Golf Membership Numbers

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There is a course near me that has sold yet more land. They are averaging on year £65k loses and have been for over ten years now. They can only sustain these loses for so long and can't keep selling land.

There is a club west of Coatbridge that has sold out to a developer but is still continuing to run, it's lost a lot of members and looks like it will lose more shortly.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We've had closures already, there was one in Edinburgh a couple of years ago. I can see one in Lanarkshire/Glasgow east go very soon.

I think you need about 20-30 to go throughout Scotland in order to redistribute the members to other clubs. Survival of the fittest financially.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
We've had closures already, there was one in Edinburgh a couple of years ago. I can see one in Lanarkshire/Glasgow east go very soon.
In a 5 mile circle of my area there is 20 courses, a bit much if you ask me and with land in short supply round here one or two will go,

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not convinced that a course closing will actually have such a big impact on other courses.

A course that is struggling is probably dipping close to or below the 300 member mark.

Sure a number of these people will join and play elsewhere, but a lot will stop altogether. Also, these courses may be struggling because they have a load of seniors or life members paying not very much in the way of membership fees, and there is next to no chance of them paying £900 - £1,000 somewhere else.

And I would also say that you would be amazed at the resolve of some clubs to struggle on and keep going, even with dwindling members and basically being hand to mouth. People have a big attachment and a few of the members will chip in extra, run the bar, even help out the groundstaff.

Also, it's not like many clubs are going to actively seek out planning permission to market the land for development. Clubs would have to be approached by a developer and agree to them doing a feasibility study and seeing how likely planning permission would be to gain. Possibly not an attractive vote with memberships. In some locations that are not already bordering on urban areas, development potential is next to zero.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Some of what you say is correct but a lot will also move onto the next course.

Honorary members are killing a lot of clubs and it's a catagory that needs done away with altogether.

A lot of clubs will fight tooth and nail, members cutting Tee's, strimming, work parties, clearing ditches to aid drainage etc but overall they will go under unless they get investment and sustainable investment.

I personally think all junior membership should be £50 to 16 years of age then say £100 for your last year.

I also think after student membership they need to look at this under 30 membership rubbish. It's guys in a few their early 30's that are drifting away from golf due to £1k plus fees which hits them as they have young families.

I know that I was "flush" through college and uni and into my early adult life. Kids and married life was where I really started to feel the pinch.

Research shows that children are now coming later in life.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In a 5 mile circle of my area there is 20 courses, a bit much if you ask me and with land in short supply round here one or two will go,

I think you maybe ever estimating it a bit but add a bit of mileage and you won't be alfar wrong. I reckon I have access to around 30 or 40 courses within 20 mile radius of my house.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you maybe ever estimating it a bit but add a bit of mileage and you won't be alfar wrong. I reckon I have access to around 30 or 40 courses within 20 mile radius of my house.
Aye your right there is only 19 😀 according to Google maps, still a lot in a small area and most are not maintained good enough to enjoy a round

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Some of what you say is correct but a lot will also move onto the next course.

Honorary members are killing a lot of clubs and it's a catagory that needs done away with altogether.

A lot of clubs will fight tooth and nail, members cutting Tee's, strimming, work parties, clearing ditches to aid drainage etc but overall they will go under unless they get investment and sustainable investment.

I personally think all junior membership should be £50 to 16 years of age then say £100 for your last year.

I also think after student membership they need to look at this under 30 membership rubbish. It's guys in a few their early 30's that are drifting away from golf due to £1k plus fees which hits them as they have young families.

I know that I was "flush" through college and uni and into my early adult life. Kids and married life was where I really started to feel the pinch.

Research shows that children are now coming later in life.

I personally would have really struggled to play golf had it not been for u30s deals. As someone who hadn’t played much golf as a kid, the chances of pitching up as pretty much a beginner and drop £800 or so on green fees would have been very remote.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I personally would have really struggled to play golf had it not been for u30s deals. As someone who hadn’t played much golf as a kid, the chances of pitching up as pretty much a beginner and drop £800 or so on green fees would have been very remote.

Everyone's circumstances are different but I personally believe most people and people in my circle of friends all agree that they had more money in their 20's than early 30's.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had Blue Mountain close locally a few years ago. Not a massive club in terms of membership but a busy place in terms of pay and play. I can't say I've noticed significant pick up of members locally at the clubs I have friends at (Mill Ride, Downshire, East Berks, Sand Martins) so not sure if they are now nomadic or have stopped playing. Isn't it like a lot of things though and a question of providing a good value for money service? Those that do, or are perceived to survive and those that don't, close. Golf courses are definitely a prime location for builders and so any that are struggling are definitely on the radar. Make the owners a good price and call it a day

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We had Blue Mountain close locally a few years ago. Not a massive club in terms of membership but a busy place in terms of pay and play. I can't say I've noticed significant pick up of members locally at the clubs I have friends at (Mill Ride, Downshire, East Berks, Sand Martins) so not sure if they are now nomadic or have stopped playing. Isn't it like a lot of things though and a question of providing a good value for money service? Those that do, or are perceived to survive and those that don't, close. Golf courses are definitely a prime location for builders and so any that are struggling are definitely on the radar. Make the owners a good price and call it a day

Nomadic golfers are a different kettle of fish to club members.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I remember talking to a guy in 2015, who was playing at Cambuslang golf club. It was only a 9 holer and he was actually hopeful they would sell up and all members would get some cash and it wouldn't be much of a problem to join somewhere else.

Like I said, that was over 3 years ago and the place is still going and appears to have a joining fee, trial memberships, under 30's deals etc.

Maybe they reckon the development idea wasn't going to get off the ground. Although Blairbeth golf course was down that way, which has closed. So perhaps they did pick up a few members and that was enough to get back in the black.