• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Have you ever been to a meet

• Total voters

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
yes & yes
much enjoyed the mega meets and i'd attend future ones under the conditions that i don't need a visa to enter UK and the meeting spans over a couple of days and rounds

Good to see you posting. Hope you are well. Still remember playing Murcar with you and the wind and hail :)

The Lion

Visit site
I’m in. When do you need a deposit?

Love this! Can look at options this autumn and arrange for springtime.

Will depend on how my difficult life goes too. If things go well, I’ll do it. But don’t want to commit if things aren’t great, as I don’t want to let anyone down.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
my fingers were so cold i couldnt move my putter properly 🥶

I played the "Kent links forum meet" and we had the "beast from the east" . On the first day it was so cold my right eye got bloodshot and then the blood froze in the eye with the bitter cold. I managed to drive home and overnight it defrosted and managed to play the next day.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve enjoyed H4H the last few years and would be keen to organise a meet in future, perhaps around my home course North Wales and Conwy over the bay..

i would certainly be in for a H4H up there - lovely area and some great courses that i haven't played!

Stayed in Conwy just after first covid - well over the estuary anyway and had a walk around the perimeter of Conwy and it looks a great track. Some nice pubs etc in the town - bring it on!!

On that trip we drove the Wales coast, at least until Laugharne. It is an amazingly stunning journey and one you could plan over a few days around golf :)

The Lion

Visit site
i would certainly be in for a H4H up there - lovely area and some great courses that i haven't played!

Stayed in Conwy just after first covid - well over the estuary anyway and had a walk around the perimeter of Conwy and it looks a great track. Some nice pubs etc in the town - bring it on!!

On that trip we drove the Wales coast, at least until Laugharne. It is an amazingly stunning journey and one you could plan over a few days around golf :)

It sounds idyllic and reminds me of all the lovely little trips I’ve done in recent years.

Always happy to give tips, share knowledge and even arrange a mini trip for a small group in North Wales. There us loads to do and see, and plentiful golf to satiate everyone.

Will also see what I can do re arranging a bigger trip up that way for the future too…

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't post all that much but wouldn't have stuck around on here early on without the meets because of the opportunity to play great courses. I was therefore sometimes careful about posting something semi-controversial or too opinionated because thats not what golf is about, and my primary purpose for being on here was to play golf.

I think that has shifted over the years, many new posters clearly have no intention of ever playing in a meet, and therefore aren't really bothered what they say. That in my opinion has caused some divide and created a shift in the 'culture' on the forum.

From memory, I've had the pleasure of playing the below. And I would play again with everyone I have met and played with.

• My now club for the first time 6 years ago, with a guy on here who then helped me get in and has become a good friend
  • Sunningdale x2
  • Multiple H4Hs - Liphook, Hankley x2, Bearwood, Hayling
  • Berkshire
  • RSG
  • Stoneham
It's easy to see why those people who organise give up after a few. So many late dropouts, people not paying on time etc. If people have built up a network of reliable people they trust to pay up and turn up, then its obvious they will do that off here - even if that is a shame.

Same as this really, initially was a bit apprehensive about meeting up with people I had never met before but the lure of playing at some great courses I decided to go for it. Have attended a few meets and H4H’s over the years now and can honestly say I’ve never met anyone I wouldn’t happily play with again. If it wasn’t for this forum and the meets arranged I very much doubt I would have joined the club I am currently at.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was at that one, think I played with you @Wabinez didn't I?

That original KoK that @virtuocity set up was wonderful, if you want to try and do that again Phil I'd be very tempted. I played Mentmore (@fundy) , Burnham & Berrow (@pokerjoke), Ealing (jimbob.someroo) and I think a Midlands qualifier the location of which I can't recall (most likely Fish). The key thing is that all of them were great little local meets with 12-20 people. Plus the Hillside final (not as a qualifying contestant!), and a round the day before with Rick, Fish and Val at Wallasey.

In general, I used to go to a lot of meets but my ability to take 7 or 8 days a year off work for golf days went away. Plus I moved clubs and found a good crowd of friends to do away days with. Then had a lengthy hiatus from this forum, still only dip in occasionally. I'd consider a mega-meet again, Aberdeen was great, but more likely to attend local stuff.

Some wonderful times though over those years at meets small and large. My first ever meet was one that Fish did at Tadmarton Heath (the winter one where the greens were impersonating skating rinks), I walked in very new to the forum and knowing no-one but there were no cliques, just a bunch of friendly hackers willing to have a knock together.

Seem to remember wanting to stay in the clubhouse with breakfast and coffee rather than go out that day lol, that said lunch made it worthwhile

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played the "Kent links forum meet" and we had the "beast from the east" . On the first day it was so cold my right eye got bloodshot and then the blood froze in the eye with the bitter cold. I managed to drive home and overnight it defrosted and managed to play the next day.

Can still remember teeing off the see wall at cinque ports as the clouds broke and he’ll was unleashed!