Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stableford was won by a chap off 32 getting 45 points. Second place was a guy off 3 who got 40 points, shooting 1 under par gross. I do feel for the low cappers in these events, what chance did he have?? That winner shot 92. But he's only been cut to 28 as far as I can tell.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Playing a hole to my handicap and going last on the next tee......becoming a normal situation...:cautious:
Assume this relates to the buckets of shots that bruv has currently ??
But before ready golf became the norm, wasn't the honour dictated by gross scores in strokeplay? (Or did I imagine that)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Assume this relates to the buckets of shots that bruv has currently ??
But before ready golf became the norm, wasn't the honour dictated by gross scores in strokeplay? (Or did I imagine that)
Gross in Medal, points in Stableford (y)

Not having a go at Fragger as its not his fault but getting 4 points on a hole should be a rarity...I get, maybe, 3 or 4 a year..
Fragger's currently getting 3 or 4 per round.....:oops:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I’m a 28 and, in an inter-club pairs match on Monday, I played the first three holes like a 10. I’m not sure what our opponents were thinking, but they didn’t have to wait long to find out why I am a 28. ?
I always think that is how it goes, low handicap plays better golf, but the higher handicapper has the shots to keep him in it and make a game of it and of course either player can win. But sometimes!

I played a 15 in the singles once, I was off 9 or 10, so he was getting a few shots but if I play my A game I can nullify his shot advantage, and I did have my A game, the only problem was he had his, and it was better than mine.

The 11th is a moderately long but difficult par 4. Narrow, tree lined with a dog leg left. The dog leg is defined by a pond, which starts at 260 yards and is about 30 yards wide and over a 100 yards long. It is impossible to drive over the pond, so the shot is a drive up the right as far up as you can get, left is dead, you are blocked out by the trees and staring at the full length of the pond.

I hit it right, he hit it short, left and in the semi so at this point it is a lay up, advantage me. Really. He takes out his hybrid, smashes it out of the rough straight down the length of the pond, hooking all the way, 220 yards to the green. It was one of the best shots I have ever seen, that's why I remember it so well.

I have no recollection at all of the rest of the match other than conceding defeat at some point.

Visit site
Gross in Medal, points in Stableford (y)

Not having a go at Fragger as its not his fault but getting 4 points on a hole should be a rarity...I get, maybe, 3 or 4 a year..
Fragger's currently getting 3 or 4 per round.....:oops:

At risk of starting a new forum topic of debate... I’ve never heard of honour being dictated by stableford points? Always gross score?!

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Going back to shots given, last Friday played in a pairs stableford matchplay knockout match. I was getting 10 shots and my PP 16, during the round I hit a long iron to 18ins for a birdie 3 on our SI 2 hole and my PP hit 150 yard shots to 3ft and 1ft. The chances of that happening again in one round are remote, but you could tell that our opponents were getting annoyed at the shots given (at one point I was told that I clearly had not put enough cards in) and used that as the excuse for losing. What they failed to mention is that I hit five tee shots OOB and generally they were not at their best. Me and my PP just played fairly steady and won holes with net pars.

Two years ago I was knocked out in the first round of our singles matchplay. I was off 23 at the time and my opponent was off 8. He beat me on the last hole having gone round just two over gross. Coming off he said hat he expected me to be in the prizes in the following day's comp as was clearly better than my handicap. No thought that he had played six shots under his handicap and would have won the competition if he had repeated that.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Stableford was won by a chap off 32 getting 45 points. Second place was a guy off 3 who got 40 points, shooting 1 under par gross. I do feel for the low cappers in these events, what chance did he have?? That winner shot 92. But he's only been cut to 28 as far as I can tell.

I agree. And as someone who was given a higher h cap by whs and did well in a competition on it.
I can see why the handicap used to be 18 limit. I used to play with a 70 yr old who was off 7. He used to say, and he was right.
"To win I cannot afford to make 1 mistake. Someone around 20 cap will have a good day,and I'll never beat that."

32 handicaps etc. - ridiculous.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree. And as someone who was given a higher h cap by whs and did well in a competition on it.
I can see why the handicap used to be 18 limit. I used to play with a 70 yr old who was off 7. He used to say, and he was right.
"To win I cannot afford to make 1 mistake. Someone around 20 cap will have a good day,and I'll never beat that."

32 handicaps etc. - ridiculous.
I'm not sure the issue is that 32 handicap exists, to me it seems like a failing in the system that he hasn't been cut quicker. He's shot 9 under net, been cut 4 shots, but even off his new handicap he still would have won by a shot. Surely he was too high to begin with, and he still is too high. :unsure: I don't mind high handicaps if they're accurate! My best mate is off 28/29 ish but he rarely shoots better than that unless he has a really good one.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure the issue is that 32 handicap exists, to me it seems like a failing in the system that he hasn't been cut quicker. He's shot 9 under net, been cut 4 shots, but even off his new handicap he still would have won by a shot. Surely he was too high to begin with, and he still is too high. :unsure: I don't mind high handicaps if they're accurate! My best mate is off 28/29 ish but he rarely shoots better than that unless he has a really good one.

That has always been the case, those taking up the game with the highest handicaps, improve the quickest relatively, there will always be a lag in their improvement and their handicap. Under the old handicap system, I think he would have been cut 3 shots. I guess handicap reductions have to reflect that people will have days where everything goes right and they aren't going to do that consistently

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Still can't get my head around the WHS handicap calculations. I shot 85 at Grims Dyke yesterday, was 1 over handicap but I figured it could still become one of my top 8 scores - but it didn't. I still have two 90s from Haste Hill in there! GD is easier tee-to-green but about 50 times harder once you're on or around the greens. There's no way HH is over 5 shots more difficult, that's ridiculous. They've definitely got it wrong somewhere.
You're just going to have to accept that Grims Dyke is an outlier, with a course rating that is far too low.
The universal formula used to calculate CR is bound to get it wrong on some unusual courses, and GD happens to be one of those.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're just going to have to accept that Grims Dyke is an outlier, with a course rating that is far too low.
The universal formula used to calculate CR is bound to get it wrong on some unusual courses, and GD happens to be one of those.
I'll have to start taking advantage by booking in plenty of away matches. :LOL: