Golf Meets

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Have you ever been to a meet

• Total voters

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will add that I think that the prevalence of the Out of Bounds section of the forum has aided in the decline of the forum meets.

When it was only, and then mainly, a golf forum, we celebrated the thing we had in common and people wanted to meet up for a round. Since the Out of Bounds section became the more popular, we have been dwelling on the things that make us different and that leads to discourse, cliques and no end of bad things.

Previously I would have met up with anyone because all I knew was that it was someone else who loved golf and I rarely talk about anything controversial on the course. Now, for first time in the 16 years on here, I can honestly say that the way some people act on here, I would be less inclined to join them for a round.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I will add that I think that the prevalence of the Out of Bounds section of the forum has aided in the decline of the forum meets.

When it was only, and then mainly, a golf forum, we celebrated the thing we had in common and people wanted to meet up for a round. Since the Out of Bounds section became the more popular, we have been dwelling on the things that make us different and that leads to discourse, cliques and no end of bad things.

Previously I would have met up with anyone because all I knew was that it was someone else who loved golf and I rarely talk about anything controversial on the course. Now, for first time in the 16 years on here, I can honestly say that the way some people act on here, I would be less inclined to join them for a round.

Nail on head!!!!

It’s caused a lot of over policing resulting in the need for bans which has increase friction also.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Is the OOB area really any more popular than previous? It always seemed to be the busier section to me. It got a bit more frantic during Brexit and the bojo years but volume wise I'd be surprised if that view stacked up.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is the OOB area really any more popular than previous? It always seemed to be the busier section to me. It got a bit more frantic during Brexit and the bojo years but volume wise I'd be surprised if that view stacked up.

Back in 2007 there was no OOB section and even after it was introduced, very few people used it or commented on it. If you actually wanted to get a response to your post it had to be in the Lounge section. There was actually quite a bit of debate as to whether there should be an OOB section at all.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Lounge runs at 4 threads for every thread in OOB
Lounge has 2 posts for every post in OOB

OOB has lots less topics… but gawd its done to death when a thread is started in there

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Back in 2007 there was no OOB section and even after it was introduced, very few people used it or commented on it. If you actually wanted to get a response to your post it had to be in the Lounge section. There was actually quite a bit of debate as to whether there should be an OOB section at all.

How long had been around in 2007 ? I'd imagine it was building up a user base still. You also had rivals such as golfmagic. My own personal view is that the hard line moderation and general efforts to santise the place has been its biggest downfall. As for meets I've seen people questioning other forumers right to be here simply because they didn't attend meets.
Like it or not, it can be a very unwelcoming place at times

D

Deleted member 15344

One of the popular events that was run was a local event were winners went into a final at a course in the middle

So the cost of the local events was a lot smaller , there was no need for travel

Would people be interested and also willing next year to start that up

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
How long had been around in 2007 ? I'd imagine it was building up a user base still. You also had rivals such as golfmagic. My own personal view is that the hard line moderation and general efforts to santise the place has been its biggest downfall. As for meets I've seen people questioning other forumers right to be here simply because they didn't attend meets.
Like it or not, it can be a very unwelcoming place at times

Thing is, it never used to be. I have my own feelings on what has caused much of that but I will keep those to myself.

The rivalry with Golfmagic was actually something celebrated on here and actually resulted in a few head to head forum matches between the two sites and so that actually drove traffic between the two and also encouraged meet ups.

The moderating has not changed. i was one of the first ever set of mods and there is no difference now to how it was then, in fact some of the original mods are still moderating now.

As for sanitising the place, you really did not have to worry about that when it was only about golf and so it really was not a downfall. It was the Out of Bounds section that brought in the 'wider' views that needed moderating. The golf forum rarely did until LIV started up.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’ve voted no, but would.

For me, the location, cost and time are an issue. If there was something more local then I would be tempted.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What was your previous account then?? o_O Did I miss the common knowledge on this one?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I've been to quite a few across the country now and I'm pretty much as midlands as it gets.

Done 3 H4H's - Blackmoor, Hayling and Hankley and a few midlands forum links around the Leicester area. Plus one day at Coventry golf club which was my first forum event.

I'm not put off by a drive for good golf and good company - and I'm yet to meet someone I dislike from the forum.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
4 H4Hs for me but they are the only meet ups I've done so far. I'm in for the Princes trip next year and am really looking forward to that.

Would love to get involved a bit more and do more small meet ups but as above; cost, time, family, limited annual leave all have to be considered.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Thing is, it never used to be. I have my own feelings on what has caused much of that but I will keep those to myself.

The rivalry with Golfmagic was actually something celebrated on here and actually resulted in a few head to head forum matches between the two sites and so that actually drove traffic between the two and also encouraged meet ups.

The moderating has not changed. i was one of the first ever set of mods and there is no difference now to how it was then, in fact some of the original mods are still moderating now.

As for sanitising the place, you really did not have to worry about that when it was only about golf and so it really was not a downfall. It was the Out of Bounds section that brought in the 'wider' views that needed moderating. The golf forum rarely did until LIV started up.
With the RC upcoming it should be busier .

Springveldt

Visit site
I've attended 1 meet which was a mini one on Saturday at South Shields. I didn't really get a chance to chat much though as I was late in arriving and being the last group out I didn't get much of a chance at the end to chat either as people had to leave. Hopefully there will be another meet up here that I'll get to in time and have a proper chat with people.

As for the big meets that are down south I doubt I would ever really get to one based on family life.