Golf Random Irritations

peld

Visit site
For years I have played in the Dorset County championships and have easily got into the field of 60 players with a handicap of 3. In past years 6 and 7 handicaps have easily qualified to play. The highest handicaps are ballotted out. Last year I was ballotted out when my handicap index was 2.7. I’m not entering this year as I am on holiday but have looked at the start sheet out of interest. The highest handicap is 1.3?‍♂️ These fields of really low handicaps only seem to have happened since the introduction of WHS. Maybe I’m being cynical but it seems odd that the required handicap to make the field of competition has become much lower than it has been in such a short time.
WHS makes handicaps too high!
WHS makes handicaps too low!

Mandofred

Visit site
use the EG app
That has it's own....issues. Not so much with EG, but with the people I play with. Of the 6 regulars that play on M/W/F, there are 2 of us that have the EG app on our phones.....so as long as both of us are playing in the same group we can do it.....the others can't be bothered, having one app (IG) is good enough for them (don't blame them I guess). I "think" last year I was chucking most of my scores in using Club V1 (different clubs last season). IFFFFF that was what I was using, all I had to do was put in the name of one of my playing partners who could verify a score if needed and I just used my phone and put in the score after every hole. Any idea if Club V1 communicates/can be used with IG? If it does, and it was what I was using last year, it was easier to me.

D

Deleted member 15344

That has it's own....issues. Not so much with EG, but with the people I play with. Of the 6 regulars that play on M/W/F, there are 2 of us that have the EG app on our phones.....so as long as both of us are playing in the same group we can do it.....the others can't be bothered, having one app (IG) is good enough for them (don't blame them I guess). I "think" last year I was chucking most of my scores in using Club V1 (different clubs last season). IFFFFF that was what I was using, all I had to do was put in the name of one of my playing partners who could verify a score if needed and I just used my phone and put in the score after every hole. Any idea if Club V1 communicates/can be used with IG? If it does, and it was what I was using last year, it was easier to me.

CLub V1 is a different ISV to IG - they are separate

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gimmies....

I've never been a fan. I've always had the reputation for not giving them unless they are a foot or less. I've always thought of them as something that has always been abused by a lot of golfers.....but usually in the act of trying to "be nice" to other golfers. It always seems to start with short putts...but as time goes on the gimmies get longer and longer until they finally get a little silly. When I changed to the new club at the end of March I joined two groups. The smaller group still gives putts up to around 18 inches, which I can kind of live with since it hasn't gotten any longer than that. The larger group was giving putts out to about 3 feet and I think a little more than that. The first few times I played and someone said to "take it"...I just kind of looked at them and said something like "You gotta be kidding me, I miss these all the time". Evidently I must of stirred something up with other people as well....when I played with them last Saturday they were back to putting everything out. I played with two other guys in this group last week....one wasn't too happy about having to putt things out and didn't think it was very "nice". The other guy (somewhat younger) just said that he was fine with it since the rollup/swindle was supposed to be a group that was interested in being social, but with a slight competitive twist. I thought that was a good way of putting it.

Just my opinion....but if it's a gimmie....you shouldn't have to think about it, you should be able to just walk up and tap it in without having to think about it. It should literally only take an extra couple of seconds to put that ball in the hole....so it shouldn't slow things down at all.

Here's a very important point about gimme putts: They are not allowed under the rules. Gimmies cannot be used in any round of golf played under The Rules of Golf, at least not by golfers who want to claim they are abiding by the rules. A golfer who does claim a gimmie in a round of golf played under the rules — a tournament round, a handicap round, any round in which golfers are supposed to be abiding by the rulebook — is actually committing a penalty.
What about the old use of the gimmie stick. We have been discussing this in our roll ups. Gimmies are used to help pace of play, buts its becoming evident some are on the generous sidebwith them, usually the poor putters. ??

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
What about the old use of the gimmie stick. We have been discussing this in our roll ups. Gimmies are used to help pace of play, buts its becoming evident some are on the generous sidebwith them, usually the poor putters. ??

Does picking the ball up from ‘gimmie’ range rather than tapping in really speed up the game?

Sounds like an excuse to me.

Mandofred

Visit site
Does picking the ball up from ‘gimmie’ range rather than tapping in really speed up the game?

That's always been my point. If it is really a gimmie, shouldn't you be able to just tap it in without thinking about it? A real gimmie shouldn't take any time at all. If you have to stop and be careful.....it's not a gimmie, putt the dang thing and be careful. If my ball is 2 feet from the hole, I'm going to take a couple seconds to get comfortable and try to make a good putt. How many 18 inch putts have I had just lip in (a bad putt), and if I'd been a few inches further away it wouldn't have gone in at all? Zillions....maybe more:eek:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We typically do within half a putter length as a gimme. Anything outside of that is outside the 'circle of love'.

If we're submitting cards to EG, then we literally putt everything unless it's like 3 inches away - then we give a gimme.
If you're putting in a card for handicap then those 3 inchers need to go in too....
Before WHS we played gimmees a lot..but since I worked out that I hadn't had to make a 15 inch putt for several weeks - and missed one - we decided to putt out.
If you never putt these 10-20 inch putts then you get out of the habit of holing them..

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Well the 5-10 seconds saved by picking up is the same time it takes to write '5' on a scorecard on the green... and we're always being told that's a hanging offence and responsible for 5hr rounds :p

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We typically do within half a putter length as a gimme. Anything outside of that is outside the 'circle of love'.

If we're submitting cards to EG, then we literally putt everything unless it's like 3 inches away - then we give a gimme.

Now where’s my pop corn and sports direct jumbo mug? This is going to be fun…….

Mandofred

Visit site
As long as I'm on a roll....

Golfers that cheat, but don't think they do.

I'm guilty of the first, but not the second. I cheat all the time. The one I do the most.....marking my ball on the green. When I put the ball back down, if it rolls into a hole/depression in the green, I just move it 1/4" one direction sideways until it gets out of that hole. Now....if I was to follow the rules....I'd pick the ball back up, get out my green fork and fluff up things until the ball sat nice and level (are most people willing to wait while I manicure the green?...don't think so). The one I see abused the most.....preferred lies on the fairway, but used in the rough. Almost everybody I know does that. The ball is sitting on a bare patch of mud....no chance of getting the ball out without digging a trench that doesn't hit oil....just move it to some grass that is still there in the winter.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you're putting in a card for handicap then those 3 inchers need to go in too....
Before WHS we played gimmees a lot..but since I worked out that I hadn't had to make a 15 inch putt for several weeks - and missed one - we decided to putt out.
If you never putt these 10-20 inch putts then you get out of the habit of holing them..

Absolutely. This year I have played a lot of 4BBB match play for my club’s seniors against other clubs. Quite a lot of gimmes depending on the state of the game. Today I played in a club stableford comp and missed TWO short putts that could, in a match play situation, have been gimmes. Out of practice! The trouble is that, if in a match our opponents say “take it away” and I say “no thanks, I will putt out as I need the practice”, my partner is not going to be too pleased if I miss! ??