Golf Random Irritations

sunshine

Visit site
I actually don't know if this is in the works or not, but they should do it the same way as we bank cheques now - scan the scorecard with your phone camera to send it if it's required. ??

That is exactly how the ig app works. We've been entering scores on the app and adding a photo since June last year.

edit: in competitions you submit your own score in the app but then add the photo of the card and assign it to the player you have been marking.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
every time i play at Nairn in the last two weeks, we get a westerly going out to 7, changes to and easterly on the back 9, same again yesterday:censored:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
every time i play at Nairn in the last two weeks, we get a westerly going out to 7, changes to and easterly on the back 9, same again yesterday:censored:
The way you perceive wind in such detail is always funny to me. For me the wind comes in only three speeds - no wind, windy, or bloody windy, and as for the direction, I just take as it comes on each hole - left to right, into the wind etc. None of these 'north easterly' and somehow knowing what that means in relation to the whole course. :unsure::unsure::ROFLMAO:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
The way you perceive wind in such detail is always funny to me. For me the wind comes in only three speeds - no wind, windy, or bloody windy, and as for the direction, I just take as it comes on each hole - left to right, into the wind etc. None of these 'north easterly' and somehow knowing what that means in relation to the whole course. :unsure::unsure::ROFLMAO:
It's a links thing - I do the same here

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know, I know, I'm not mocking. Just trying to picture a life where I have become a 'wind expert' like this. :LOL: You guys are practically qualified weathermen.
The wind in the NE of England impacts the number of layers you are going to wear more than the golf shots you will play. I tend to think wind will even out over 18 holes but if the wind comes from the north that means Scandinavia for us and that is brass. A wind from the SW will be warmer and so I will look less like the Michelin man.

Wind has less of an impact inland and in the south. The further north you go, the nearer the coast, it matters quite a lot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The wind in the NE of England impacts the number of layers you are going to wear more than the golf shots you will play. I tend to think wind will even out over 18 holes but if the wind comes from the north that means Scandinavia for us and that is brass. A wind from the SW will be warmer and so I will look less like the Michelin man.

Wind has less of an impact inland and in the south. The further north you go, the nearer the coast, it matters quite a lot.
My weather app has a 'real feel' temperature so I just use this. I presume it factors in things like the wind so I don't have to think about it. ?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Also, down here in southern civilisation, we have nice trees to act as windbreakers so probably don’t notice as much ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My weather app has a 'real feel' temperature so I just use this. I presume it factors in things like the wind so I don't have to think about it. ?
Maybe, maybe not. Where you are wind chill will not really be a factor. Up here the wind can cut you in two. When my relatives, NW of England, first came to visit me up here the cut of the wind was the thing that shocked them. It is not there all of the time but when it is it can be sharp.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe, maybe not. Where you are wind chill will not really be a factor. Up here the wind can cut you in two. When my relatives, NW of England, first came to visit me up here the cut of the wind was the thing that shocked them. It is not there all of the time but when it is it can be sharp.
No wonder they say it's grim oop north.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No wonder they say it's grim oop north.
To counter, less densely populated, less pollution, calmer and quieter pace of life. Wouldn't swap it for anything. Pluses and minuses, you take your pick.

To misquote Shrek, 'layers', layers are the key (and minimal exposed skin from December through to April)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Where I live there is nearly always a breeze (I'm 350 yards from a beach - first tee is about the same distance from my house) - I can go three or four miles inland and there will be no wind. Makes a difference even on a beautiful sunny day.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah English water - something I don't miss at all - lime scale central
No tarring please. I grew up in the NW, served by The Lake District, and now live in the NE, served by Kielder Water. No limescale ever in my life, just lovely soft, gentle water. Fluffy bunnies and unicorns wash in the water around here, and get softer afterwards :LOL:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I seem to be a head job ☹️?‍♂️?.. when I think about it all I hit the ball appallingly. When I am relaxed, I hit the ball straight down the line long ... if I did that for every shot my scoring would be below par if my putter joined the party ☹️ .. I need to chill out, but I live for golf nothing else really interests me.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I’m farther north than anyone and your certainly right about the wind, I play all through winter weather permitting but I couldn’t play without layers including under armour.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

It always amuses me when people say they have been playing in 40mph winds as you can see from the chart 40mph is severe gale and would be impossible to play golf in that.

As for reel feel I don’t need the app for that I just look out of the window and look at the sea to see the conditions ?

7BCE6583-0AEF-4BB5-8B8A-BEBFA324AC0D.png