Golf Random Irritations

BridgfordBlue

Visit site
I don’t normally use expensive balls as I play off around 18 and still lose too many to make it worth it. About a month and a half ago though, my wife bought me a sleeve of pro vs and I’ve been loving them. The first two balls both lasted me five rounds each - one ended up being too scuffed and I lost the other.

Played after work today and thought I’d use the last one. First four holes, I’ve gone par, birdie, par, par. Im striking it wonderfully and loving life. Fifth hole, there’s a few grass stains on the ball and I see a ball cleaner, so decide to give that a go. I push down on it, pull it back up and the ball has completely disappeared! There’s no one playing behind us so me and my playing partner spend five minutes trying to get our hands in under these brushes that were that stiff, it felt like rubbing your hands on a cheese grater, but can’t even find where it is let alone try and get it back.

Like I said, I still lose a ball every round or two. I have never in my life lost a ball in a sodding ball cleaner though and it has to be the expensive one the one time I do it!

Needless to say, the round went a bit to pot after it! I’m still thinking of driving back there tomorrow armed with a screwdriver and a small axe to try and get it back, even though it’ll cost me more in petrol getting there than just buying another sleeve…

Stupid ball cleaner.

Last edited:

RRidges

Visit site
True enough. You can turn it on when it's needed, no need to use it other than that
I set mine to silent and check every few holes, just in case there's an emergency. Nothing worse than having a phone ring during a swing. If I'm on-call, I don't play.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I don’t normally use expensive balls as I play off around 18 and still lose too many to make it worth it. About a month and a half ago though, my wife bought me a sleeve of pro vs and I’ve been loving them. The first two balls both lasted me five rounds each - one ended up being too scuffed and I lost the other.

Played after work today and thought I’d use the last one. First four holes, I’ve gone par, birdie, par, par. Im striking it wonderfully and loving life. Fifth hole, there’s a few grass stains on the ball and I see a ball cleaner, so decide to give that a go. I push down on it, pull it back up and the ball has completely disappeared! There’s no one playing behind us so me and my playing partner spend five minutes trying to get our hands in under these brushes that were that stiff, it felt like rubbing your hands on a cheese grater, but can’t even find where it is let alone try and get it back.

Like I said, I still lose a ball every round or two. I have never in my life lost a ball in a sodding ball cleaner though and it has to be the expensive one the one time I do it!

Needless to say, the round went a bit to pot after it! I’m still thinking of driving back there tomorrow armed with a screwdriver and a small axe to try and get it back, even though it’ll cost me more in petrol getting there than just buying another sleeve…

Stupid ball cleaner.

Brilliant ?
Perfect tale for the thread

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Should I have to play a fade off the tee to play round a tree protecting the RHS of the fairway when the fairway falls hard from right to left, running down into a line of trees from which there is no shot to the green. There was no straight shot to the top of the RHS of the fairway, and as far as I could work out there was no straight shot I could hit that would keep me on the fairway. Not a big deal as I can hit a strong fade, but many can't.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Until about 2 yrs ago I was an absolute non-believer and eschewed any form of tech for distance measuring. Then I relented and accepted I should buy a laser rangefinder - and I now use it all the time and find it invaluable.

Then today - on the 16th...it just died (flat battery I guess but never noticed it coming). And I was utterly lost and bamboozled...what to do. No idea of distance and I suddenly realised how dependent I had become on it. How bleedin' irritating.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Until about 2 yrs ago I was an absolute non-believer and eschewed any form of tech for distance measuring. Then I relented and accepted I should buy a laser rangefinder - and I now use it all the time and find it invaluable.

Then today - on the 16th...it just died (flat battery I guess but never noticed it coming). And I was utterly lost and bamboozled...what to do. No idea of distance and I suddenly realised how dependent I had become on it. How bleedin' irritating.

I played a match play the other day without my phone (and therefore distances) I felt totally alone.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Should I have to play a fade off the tee to play round a tree protecting the RHS of the fairway when the fairway falls hard from right to left, running down into a line of trees from which there is no shot to the green. There was no straight shot to the top of the RHS of the fairway, and as far as I could work out there was no straight shot I could hit that would keep me on the fairway. Not a big deal as I can hit a strong fade, but many can't.
Count yourself lucky. I can think of a par 4 where there is no tee shot of any shape whatsoever that will keep you on the fairway. (Pinner Hill 12th)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Stupid ball cleaner.
The born loser ???

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Count yourself lucky. I can think of a par 4 where there is no tee shot of any shape whatsoever that will keep you on the fairway. (Pinner Hill 12th)
A bit like Crowborough Beacon in these current conditions. Only difference is that it applies to most fairways and/or shots into the green. :(

Great course though, when the greens are good.

Edit - haven't played there for about 3 years so can't really comment on the current greens condition.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh I get that sort of hole, and it's frustrations, but when all of the middle and right thirds of a fairway are not accessible off the tee unless you can fade your ball round a tree maybe 50yds from the front of the tee? Tee on lhs of teeing ground and no such issue.

sunshine

Visit site

???
With the current weather I’m guessing it’s not possible to hold the 13th or 16th fairways either

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It took less than 20 minutes for the Cam Smith WITB posts to hit social media...
Really..who cares what he used?
The chances of any of it being of any use to any of us are so remote it's not worth calculating.

RRidges

Visit site
Some can't hit anything BUT a strong fade!
But it's quite legitimate to reward someone who can shape shots.