I couldn't grip the club and swing it.

FFW to today, I have torn tendons in my arm and the root cause appears to be the way I now swing a golf club due to the limitations in my shoulder putting strain elsewhere. So my solution was actually harmful.

I now need to weigh up if it's worth trying to find a new solution or just give it up altogether. It's certainly vexing if not irritating.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

For those that know me or have followed any posts from me over the last few years, you may know I was involved in an accident a few years ago that left me badly injured and with seriously restricted movement in my shoulder. I was initially advised I would not play golf again due to it.
I underwent a lot of recovery and physio, exercises to strengthen and improve movement and, eventually (nearly 2.5 years later) I got back to playing and was actually doing ok. I had lost distance but was more accurate and as such my scores were improving, the majority of my rounds were mid to high 70s and I got my HC back and got myself down to 7 (I'm still a crap putter, that didn't change!).

About 3 months ago, I started getting pains in my right arm, just above my elbow, after playing. I didn't think too much of it. Over the following weeks it became bad, I mean really bad, in that I couldn't grip the club and swing it.

FFW to today, I have torn tendons in my arm and the root cause appears to be the way I now swing a golf club due to the limitations in my shoulder putting strain elsewhere. So my solution was actually harmful.

I now need to weigh up if it's worth trying to find a new solution or just give it up altogether. It's certainly vexing if not irritating.

Jeez Greig that’s not a good read. Your still a bit on the young side to be popping down to the bowling club in your whites on a weekend, so in your place I’d be looking to see how to keep playing. Hope it works out (y)

(failing that I’ll give you £50 for your clubs!)

;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

That is harsh. One of the beauties of golf that brought me back to the game was the thought that it's a sport I can play for the rest of my life, when the likes of football have fallen away. The idea of that not being the case is unthinkable. I hope you can sit down with a physio or someone similar and work out a way to keep playing.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Every now and then an army of geese flock onto hole 13 and cover the whole 350 yards in poo

Maybe it’s wrong when i’m hoping any duffed shot hits one

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
People that hole out in stableford comps.....when they can't score
9 for 7 for zero points

What's that about??

Been thinking about this.

I'm entering my first Stableford comp this Friday. I don't really play comps, prefer to play with friends and for fun but fancied the weekly Stableford this week.

Are you right in saying that if I need 6 for a point and I miss, I can just put 7 on my card and pick up?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Been thinking about this.

I'm entering my first Stableford comp this Friday. I don't really play comps, prefer to play with friends and for fun but fancied the weekly Stableford this week.

Are you right in saying that if I need 6 for a point and I miss, I can just put 7 on my card and pick up?

No, put NR on your card.