Golf Knee Problems - what am i doing wrong?

offshore1

Hacker
Visit site
I have recently come back to golf after a decades break.

Twice in the past 6 months practicing on the driving range has resulted in severe knee pain and stiffness.

The first episode affected both knees for several weeks; the last episode 5 days ago has only affected my left knee and is still very sore (I am right handed).

The pain is centered on the inner side of my left knee.

I wonder if anybody has had the same problem, and could suggest what is causing it? Is something wrong with my set up or technique?

I cycle and play tennis, and have managed to avoid knee injuries from these sports for several years - its the golf!

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

DCB

Visit site
Just recovering from a sprained medial colateral ligament myself. It's taken about 6 weeks so far and although I've played golf, I know it's still not right.

I'm trying to protect the knee by building up the muscles to provide proper support for the knee.

I did mine by catching my studs as I came down a slope, easily done.

Give it proper rest and then strengthen the whole knee.

Look at the Titleist Performance Institute web site for info and ideas to help build stability in the legs.

gazzroberts

Visit site
Medial Collateral sounds like it could be the issue. I have had numerous issues with mine causing 3 complete knee dislocations! golf has never aggrevated it for me but as i have learnt from many sesions at the physio its often not the knee that is the cause of the problem, usually a muscle imballance elsewhere in the leg. for me its quads and glutes. Its best to see a doctor and/or physio if it persists.

You would also be suprised how much simple stretching of calves, hamstrings and quads can help alleviate the pressure on your knee.

Hope that helps

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a cruciate reconstruction of the left knee a few years back and also have arthritus of the left hip and I find that standing at address with the left foot splayed open to where is comfortable helps. It stops too much pressure on the knee and hips on the down swing and is well worth a try

Chris

offshore1

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the replies on that. It does sound very much like the medial ligament problem described.

I will have to take a different approach to avoid this again - its not worth the pain!