Golf is more tiring than I thought!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had a fall a month ago and damaged my wrist. Soft tissue injury, but it was so bad I couldn't even lift a kettle this time last week.

It has felt better this week, so went to range on Sunday and hit 50 balls. Bit of pain, but bearable, so decided to play yesterday. My plan was to play 9 holes and take it from there. Played the 9 stuck behind a slow 4 ball, but when they walked off, I decided to carry on as I was playing ok, and the wrist wasn't too bad. That was a mistake as the wrist got progressively more painful, and I had to pack in after 14.

I've been so bored for the last month, so I've been to gym around 15-20 times, doing cardio vascular stuff - treadmill and exercise bike. Despite that, I was physically exhausted after the 14 holes, went home, had a bath and fell asleep in front of the telly.

I normally play 3 times a week, and was amazed at how knackered I was after a month off! Anyone else had this experience, or am I just a wimp?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Probably just the fresh air. I’d keep off that wrist though. No point pushing an early return this time of year to find you’re knackered for the coming season.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Probably just the fresh air. I’d keep off that wrist though. No point pushing an early return this time of year to find you’re knackered for the coming season.

done loads of long beach walks over the last week, so am used to fresh air, but good point re the wrist - I knew the sensible thing was to come off after 9 but was enjoying being back too much!

Got a few days off now as going away for New Year, will be Sunday or Monday before I'm hitting a ball again, but am going to take it slowly.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf is the best part of a 8 mile hike.
If you have been out of action for weeks you lose your fitness very quickly.
Take your time coming back.
I have had two wrist ops . Did you get an X-ray.
The wrist is a complicated joint and needs time to heal.
I had a broken scaphoid for three years and just thought it was a weakness.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Golf is the best part of a 8 mile hike.
If you have been out of action for weeks you lose your fitness very quickly.
Take your time coming back.
I have had two wrist ops . Did you get an X-ray.
The wrist is a complicated joint and needs time to heal.
I had a broken scaphoid for three years and just thought it was a weakness.

yes, had an x-ray a couple of days after the accident, fortunately no break.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I always start well and can get 12-13 holes in before I start to tire and game goes, I stop lining up putts and generally lose all concentration it's just recently iv been noticed it, never thought of golf as a physical sport in the past

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I hadn't play for 2 weeks before a game on Sunday and certainly was a bit stiff the next day, but then so was my 36 year old son ?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I set out for my second ever round of golf yesterday, intending to play 18. I stopped after nine because I was tired physically and mentally.

When taking up the game you don’t have the “golf stamina” yet. This also rings true for coming back to the game after a long break.

Usually the first few rounds are OK but as you get better or improve it takes more mental effort to do 18. You tend to have more things to think about and you also start to put a bit of pressure on yourself if the first few rounds were better than you expected. You were playing with a free and open mind and little mental baggage.

I find around holes 8-12 my game goes downhill, it comes back for the end as the pressure is off. The more I play the later in the round that drop of comes in. So once I am back “in the swing” it’s holes 15-18 with maybe a slight resurgence at the end.

Once you understand where this drop off is you can learn to counter it and work to push it back later in the round or not at all!

The better players are able to be far more consistent over 18 vs a player with low golf stamina who can waste a lot shots during the slump.

Also be aware of the “second wind” effect over the last few holes, that can help you form a strategy to get through the slump with as little damage as possible.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
done loads of long beach walks over the last week, so am used to fresh air, but good point re the wrist - I knew the sensible thing was to come off after 9 but was enjoying being back too much!

Got a few days off now as going away for New Year, will be Sunday or Monday before I'm hitting a ball again, but am going to take it slowly.
Personally I’d leave it longer and do some wrist exercises. Have a great time away!

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Two mile walk back and forth to the course?

Look...I know you pay the same for a liter of petrol that we pay for a whole gallon...so you don't have to buy a Land Rover or a Bentley....
but buy a Mini Cooper for God's sake.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Look...I know you pay the same for a liter of petrol that we pay for a whole gallon...so you don't have to buy a Land Rover or a Bentley....
how else are you supposed to get there, horse and cart?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

the big diff between the UK and the US is that 99% of golfers would walk the course while playing.... unlike you lazy buggers in your buggies:ROFLMAO:

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
how else are you supposed to get there, horse and cart?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

the big diff between the UK and the US is that 99% of golfers would walk the course while playing.... unlike you lazy buggers in your buggies:ROFLMAO:

Lots of us walk the course as well..until we reach retirement age and can't. By then, with no more mortgage or kids' tuitions, we can afford to ride carts.

We're a lot fatter than you are. I love the UK, but our restaurants are definitely better.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Lots of us walk the course as well..until we reach retirement age and can't. By then, with no more mortgage or kids' tuitions, we can afford to ride carts.

We're a lot fatter than you are. I love the UK, but our restaurants are definitely better.
just solved you own problem right there:ROFLMAO:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Most courses at this time of year will have been wet and muddy and so walking on them will have felt a little harder. I am surprised though having gone from playing several times a week that even with the heavy conditions that you are suddenly struggling so much, especially having done cardio-vascular work at the gym. Are you generally feeling more tired in general? May be worth mentioning it to a GP

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I have three Cars.
I choose when to use them.
Drinking and driving is not allowed.
Buggies should be banned on courses ,especially full of overweight ,loud yanks.;)