Premier Golf League

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This sort of "league by invitation " to my mind creates an atmosphere of artificial competition. These chaps would go around the world playing in competition against each other where I think there would be an element of, well, I won last week, I don't mind you winning this week. cos we'll all get something and someone else next week etc." There won't be an element of having to "survive" as there is on the PGA tour, will there'?

An element of that I guess. Does that mentality exists in another solo elite league like the Premier League Darts or do you think if there are points at stake in the golf league and rewards for the top places etc whether they will be a little more selfish. To me it smacks of a glorified Shell World of Golf and just glorified exhibitions

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
An element of that I guess. Does that mentality exists in another solo elite league like the Premier League Darts or do you think if there are points at stake in the golf league and rewards for the top places etc whether they will be a little more selfish. To me it smacks of a glorified Shell World of Golf and just glorified exhibitions
It would definitely have a plug in to the world golf ranking systems but could have wider impacts on Ryder cup selection etc. Not so much our side as the european tour only requires something as low as 4 games to be played per season if I recall but the pga would have to significantly reduce their player expectations. I just think they have the opportunity to make a more gender balanced playing field and they’re not taking it.

its like the RandA punishing male only membership open venues but having no mixed events themselves in the uk.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
There are a lot of things that I don’t like about this idea but the one thing that I do wonder is will the higher profile help rebuild interest in the game itself. Think Premier League and just how big that is worldwide.

Not sure that this is the right vehicle or not for golf but something needs to change to recapture the love for the game across a wider audience.
I completely agree. Something needs to be done to rebuild mainstream interest in the game and inspire a generation. Currently the only media highlights from the golfing calendar are the Ryder Cup or if Tiger wins something. The Open and Masters generate a bit of interest but not in the wider under 30s population.
I’m not sure if this is the right plan for solving this issue but it’s be better for golfs survival than the current system. The world is becoming more transactional and faster paced - think the evolution of cricket with T20 and more one day internationals, they have a good crowd of all generations at those One Day formats.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I don't follow the US PGA Tour, but a Premier Tour of global elite players might be interesting. Have no idea how practical the idea is, but if it damaged the current tours, that wouldn't bother me.
Yep. You’re only as good as your present status. If something else comes along which is better for the fans then so be it. Is suspect they’d turn this into box office events though.

D

Deleted member 25172

Rick Shiels is interviewing the man behind this in his latest podcast for anyone who is interested.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmm.

Seems to me it would be the equivalent of, and just as boring as, the Champions League in football. ie the elite group together and play amongst themselves, and suck the money out of the rest of the game. Well, if they do it, all I can say is sod off and enjoy yourselves - the rest of us will stay behind and watch the real sport.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I thought some of the guy's talk was interesting, but some big holes. I don't think you can manufacture passion for a team. The football Premier League didn't create fan passion for example - it was already there.

The money from some dodgy middle eastern governments doesn't sound great either.

I think golf needs to change, but I don't think that this is the way to do it.

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Hmm.

Seems to me it would be the equivalent of, and just as boring as, the Champions League in football. ie the elite group together and play amongst themselves, and suck the money out of the rest of the game. Well, if they do it, all I can say is sod off and enjoy yourselves - the rest of us will stay behind and watch the real sport.
Couldn't agree more, the champions League is a monster that doesn't give a second thought to the fans.
Enough when you hear Phils name mentioned that gives you an idea how it would go, would it be top 25 in world rankings and the rest of the field by invitation?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought some of the guy's talk was interesting, but some big holes. I don't think you can manufacture passion for a team. The football Premier League didn't create fan passion for example - it was already there.

The money from some dodgy middle eastern governments doesn't sound great either.

I think golf needs to change, but I don't think that this is the way to do it.

the creators of the undred in cricket think you can manufacture the passion, all you need is a few daft team names!!!!! we'll soon see! (i agree with you btw)

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
This Premier League idea has some merits, but the 100 looks like a steaming pile of... I just don't understand it at all. T20 is popular in this country and a great way to attract kids. The 100 seems like a mishmash version of it, that nobody wants.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have zero interest in watching random teams of 4 players compete with each other for ridiculous amounts of money.

Really hope this doesn't get off the ground. Actually cant see it ever happening and glad rory has firmly said he wont be taking part.