Golf Membership Numbers

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some of what you say is correct but a lot will also move onto the next course.

Honorary members are killing a lot of clubs and it's a catagory that needs done away with altogether.

A lot of clubs will fight tooth and nail, members cutting Tee's, strimming, work parties, clearing ditches to aid drainage etc but overall they will go under unless they get investment and sustainable investment.

I personally think all junior membership should be £50 to 16 years of age then say £100 for your last year.

I also think after student membership they need to look at this under 30 membership rubbish. It's guys in a few their early 30's that are drifting away from golf due to £1k plus fees which hits them as they have young families.

I know that I was "flush" through college and uni and into my early adult life. Kids and married life was where I really started to feel the pinch.

Research shows that children are now coming later in life.
We don't have Honorary members anymore, but we do have discounts for certain categories, who must have a minimum of 25 years full membership continuous service. The 65 to 69s get a 25% discount, 70-74 get a 45% discount, 75 and over get a 65% discount .

We have about 460 members, 74 receive concessionary discounts , I'm in the 70-74 concessionary category and I currently pay approx £365 PA, a bit more than the under 30s.

Last edited:

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Some of what you say is correct but a lot will also move onto the next course.

Honorary members are killing a lot of clubs and it's a catagory that needs done away with altogether.

A lot of clubs will fight tooth and nail, members cutting Tee's, strimming, work parties, clearing ditches to aid drainage etc but overall they will go under unless they get investment and sustainable investment.

I personally think all junior membership should be £50 to 16 years of age then say £100 for your last year.

I also think after student membership they need to look at this under 30 membership rubbish. It's guys in a few their early 30's that are drifting away from golf due to £1k plus fees which hits them as they have young families.

I know that I was "flush" through college and uni and into my early adult life. Kids and married life was where I really started to feel the pinch.

Research shows that children are now coming later in life.

Agree with the under 30's bit. I see discounts for people under 30 and that was the time in my life when I had the most disposable income.

At 35 I havent been a member anywhere for 5 years now, kids and mortgage mean even if I can afford membership of over a grand I cant really justify it for the playing time I would get.

I think a "play more golf" membership is on the cards for me and a few of my pals who are in the same boat.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sometimes, even when you vote to take the payout, the road isn't smooth. Maidenhead is due to be sold off for housing and I think most members are due to get a decent five figure sum as compensation from what they were saying in our club match earlier in the year when clearly it was the hot topic of conversation. It now seems plans to find a new home aren't going so well amongst the same membership https://www.maidenhead-advertiser.c...to-fifield-falls-short-of-numbers-needed.html

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
One idea that we have never embraced is houses on golf courses.

I appreciate this is not possible as most courses in the U.K. have been built decades ago and there will be limited space / access. And let’s be honest the planning process in the U.K. is probably going to knock anything back without barely giving it consideration.

But you would imagine at some courses it would be possible on the permitter of some holes with properties being sold to raise money and others could be rented to keep a regular income.

Obviously in other countries, this will actually be used to fund the project as a business venture with it being fairly attractive to people to live with their home backing onto a golf course.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Letham Grange had stunning houses around the course. Sadly they ended up in an ownership dispute about who owned the course etc and the course basically died.

I understand that the "dispute" has been resolved, not 100% sure on the status of the course right enough.