Golf Membership Numbers

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good to see participation increasing but golf clubs still have a long way to go in some cases to be inclusive and welcoming. It's a welcome step but the sport and the governing bodies need to push on and do more at grass roots level.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it’s like cycling a really nice summer gets people out the house.
Golf is like any sport = try it like it your hooked.

It’s good to hear golf is on the up it can only be good for the game.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
A few points.

The survey seems to focus on average per club. Is this average of all clubs, average of all clubs who participated in the survey?

Numbers appear to be up, but not if there are fewer clubs, or only the clubs who are healthy are responding to the survey.

Not saying it’s rubbish, just feel the article doesn’t necessarily paint the full picture.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I know flexible memberships are on the increase, does someone who has one class themselves as a member of a club? Could massively skew numbers.

I'm a member of a club, but not of a course - was the cheapest way to get and hold an official HCP. But where would that put me in the statistics?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know flexible memberships are on the increase, does someone who has one class themselves as a member of a club? Could massively skew numbers.

I'm a member of a club, but not of a course - was the cheapest way to get and hold an official HCP. But where would that put me in the statistics?

How does that work? I thought you had to have a home course to hold an official handicap?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How does that work? I thought you had to have a home course to hold an official handicap?

Some clubs allow you to join and pay a green fee as you go. Even this can vary from a lowered initial fee and reduced green fees as you go or low fee and full green fees. There are a couple of examples near me, almost the purest form of flexible membership.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site

As SGC said, I am a member of the club, which costs me £105 per year but then just pay as I play. The members club and the course are also different entities, if you're a member of the course you can't get an official handicap unless you're a member of the club. All very silly really.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
As SGC said, I am a member of the club, which costs me £105 per year but then just pay as I play. The members club and the course are also different entities, if you're a member of the course you can't get an official handicap unless you're a member of the club. All very silly really.
Out of interest where is this? I'd be keen to do something like this but not many options locally.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why is it silly ?

One of the benefits of being a member is having an official HC - the club are the ones that administer it and have the link to CDH - if you don’t need to be a member to get an Official HC who is going to monitor it ? Who is going to pay for the software links ?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There has to be more detail than a survey, some areas will be up and many areas declining. A number of clubs around d me have list serious numbers in membership over the last 3 years, my own club is down almost 200 in 7 years

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
A few points.

The survey seems to focus on average per club. Is this average of all clubs, average of all clubs who participated in the survey?

Numbers appear to be up, but not if there are fewer clubs, or only the clubs who are healthy are responding to the survey.

Not saying it’s rubbish, just feel the article doesn’t necessarily paint the full picture.

As I said, stats are like miniskirts, reveal a lot but hide the most important bits!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
There has to be more detail than a survey, some areas will be up and many areas declining. A number of clubs around d me have list serious numbers in membership over the last 3 years, my own club is down almost 200 in 7 years

I hear Cardross has lost numerous members too. Real shame as its a very nice course.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Members at mine has been up for a good few years, just past few they have been accepting members, before there was a waiting list, currently over 800 members and we normally pull 100-170 on the sat/sun medals its quite a busy course especially when the suns out

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Members at mine has been up for a good few years, just past few they have been accepting members, before there was a waiting list, currently over 800 members and we normally pull 100-170 on the sat/sun medals its quite a busy course especially when the suns out

Where is that?