Golf Random Irritations

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Golf clubs that claim you can make a booking by emailing them, and then ignore said emails.

I recently had an experience which went:

Phone: rings through to answerphone "please email proshop@course..."
Email: auto-reply "we're busy, please phone the pro shop..."

We didn't play there...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

We didn't play there...
Reminds me of when you email 'Dave' let's say at work and get 'Out of the office - please contact Bill'. Email Bill and it's 'Out of the office - please contact Dave'. :LOL:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Reminds me of when you email 'Dave' let's say at work and get 'Out of the office - please contact Bill'. Email Bill and it's 'Out of the office - please contact Dave'. :LOL:

I only set my OoO when I’m away for a week or more. Most emails are nonsense arse covering by people who are unable to make the decisions they are paid to. So my OoO simply reads.

Thank you for your email. I am away from the office with no access to emails. Please make contact again after [date].

I’ll take a quick look down the unread messages to see if there was anything catastrophic to deal with, then mark everything as read and crack on with the day.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only set my OoO when I’m away for a week or more. Most emails are nonsense arse covering by people who are unable to make the decisions they are paid to. So my OoO simply reads.

Thank you for your email. I am away from the office with no access to emails. Please make contact again after [date].

I’ll take a quick look down the unread messages to see if there was anything catastrophic to deal with, then mark everything as read and crack on with the day.
Same for me really. I'm the only person who does my job on the team, so if I'm away for a day or two my message just says "I'm out of the office, returning on _day." I would only arrange cover if I was off for longer than 3 days probably!

HeftyHacker

Visit site

Reminds me of our succession planning at work.

GM: "So Brian will be retiring this year, who have we got in line to replace him?"

MANAGER: "Steve and Sarah"

GM: "OK, I can't help but notice that both Steve and Sarah are close to retirement age as well. Given its likely we'll have a round of VRs in the next year or so, are we really expecting them to stay around?"

MANAGER: "oh... I hadn't considered that"

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

(False names used)

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site

We didn't play there...

These sorts of thigs are really irritating. There are certain activities that require no special skill to do properly, yet many businesses and organisations get them wrong.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No. You moaned about a lack of exposure and then brought in the subject of handicaps. I was just disagreeing and pointing out everyone is aware of the handicapping before they start. What year did women start competing? Why should it be biased towards women. They enter knowing the rules and handicapping. It has worked perfectly well and is a unique event so why tamper with it
I never mentioned exposure or lack of it…and if I implied it I didn’t mean to. There was streamed coverage every day and the final was streamed live. My complaint was about the negative comments being made by some on social media and on the youtube channel that seems to be aimed at casting a shadow on the success of the girls.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I can’t work out if Homer is arguing against you or with you !! How odd.
Don’t think it’s healthy to use pejorative terms like ‘complaining’. I’m not sure the rules of the comp were ready for these 2 golfers, clearly very talented, clearly don’t need 4 shots. You can’t be revisionist but it might need looking at going forward
No I don’t know either. He seems to be agreeing with me at the same time as disagreeing with me…

The problem with saying a good female amateur doesn’t need a handicap,of four (shots are determined by aggregated difference with the opponents) is that many will. It’s foursomes remember and even in a male/female pairing the girl is going to be playing half of the tee shots from the gents competition tees. And for many girls/ladies that‘s going to be difficult and problematic, and it’s going to be difficult when a mixed foursomes pairing plays a couple of male pros. Off the same tees…? Now that’s a tough ask.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that's misrepresenting it a bit. But the sum total of my knowledge of the format of this event has been gleaned from this thread so I'm leaving it there! ;)
Correct. Nobody is accusing the girls of being bandits, after all Sunningdale allocate the handicaps according to the category of player, with gents pros playing off +1 and amateur girls playing off 4. Bottom line is that two amateur girls played excellent tough matchplay golf in difficult conditions, and beat a couple of decent male pros.

And unfortunately a few seems to think the Sunningdale handicapping system was unfair on the pros…but as I have noted…if they’d being playing off scratch the match would have been about all-square after 13.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golf commentary (across the globe) and how lazy and cliched it is. It makes football punditry seem Shakespearian by comparison.

And on top of that cliched existence, they kept going on about how they were handling the pressure of coming down the straight on a Sunday... It's a **** Monday you utter bell-ends. And on top of that, babbling on about making it to the weekend when it's bloody Sunday and the weekend is nearly over, you utter twonks.

And, on top of that, McGinley and his "half a club short" constant drivel... I'm sorry Paul, I didn't pack my ****** 7 and a half iron this week you absolute hairy beanbag...

Aaannnnd breathe...

So yeah, couple of irritants "this weekend"

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Golf commentary (across the globe) and how lazy and cliched it is. It makes football punditry seem Shakespearian by comparison.

And on top of that cliched existence, they kept going on about how they were handling the pressure of coming down the straight on a Sunday... It's a **** Monday you utter bell-ends. And on top of that, babbling on about making it to the weekend when it's bloody Sunday and the weekend is nearly over, you utter twonks.

And, on top of that, McGinley and his "half a club short" constant drivel... I'm sorry Paul, I didn't pack my ****** 7 and a half iron this week you absolute hairy beanbag...

Aaannnnd breathe...

So yeah, couple of irritants "this weekend"
Totally agree about McGinley, God can he talk, why not just let us enjoy the golf? We can all see what is going on.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No I don’t know either. He seems to be agreeing with me at the same time as disagreeing with me…

The problem with saying a good female amateur doesn’t need a handicap,of four (shots are determined by aggregated difference with the opponents) is that many will. It’s foursomes remember and even in a male/female pairing the girl is going to be playing half of the tee shots from the gents competition tees. And for many girls/ladies that‘s going to be difficult and problematic, and it’s going to be difficult when a mixed foursomes pairing plays a couple of male pros. Off the same tees…? Now that’s a tough ask.

But as been pointed out to you more than once, Sunningdale in the scheme of things isn't a long course even for elite female players. If dedicated sites orientated towards women (https://womenandgolf.com/) aren't singing from the rooftops then you have to wonder where the drive to publicise the game is. As for banging on about playing off level, they don't so why bother keep mentioning it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I cannot see a single redeeming feature in McGinley’s contribution. Most commentators or summarisers have something, even if they are not that good overall … but PM? Nah!

Not even great in the build up where you have scope to describe more than just the shot being played. He can't set a scene, build any sort of pre-tee tension, describe the challenges of anything of interest about the players. Also you can tick how many time he mentions the RC and his influence on it. Sky did well in dropping Roe to the very bottom of the list of their preferred presenters and time they do the same with PM

Leftitshort

Visit site
But as been pointed out to you more than once, Sunningdale in the scheme of things isn't a long course even for elite female players. If dedicated sites orientated towards women (https://womenandgolf.com/) aren't singing from the rooftops then you have to wonder where the drive to publicise the game is. As for banging on about playing off level, they don't so why bother keep mentioning it
If another poster responded to you in the way you respond to Hogie, You’d be wearing out the report button. Your replies seem a tad angry to me. Maybe pop a few CBD gummies and chill out

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some quite bitter and angry Social media whinges during the live broadcast of two 17/18 yr old girl amateurs winning the Sunningdale Foursomes beating two men professionals with match finishing on 13th. The whinging verged on the sexist saying it was unfair on the pros that the girls got 10 shots - being amateur ladies they each played off four; and the pros both played off +1…so aggregate 10. Well that’s the format and it’s worked for 88 yrs…with only six female pairings previous winners.

Why do female amateurs play off handicap of four? Well they have to play off same very back competition tees as the gents and round Sunningdale that’s quite a way back. And that is going to be tough. Thing is these two amateur girls are two of the very best in the UK, and hit the ball a long way…often as far as the pros, plus their short games are razor sharp.

What a pity that some blokes chose to whinge rather than celebrate a great win (the winner had to win 8 ko matches this year) in terrible and difficult conditions by two young and brilliant female players.
Baffled? Forget the why's and wherefore's of the actual handicaps, but if the two women are playing off 4, and the two men playing off +1, in foursomes aren't the team handicaps 4 and +1 respectively? Equals 5 shots given. Where does the 10 shots come from? Or have i missed something?

(Ps - I dont care about the actual handicaps. Thats the format, the ladies won, and well done)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

Baffled? Forget the why's and wherefore's of the actual handicaps, but if the two women are playing off 4, and the two men playing off +1, in foursomes aren't the team handicaps 4 and +1 respectively? Equals 5 shots given. Where does the 10 shots come from? Or have i missed something?

(Ps - I dont care about the actual handicaps. Thats the format, the ladies won, and well done)
The women have a combined handicap of 8 and the men +2 which gives the 10 shot differential although I don't know what %age you get in foursomes.

Visit site
I’m also confused, foursomes is 50% of the combined handicap. So if the girls are each given a handicap of 4, they would have a team handicap of 4. And likewise, the men off +1 would get a handicap of +1. 5 shots would be given, and that doesn’t seem unreasonable at all given that they are playing from the same tees.

The ladies would get shots at 14 and 16, so if the match finished 6&5 at 13(?) then they’d only had 3 shots up to that point and would have to have been ahead on a scratch basis at that point. And I can’t see how anyone can have complaints on that basis.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m also confused, foursomes is 50% of the combined handicap. So if the girls are each given a handicap of 4, they would have a team handicap of 4. And likewise, the men off +1 would get a handicap of +1. 5 shots would be given, and that doesn’t seem unreasonable at all given that they are playing from the same tees.

The ladies would get shots at 14 and 16, so if the match finished 6&5 at 13(?) then they’d only had 3 shots up to that point and would have to have been ahead on a scratch basis at that point. And I can’t see how anyone can have complaints on that basis.
I can't be bothered to check back but didn't he say that ladies receive further shots for having to play off the back tees with the men?