Golf Meets

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Have you ever been to a meet

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 15344

The forum has changed over the years , when I first started it was mainly about golf and lots used the forum to play in meets and there have been some brilliant ones

But over the years it’s become less about golf and that’s prob because of the “b word” then Covid and now constant threads revolving around climate etc

i think with the changing of mods etc maybe we could look to move the forum back to being more about golf etc maybe even get the regional competition again

So a few questions

1. Have you ever been to a meet

2. If you haven’t what are the reasons

3. Are you interested in attending any future meets

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not done as many as I would have liked due to distance/cost/availability but I've done my fair share..
1st was, I think, a big bash at Homer's place that Murph won.......

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No

I have played loads of different courses in my years and the desire to play new ones does not really exist anymore.
Cost, age, infirmity and a dislike of travelling long distances

No

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been to a few, was at a very enjoyable one on Saturday at South Shields.

The big epics may be rarer but there seem to be plenty of small ones happening throughout the year. You just have to keep your eye out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been to H4H three times now, really enjoy that as it's the big one where you get to meet the most people. It's great putting a face to the names that you've seen on here for years.

Have only done one or two others besides them, but I can't really afford to do loads of them throughout the year unless they are local to me, or else the travelling and hotel costs make it too expensive. Surely one factor of the reduced number of meets is exponentially rising costs at a lot of courses.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've not attended meets

Committing to dates significantly in the future is difficult, when I was working it was more difficult.

Most of them are quite a distance away and I am not likely to travel a long way for one or two rounds, Although I don't discuss B, climate etc on the board I do try to be aware of my carbon footprint.

I would certainly be interested in attending future meets.
Edit
The third question was not available when I voted it would have been a yes.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Yes and yes.

Life changes, cost of living etc all have an effect on how many away days people can do.
I also do a lot golf days that are not GM forum related.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have only done one or two others besides them, but I can't really afford to do loads of them throughout the year unless they are local to me, or else the travelling and hotel costs make it too expensive. Surely one factor of the reduced number of meets is exponentially rising costs at a lot of courses.
I think this hits the nail on the head for a lot of people, me included. This is not a criticism of any meet, just a reality.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been to plenty of meets in the past but when the forum started up they were a different beast. The original meets were one or two 4 balls all signed in at members guest rates and so it was actually a pretty affordable day out.

The focus then changed and for a while people were only interested at big meets at well known courses and they wanted that cheap. People stopped wanting to go to small, local meets and they sort of died off a bit.

We then lost the whole generation of forum members who arranged these meets. They still do things themselves off the forum but the organisers and those willing to sign in a group of relative strangers moved on. Anything more than a quick 4 ball on your own course takes so much time and effort to sort out these days.

Being realistic, it is somewhat odd that the golf side of the forum of struggling. It used to be that nobody really looked at or commented on the non golf section of the forum, now it is the opposite.

If I get the clubs out again then yes, I would go to forum meets again but I would probably stick to more local ones, the days of driving a couple of hours, playing a course cheaply as a member guest and staying in a £50 bargain travel lodge are pretty much gone for so many reasons.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Been to lots over the years, the "mini-meets" and the major meets.

I enjoy both types for different reasons but agree with what several have pointed out and that is that cost has spiralled in the last 2 or 3 years, both courses and hotels.

There also seems to be a lack of enthusiasm to travel even short distances unless the course is a big one.

I've tried to organise quite a few smaller meets over the years, some successfully but others I just couldn't get the numbers. I'm not a member at a high profile club so maybe that accounts for it but I've also tried to organise meets at more interesting courses, again with often disappointing responses.

Anyone who takes on arranging a big meet has nothing but my admiration. The fixing of the initial deal at what is usually a top 100 club, the endless nudges and reminders to get people to commit and pay up front and the actual running of the day all go to make these a major undertaking, hats off to all those who have stepped up to do them!

Skytot

Visit site
1. No
2. Don’t think there’s been any around the Manchester area
3. I would certainly concider it