Golf Random Irritations

Visit site
I can't be bothered to check back but didn't he say that ladies receive further shots for having to play off the back tees with the men?

Ah, could be the case I guess - ladies given a handicap of 4 off the reds and further adjusted for playing off the whites.

My regular PP was meant to be playing this year, had to withdraw last minute but is going to play next year. I’ll tell him to watch out for the ladies ?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I can't be bothered to check back but didn't he say that ladies receive further shots for having to play off the back tees with the men?
My reading of things is that that because the tees being used aren't rated for ladies, they were arbitrarily given handicaps of 4, even though their actual WHS indexes are around the +5 mark.

What I can't understand is if this is a regular event at Sunningdale, why haven't they had their back tees rated for ladies?
If they did, then the ladies could play off their correct WHS playing handicap without needing to give them some kind of arbitrary equalising shots.

EDIT: OK, seen the link given by Homer, so please ignore the above. Seems to me that the handicapping rules in this event have probably been they way they are for decades, and it's all based on tradition than anything that would be objectively "fair".

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
D

Deleted member 23270

I'm not fully clue'd up on the rules for this competition but I think the 4 shot allowance is to compensate for playing off the back tees so I think the answer is no they don't.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I’m also confused, foursomes is 50% of the combined handicap. So if the girls are each given a handicap of 4, they would have a team handicap of 4. And likewise, the men off +1 would get a handicap of +1. 5 shots would be given, and that doesn’t seem unreasonable at all given that they are playing from the same tees.

The ladies would get shots at 14 and 16, so if the match finished 6&5 at 13(?) then they’d only had 3 shots up to that point and would have to have been ahead on a scratch basis at that point. And I can’t see how anyone can have complaints on that basis.
That's 'normal' Foursomes, which use 'official' handicaps. Sunningdale Foursomes team handicap is the sum of individual handicaps, as per the +1, 0, 2, 4 allocation.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But as been pointed out to you more than once, Sunningdale in the scheme of things isn't a long course even for elite female players. If dedicated sites orientated towards women (https://womenandgolf.com/) aren't singing from the rooftops then you have to wonder where the drive to publicise the game is. As for banging on about playing off level, they don't so why bother keep mentioning it
My post was about my disappointment about the comments being posted by some on social media and the streaming youtube channel saying that the handicapping used by Sunningdale was unfair on the pros; that it made the final boring - and implying that the girls were somehow unworthy winners (even though the match would have been about all square after 13 had absolutely no shots been given).

I really don’t know where you have got your idea that I have been complaining about ‘lack of coverage’ or ‘ lack of publicity of the win’ as i have absolutely no such concerns. And if you read into what I posted that I did, then apologies for not being clear.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Although that's not surprising when they have a 38 yard par 4 off the tips!

View attachment 41842
https://www.sunningdalegolfclub.co.uk/old_course_scorecard
Don’t forget that pairs don’t just play the Old course. They also have matches on the longer New course (in fact I think the semi-finals were played on the New), and the same handicaps apply. I note also that the handicap allowances will probably take into consideration that there are some very short par 4s on the Old especially. Holes that gents pros can drive, unlikely for even the very longest ladies, and these holes will not generally be shot holes. Plus the fact that only 6 times previously in the history of the comp have a ladies pair won it suggests Sunningdale have their handicapping right.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Don’t forget that pairs don’t just play the Old course. They also have matches on the longer New course (in fact I think the semi-finals were played on the New), and the same handicaps apply. I note also that the handicap allowances will probably take into consideration that there are some very short par 4s on the Old especially. Holes that gents pros can drive, unlikely for even the very longest ladies, and these holes will not generally be shot holes. Plus the fact that only 6 times previously in the history of the comp have a ladies pair won it suggests Sunningdale have their handicapping right.
All from 1982. And while it might reflect to 'social' aspect of the tournament, there have been plenty of mixed winners or finalists. In fact, from 2014 to 2020 (the last previous result on their list) there has only been 1 winning all-male pair.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My post was about my disappointment about the comments being posted by some on social media and the streaming youtube channel saying that the handicapping used by Sunningdale was unfair on the pros; that it made the final boring - and implying that the girls were somehow unworthy winners (even though the match would have been about all square after 13 had absolutely no shots been given).

I really don’t know where you have got your idea that I have been complaining about ‘lack of coverage’ or ‘ lack of publicity of the win’ as i have absolutely no such concerns. And if you read into what I posted that I did, then apologies for not being clear.

Why do you keep banging on about "being all square after 13". The handicaps were set well before the even and every team knew how many shots they would get/give. I was simply saying you would have thought the ladies women would have got coverage in a womens golf only publication. Maybe they see them as "unworthy"?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Why do you keep banging on about "being all square after 13". The handicaps were set well before the even and every team knew how many shots they would get/give. I was simply saying you would have thought the ladies women would have got coverage in a womens golf only publication. Maybe they see them as "unworthy"?
Because you keep asking that same question and as mentioned some of the social media whinging was about unfairness around the handicaps and that somehow the girls didn’t deserve to win…and I give the same answer…that in fact even without the shots they were receiving they were competing neck and neck with the guys. I have not made any complaining comments about the handicaps or the coverage, in fact on the contrary.

And so for those who are interested…and who are unaware…

https://read.nxtbook.com/global_gol...medium=email&utm_campaign=dm-031422&dm_i=4ON0

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Course closed again today due to yesterday’s monsoon weather. Frosty this morning. This weather can do one now. I don’t normally suffer with SAD but stuck in doors all day working from home is not helping.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Course closed again today due to yesterday’s monsoon weather. Frosty this morning. This weather can do one now. I don’t normally suffer with SAD but stuck in doors all day working from home is not helping.
I don't know about your way, but after that 20 odd hours of rain we just had, my weather apps are predicting sun for a whole week now.

D

Deleted member 21258

Chunking about six 20-60 yard shots, and not getting to the green.