£1 Golf Membership

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting model, don't think I have seen anything quite along those lines before. Seems very cheap round rates on top of the budget setup, not surprised most are budget, as you have to play a lot of golf to even consider the full membership option.

Would be interested to hear how is the club doing on profitability ? or are they a club that are mainly based around the visitor green fees income model, that keeps them trading ?

The club in the article is under fairly recent new ownership.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A place I looked at had this credit deal thing, but a Saturday morning comp worked out to be about £70 or something absurd. Usually, you can play a weekend after 12.00 for about £25/30. It was a great value deal if you didn't care about playing comps or weekends though.

I can see that appealing to the seniors who have the option of playing in the week but a lot of golfers are weekend players primarily with a chance to play to evenings in the summer for a few months a year. Most of the clubs that I know that have these credit scheme will put a premium on a weekend round as it is prime time but not to that extent

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interesting model, don't think I have seen anything quite along those lines before. Seems very cheap round rates on top of the budget setup, not surprised most are budget, as you have to play a lot of golf to even consider the full membership option.

Would be interested to hear how is the club doing on profitability ? or are they a club that are mainly based around the visitor green fees income model, that keeps them trading ?

Some munis have a separate club who for a fairly nominal fee administer a handicap and run comps and u can either buy a season ticket or pay green fees from there. Similar really to lite membership points based schemes, maybe even more flexible.
I played a 9 holer Lincoln way which may be the very same course which had that set up. Gets some money up front for cash flow but keeps revenue drifting in through the year is the business idea with them looking to make it attractive to play. I think they capped how much a week would cost you too.

Diamond

Visit site
I’m glad I’m not the only person that thinks this is a great idea.

I have never taken out a membership at a club, I love to play different courses and if I took a membership I feel it would make me travel less.

Never really been interested in competitions... until recently.

This type of membership would really work for me. My only worry is the possibility of a divide in the club, a ‘them and us’ situation between ‘full members’ and pay as you play members. How would it go down at your club if they introduced it?

I would be happy to know that every time I saw pay as you play members the club was raking it in. But that’s because I have always cared at private clubs I have been a member. These have not been private golf clubs either.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can see that appealing to the seniors who have the option of playing in the week but a lot of golfers are weekend players primarily with a chance to play to evenings in the summer for a few months a year. Most of the clubs that I know that have these credit scheme will put a premium on a weekend round as it is prime time but not to that extent
Very little interest from the majority of seniors at all - they burn through the credits really quickly, even when only playing 5 days a week!
They suit the occassional player, or occassional player at that club for whatever reason.