Golf Membership Numbers

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
You play the invitational how did you get on, I never bothered I will nodoubt play the Ryder cup at the end of month tho suppose to be a great day, the greens are outstanding IMO still a bit of scaring from the drought on some of the fairways but compared to some iv played this year its tip top

D

Deleted member 15344

A few points.

The survey seems to focus on average per club. Is this average of all clubs, average of all clubs who participated in the survey?

Numbers appear to be up, but not if there are fewer clubs, or only the clubs who are healthy are responding to the survey.

Not saying it’s rubbish, just feel the article doesn’t necessarily paint the full picture.
http://www.carrgolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/3024.pdf

Here is another study on golf participation in Europe

Shows increase in England but small decrease in Scotland

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
For me its the price joining a club as a full member, its just shy of a grand then member fee is just over that, equipment clothing ect its all very expensive, I would bet the courses that membership is down will be of poorer areas

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You play the invitational how did you get on, I never bothered I will nodoubt play the Ryder cup at the end of month tho suppose to be a great day, the greens are outstanding IMO still a bit of scaring from the drought on some of the fairways but compared to some iv played this year its tip top

Ive met a few members of Sandhills at the Golf in Scotland series and they all talk their club up which is really refreshing.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Thats something I immediately noticed, people actually care and are quite proud about the club and course, id imagine that to be true at most places

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Lost out on back 9 score for a prize, three poor holes between us.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Oh that's ashame -7 is still a great score tho is that a group score or individual score.
I'm going to try get a good price for a few members up there before the end of the season and see if anyone's interested in a mini meet, might not be everyone's cup of tea but I'll see what I can do and if anyones interested

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
For me its the price joining a club as a full member, its just shy of a grand then member fee is just over that, equipment clothing ect its all very expensive, I would bet the courses that membership is down will be of poorer areas

The fact about equipment being expensive is a bit of a myth that probably puts people off.

In reality you could get kitted out with 2nd hand equipment for not much at all that would not harm enjoyment at all. Sure, most people like having nice stuff, but it’s def a culture thing in golf that doesn’t help participation.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
True my first set was a cheap second hand set of mizuno widec 2, 3 and 5 wood + bag for £50 years ago, green fees are still pricey tho,

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
True my first set was a cheap second hand set of mizuno widec 2, 3 and 5 wood + bag for £50 years ago, green fees are still pricey tho,

Yeh. I basically started with all 2nd hand stuff and a few Dunlop efforts from Sports Direct.

Over the years would switch in some new clubs when I had £50 or £100 to spend on something.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Done the exact same bought what I needed at the lowest price possible, similar Dunlop driver from SD i actually quite liked that club,

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Makes more sense, certainly up here we're waiting on the first course to fold, there have been a number of close calls in last few years.

We have over supply here as a problem. We are also waiting on a course to go under, it's been talked about for a while for a couple of places in particular, but that may actually then strengthen the other surrounding courses as those now clubless members spread through those courses.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Done the exact same bought what I needed at the lowest price possible, similar Dunlop driver from SD i actually quite liked that club,

My Dunlop Driver I had. I actually think my brother had bought this as a teenager, so it would have been 7 or 8 years old when I started using it in 2011 or so (but not used much).

One night I noticed it was cracked along the top of the head, near the face. And on a shot completely burst open and split into a few parts. Fortunately I was just out practising myself. Wasn't much kit in it. Basically a couple of fishing weights glued to the back.

Anyway, I turned up at the next weekend and on the tee explained my driver had smashed. Without missing a beat, a guy nipped to his car and gave me a Yonex driver to use. Hit it ok that day and gave him £40 for it. That did me a few years until I shut my car boot on it :-(

So went to AG and spent real money (£99) on a Cleveland Classic in 2013. That might still be in the bag today had I not got £150 AG golf vouchers for my 30th Birthday in 2015, when I got an SLDR.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Why is it silly ?

One of the benefits of being a member is having an official HC - the club are the ones that administer it and have the link to CDH - if you don’t need to be a member to get an Official HC who is going to monitor it ? Who is going to pay for the software links ?

Sorry, think you've misunderstood what I meant. The course is owned by BGL Golf but they aren't CDH registered, so for instance, my Dad is a member at the course, but can't get an official handicap unless he joins the members club which is run independently to the course.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Two courses within 10 miles of me closing next year.
Used to be a member of one of them.

Both had uninviting backwards membership that had not moved with the times.
Both decent courses that i enjoyed.

Courses with predominantly aging memberships, who hold the clubs to ransom in regards to change will be struggling in another decade.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Mine held up fine I didn't play that much at the time about 6-7 times per year so thats probably why, you get what you pay for I guess, there is a guy I round with that has yonex woods I'd never heard of that brand before but boy could I hit them, all my equipment is now new and fitted wish I waiting to my swing was consistent then got fit, the sldr is ment to be an absolute bomber

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
There is a course near me that has sold yet more land. They are averaging on year £65k loses and have been for over ten years now. They can only sustain these loses for so long and can't keep selling land.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Mine held up fine I didn't play that much at the time about 6-7 times per year so thats probably why, you get what you pay for I guess, there is a guy I round with that has yonex woods I'd never heard of that brand before but boy could I hit them, all my equipment is now new and fitted wish I waiting to my swing was consistent then got fit, the sldr is ment to be an absolute bomber

SLDR has a sweet spot that every so often I catch and it goes for miles. No doubt newer clubs would help me a bit with off centre hits, but I've had plenty of good days with it and so just keep reminding myself that when I have bad days. My miss tends to be catching stuff out the toe and with the weights favouring a draw bias, the club often saves a toe hit and holds it up the right, rather than cutting a mile right.