Premier Golf League

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
How is the "work" to be done?
The PGA and ET will lose sponsorship as the big money companies go with the world tour.
As I posted earlier, ranking points are based on the number of top 100 players in the field.
Without a drastic overhaul of the OWGR anyone not already in the top however many are going to find it hard to get high enough to get in
18 events with the top 30 or 40 will command massive ranking points compared to other tournaments
Even coming last will give as many points as winning the lesser events.
And if they're not playing 72 holes then there's no comparison to the rest.
Loads of points for playing 3/4 of a game...
Theres so much wrong with the idea..
Wrong with the idea or complexities to overcome before it happens?

An idea is exactly where it’s at present. I don’t think anyone is claiming it’s fully thought through as yet.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Wrong with the idea or complexities to overcome before it happens?

An idea is exactly where it’s at present. I don’t think anyone is claiming it’s fully thought through as yet.

They have spent 6 years on it so far. Wonder what the time line is to 'fully think it through'?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Link? Quote? Something? Quick google gave me nothing.

Im guessing it was in his press conference ahead of the WGC Mexico but plenty of quotes on social media etc

Ewan Murray
@mrewanmurray
Rory McIlroy has just delivered a serious blow to Premier League golf. “I’m out” ... he wants autonomy over his schedule etc.

18m
Rory McIlroy shuts the door on the PremierGolf League: “The more I’ve thought about it the more I don’t like it.” He added, “I would like to be on the right side of history.”

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Tiger's not going to want to play 18 events plus the Majors and a few others each year
And all of them want to play when and where they want to...up to a point anyway.
Hopefully the beginning of the end for it..

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Although I dislike several things around the PGA Tour (i.e. like golf away from their Tour almost doesn't exist), and I find it worrying that the WGC event is already 2nd fiddle to last week's tour event. I don't think this proposal is the one to change things.

Badger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
was listening to No Laying Up pod this week and they have on good authority that PGL are offering Tiger between 200-250 million dollars !, will play for a few years, then own one of the "teams" and have a share of the whole league.

apparently Phil, DJ, Brooks and DeChambau are all for it but concensus is it doesn't get off the ground without Tiger and to a lesser extent Rory.

D

Deleted member 25172

was listening to No Laying Up pod this week and they have on good authority that PGL are offering Tiger between 200-250 million dollars !, will play for a few years, then own one of the "teams" and have a share of the whole league.

apparently Phil, DJ, Brooks and DeChambau are all for it but concensus is it doesn't get off the ground without Tiger and to a lesser extent Rory.

For someone who has a net worth of around $800-900 million (well, quick search said that...) I'd hope he could just say like "You know what, I don't need it. I'm Staying put". I don't have high hopes though.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Rumour has it the main advocates are Bryson, Phil, and Fat Pat. Well, good luck with that one.

Given how many of the top 10 are missing the WGC this week, a no cut money fest for the top players, I am not sure the PGL will count for much.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’ve gone off the idea now that in know its not truly global with 10 events in the US. The so much opportunity to create something as is much of the same with more money.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Surely the top players have so much money that it is now for them a question of chasing the honours?
Tiger, the record number of PGA and Major wins; the others the Majors.

Also, they may face criticism for not really being the best because they are not facing the competition of the other tour players.

On balance I would think most golf fans would prefer to see the PGA and European tours. The word circus comes to mind for the other thing.

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There are a lot of things that I don’t like about this idea but the one thing that I do wonder is will the higher profile help rebuild interest in the game itself. Think Premier League and just how big that is worldwide.

Not sure that this is the right vehicle or not for golf but something needs to change to recapture the love for the game across a wider audience.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think Rory was right to say no and that he likes the autonomy to pick and choose his own schedule and he suggested in his interview that Woods was looking at only 12 events for himself so that would rule him out even if he hasn't come out and confirmed it yet. It will happen in time but I still prefer to see the a quality field where anyone can win on a given week rather than diluting fields by taking the best out each week to play their own league

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
This sort of "league by invitation " to my mind creates an atmosphere of artificial competition. These chaps would go around the world playing in competition against each other where I think there would be an element of, well, I won last week, I don't mind you winning this week. cos we'll all get something and someone else next week etc." There won't be an element of having to "survive" as there is on the PGA tour, will there'?