Golf Meets

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Have you ever been to a meet

• Total voters

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been to a handful of meets - always enjoyed them. And meet some nice people. The problem is the committing of time to it (more specifically, that's HID finding it a problem if I committed even more time to playing golf...)
Definitely interested in more - and one day I'll find time to come to H4H.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I don't post all that much but wouldn't have stuck around on here early on without the meets because of the opportunity to play great courses. I was therefore sometimes careful about posting something semi-controversial or too opinionated because thats not what golf is about, and my primary purpose for being on here was to play golf.

I think that has shifted over the years, many new posters clearly have no intention of ever playing in a meet, and therefore aren't really bothered what they say. That in my opinion has caused some divide and created a shift in the 'culture' on the forum.

From memory, I've had the pleasure of playing the below. And I would play again with everyone I have met and played with.

• My now club for the first time 6 years ago, with a guy on here who then helped me get in and has become a good friend
  • Sunningdale x2
  • Multiple H4Hs - Liphook, Hankley x2, Bearwood, Hayling
  • Berkshire
  • RSG
  • Stoneham
It's easy to see why those people who organise give up after a few. So many late dropouts, people not paying on time etc. If people have built up a network of reliable people they trust to pay up and turn up, then its obvious they will do that off here - even if that is a shame.

D

Deleted member 15344

It should be but the Juggernaut that is football will keep the posts on the Out of Bounds forum ahead.

It seems that the latest popular threads are all about EV , or emission zones etc

Some post more about them than golf and considerably more

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve attended 2 and to be honest I found them to be a bit cliquish, I was not on the ‘top table’ shall I say , and the 8-10 ten that were on my table were hard work to get engage with.

I really enjoyed the course though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve attended 2 and to be honest I found them to be a bit cliquish, I was not on the ‘top table’ shall I say , and the 8-10 ten that were on my table were hard work to get engage with.

I really enjoyed the course though.
I guess you were unlucky. I suppose the ones who've known each other the longest are always going to be drawn together, and admittedly I tend to gravitate back to those who are similar to my age who I know I get on with - but on the bigger meet at H4H I think there was enough people that you could find someone to chat to, and hopefully nobody felt left out.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Distance for the bigger meets is generally what puts me off at the moment although they look like they'd be brilliant days at fantastic courses.

If I was a single man with no ties if be there in a heartbeat but convincing the other half that I should be allowed to go AWOL from parenting for two days to meet a load of men (and women) I met on the Internet isn't a conversation I've yet grown the stones to initiate 😂.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Met some great people and made some good memories and friends due to GM and forum meets. I’d like to see a resurgence in meets, the world needs more cheer.

However it’s not easy and it’s shocking how certain people make being an organizer unnecessarily stressful.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Met some great people and made some good memories and friends due to GM and forum meets. I’d like to see a resurgence in meets, the world needs more cheer.

However it’s not easy and it’s shocking how certain people make being an organizer unnecessarily stressful.

I found getting the money in not too difficult with people's ability to transfer money by the internet. The biggest problem was marrying up real names to forum names 😁😁

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Been to many from a 2 ball with one other forumite to some of the larger meets over the years

Personally preferred the smaller more impromptu ones where someone was looking for a game whilst they were travelling or visiting family etc or just a 4ball or 2 of like minded individuals. No doubt plenty of these still go on but arent always organised on the forum as many that have been here for years have become friends away from the forum now

One things for sure, organising the bigger meets is a pretty thankless task in the main and those who did the really successful big ones really didnt get the appreciation they should have from everyone, and thats lead to them thinking twice before doing another one

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
This forum has had meets at some of the best courses arranged for them at amazing prices!

Arranging these meets is blooming hard work. The big ones take months of planning, negotiation and hard work. Then you have to look after everyone on the day to try and ensure they have everything they need as you really do want everyone to enjoy themselves because they have paid money to be there.

Still had some great times!

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Was lucky that the first meet I was at was local at the time (Kent). That being said I was then up in Liverpool shortly after for a last minute invite. Not looked back since then Tbh.
Never seen anyone left on their own at a large meet before, I’d say if that occurs maybe the person should make more of an effort…..

I’d be up for the traditional north south battle. Think this h4h was the first time we (i) forgot to arrange a teams event.

I’ll be at h4h til they stop (hopefully don’t)!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Been to plenty of meets, both large and small. Think the furthest I’ve travelled was Middlesbrough to Cooden Bay, 320 miles.

Was tempted by H4H this year but it was on the due date for the new g’daughter.

Can’t see me doing any, apart from (maybe) H4H, in the future.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I've never been on a GM meet but have been on meets of plenty of other golf forums going back through the years and I know there are folks on here who I have met on previous "outings".

I guess, since 've been frequenting this forum more my time has actually had more pressures on it and it seems the meets that have been organised just haven't fallen right timing/distance wise. Distance in itself is rarely an obstacle...if a trip needs to be done over two or three days with maybe an extra round thrown in along the way then so be it....but the further away, the more days it needs...and there is the greater likelihood that something will get in the way.

One day I'll definitely get along to a meet though.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve arranged a few trips - forest pines, high elms and princes next year.

I’ve actually enjoyed doing it and I’ve been thinking about a trip abroad in 2025 but need to get my wedding out of the way first
Prague? Delayed stag do?

My first trip was with bratty, smith and I think Chris at westerham and as GB said it was simply 4 blokes with a common interest having a walk and taking the Micky for 4 hours plus.

Done a few h4h’s and have met some great people.

I am 100% behind the feeling that OBB has allowed people’s difference in opinion to add friction, I can think of a few people that come across as complete bell ends on here yet in real life are completely different. Like all things in life somethings evolution is not good.

Plan to do more trips next year.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have been to some fabulous meets both large and small. Hope to get to another one soon. Would be great if there were some more big meets like in the past but would imagine that won't happen due to costs and the organisation involved.