Golf Random Irritations

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It always amuses me when people say they have been playing in 40mph winds as you can see from the chart 40mph is severe gale and would be impossible to play golf in that.

As for reel feel I don’t need the app for that I just look out of the window and look at the sea to see the conditions ?

View attachment 36184
I believe I played in 27mph once and even that was ridiculous and felt like a total waste of time. ?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
No tarring please. I grew up in the NW, served by The Lake District, and now live in the NE, served by Kielder Water. No limescale ever in my life, just lovely soft, gentle water. Fluffy bunnies and unicorns wash in the water around here, and get softer afterwards :LOL:
Apologies - should've said 'daaan soufff' rather than tarring all of England

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The way you perceive wind in such detail is always funny to me. For me the wind comes in only three speeds - no wind, windy, or bloody windy, and as for the direction, I just take as it comes on each hole - left to right, into the wind etc. None of these 'north easterly' and somehow knowing what that means in relation to the whole course. :unsure::unsure::ROFLMAO:
the course runs east to west, so a westerly into going out and downwind on the back 9. sea level makes a diif too as does an Easterly, which always tends to be colder.

if you ever venure to play a links course it will become much clearer. wind is prob the major factor for scoreing most of the time.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Wind is a major factor at my course, which is in the East Anglia fens. Its exposed and there are no trees for protection. Its relentless and can be quite exhausting.

3 club 10/15 mph and higher winds are common. The prevailing wind is from the east and cold at this time of year.

A change in wind direction has a significant impact on how the course plays. I played twice last week and the wind was 180* different. It meant the 360yd first hole played driver, 4 iron on one day. Then driver 50 yard pitch the other.

Its challenging, but interesting.

AliMc

Visit site
Wind is a major factor at my course, which is in the East Anglia fens. Its exposed and there are no trees for protection. Its relentless and can be quite exhausting.

3 club 10/15 mph and higher winds are common. The prevailing wind is from the east and cold at this time of year.

A change in wind direction has a significant impact on how the course plays. I played twice last week and the wind was 180* different. It meant the 360yd first hole played driver, 4 iron on one day. Then driver 50 yard pitch the other.

Its challenging, but interesting.
Obviously don't want it to be blowing a hooley all the time but playing at a decent links course I much prefer having a breeze blowing than absolutely flat calm, just makes it a bit more interesting for me

D

Deleted member 3432

Obviously don't want it to be blowing a hooley all the time but playing at a decent links course I much prefer having a breeze blowing than absolutely flat calm, just makes it a bit more interesting for me

Flat calm spooks me out as its so rare so got to agree with you on that although I reckon PCC isn't going to do us any favours unlike CSS on really nasty days.

It makes me chuckle talking to visitors who often comment how breezy it is when us members are barely noticing it.

Only downside is a period of proper windy weather does your swing no favours at all.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Flat calm spooks me out as its so rare so got to agree with you on that although I reckon PCC isn't going to do us any favours unlike CSS on really nasty days.

It makes me chuckle talking to visitors who often comment how breezy it is when us members are barely noticing it.

Only downside is a period of proper windy weather does your swing no favours at all.
Flat calm is gorgeous - on the two or three days a year it happens

AliMc

Visit site
[QUOTE="BiMGuy, post: 2339298,

3 club 10/15 mph and higher winds are common. The prevailing wind is from the east and cold at this time of year. [/QUOTE]
For me I recon it's about 1 club per 10mph into the wind, once it gets above 30mph it can become a bit much, thankfully our prevailing wind is west/southwest, same as you though when it turns to east or north east it can be pretty brutal

BiMGuy

Visit site
[QUOTE="BiMGuy, post: 2339298,

For me I recon it's about 1 club per 10mph into the wind, once it gets above 30mph it can become a bit much, thankfully our prevailing wind is west/southwest, same as you though when it turns to east or north east it can be pretty brutal[/QUOTE]

Missed an 'and' between 3 club and 10/15mph.

We don't very often get less than 10mph. I don't feel comfortable playing when its flat calm. It's unnerving ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely drilling it on the practice range, you can bet Sunday’s round will not see any of these shots.. just the unique ones I haven’t practiced

D

Deleted member 15344

Ball lifters ??

Twice today saw them cause a ball to bounce out

Last edited by a moderator:

Mandofred

Visit site
First medal.....it will be the 3rd time playing on the new course....It'll be fine.....maybe. Can't putt.....really really having trouble. Might just flip back to my 5 year old Odyssey white hot bladed putter. Can't do worse.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
1st stableford today, clubs covid handling has us keying scores direct into masterscoreboard. Apparently when checking last night all the stroke indexes have changed on the system.
Guess we are all playing medal now (in mentality)!

BiMGuy

Visit site
Having to leave the course part way through the back 9 because the course closes at 8. What is that all about? ?‍♂️