Golf in Orlando

Carl140284

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm flying with Virgin and it's free to take them, it's just that it's mainly a family holiday and don't know if I'm going to be able to get out more than once in 2 weeks. Not sure if it's worth the hassle dragging them around the airports to only end up playing one round...

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm flying with Virgin and it's free to take them, it's just that it's mainly a family holiday and don't know if I'm going to be able to get out more than once in 2 weeks. Not sure if it's worth the hassle dragging them around the airports to only end up playing one round...

I wouldnt go to the hassle for 1 round personally. 3 or more then its a no brainer.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

I'd agree with Val, not worth the hassle of having to lump them all the way to Florida, then try and get them in a hire car with all the other luggage/kids/wives for what, 3 to 4 hours of use?

Looking at your existing set I expect you will get at least as modern clubs, plus you can use it as an opportunity to try out some new manufacturers wares. After all it will only be a friendly bounce game in the sun.

Last edited:

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Which is correct if you dont take another case to check in, assuming flying in economy of course. If you take another case you'll be charged.

Agreed. Loads of Avios though so flying Club class, with an allowance of 3x23kg bags per person.

I'll be playing 6 or 7 times in the 3 weeks so worth it for me, not sure I'd bother for 1 or 2 rounds though.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agreed. Loads of Avios though so flying Club class, with an allowance of 3x23kg bags per person.

I'll be playing 6 or 7 times in the 3 weeks so worth it for me, not sure I'd bother for 1 or 2 rounds though.

It's the only way to fly, we are flying to Miami CW in Sept. Great for the luggage allowance never mind the space and bed coming home

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's the only way to fly, we are flying to Miami CW in Sept. Great for the luggage allowance never mind the space and bed coming home

Completely agree, my wife and 10 year old daughter won't even entertain anything other than CW anymore for long haul:eek:

Shame we're a week apart this year, would definitely have been up for a knock around streamsong. We're there 11/8 - 2/9

Carl140284

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys, think I'm along the same train of thought that won't be worth the hassle. Found out from the wife last night that the person we are renting the villa off actually has 2 sets of clubs in the villa for us to use. This makes the decision even easier.

Found out from the GM of Southern Dunes that it closes on May 23rd until September 15 this year (as someone mentioned earlier). Hoping they might do some week long packages or something as I'm staying on the course...

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks guys, think I'm along the same train of thought that won't be worth the hassle. Found out from the wife last night that the person we are renting the villa off actually has 2 sets of clubs in the villa for us to use. This makes the decision even easier.

Found out from the GM of Southern Dunes that it closes on May 23rd until September 15 this year (as someone mentioned earlier). Hoping they might do some week long packages or something as I'm staying on the course...

Looks like I'll get a go once it re-opens then as i had out there late September.

It's a great track SD, one of my favourites out there. The greens are always superb so I hope the work they are doing doesnt affect them.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
so does anyone know how to get a round on Bayhill without staying over? ta

TBH Matt, have a look at staying over for a night, I don't think it's as much as you think, considering you get to play a bucket list course. Random day in June was $170 for the room for a night.

And you never know who you may see on the course.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers guys! May have to leave until another time if I have to stay over!

we already got 3 nights up in sawgrass to visit the area and watch the players !

besides just priced up and would cost us £342 for one night and a round of golf! Ouch :(

Last edited:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Providence is decent, it was always very cheap when I played it but haven't played it for a few years now. Surprised Southern Dunes were re-doing the greens as they are the best greens out there. Falcons fire is ok but it's always soaking wet as the drainage ain't great.

El Campion at Mission Hills is reported to be superb but haven't brought myself to do the journey as its a few miles away from central Orlando.

Played Providence when I was there last July. Trouble was the greens weren't in great shape but I think that July is their equivalent to winter there. Rates lower than other times of the year and not many about. Really enjoyed the course itself, friendly staff and a decent pizza in the bar. Not to pricey with club hire or anything either.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played Providence when I was there last July. Trouble was the greens weren't in great shape but I think that July is their equivalent to winter there. Rates lower than other times of the year and not many about. Really enjoyed the course itself, friendly staff and a decent pizza in the bar. Not to pricey with club hire or anything either.
That's good to know, we're staying right near Providence so was going to play there first to get rid of the cobwebs, before venturing further afield.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's good to know, we're staying right near Providence so was going to play there first to get rid of the cobwebs, before venturing further afield.
Staying around there you aren't far from grand cypress either. In fact you pass GC going to pretty much any central part of Orlando.