Golf in Orlando

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wentworth doesn't even come close. Streamsong has a much more linksy look to it.

I know, I meant in terms of venue, facility etc not comparing the courses like for like. I'm aware as a course it's like comparing Muifield to Gleneagles.I was really just looking as to what stature Mike has it at as an all time top 10 favourite. Where he'd fit it between.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For info, Southern Dunes is closed from early may to mid-september this year, they're re-laying all the greens. Gutted as it waste of my favourites our trip in early september 2014.

Celebration is great, albeit the pace of play tends to be pretty slow unless you're out quite early in the morning.

Championsgate is good, International is probably a slightly better track than the National IMO, both generally in good nick though.

Played Falcons Fire and quite enjoyed it, fairly standard american resort type course.

Mystic Dunes wouldn't go back to, nice enough layout but condition not great.

Can recommend Orange County National, played the Panther Lake course, pretty awesome IMO, and in fantastic condition.
This year looking to play Providence (staying at Watersong and its on the doorstep), Mission Hills, Celebration, Orange County National.

Streamsong looks and sounds absolutely awesome, bit more expensive than the others but looks to be in a different league. It was recommended to me last time by a couple of americans I got paired up with. Walking course, caddies, looks a bit special.

There from August 12 through to September 2, if anyone's around and fancies a game.......

Providence is decent, it was always very cheap when I played it but haven't played it for a few years now. Surprised Southern Dunes were re-doing the greens as they are the best greens out there. Falcons fire is ok but it's always soaking wet as the drainage ain't great.

El Campion at Mission Hills is reported to be superb but haven't brought myself to do the journey as its a few miles away from central Orlando.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree with break 90 and Val , Providence is a very nice course and if you register on their website you may get a deal too!

we are gong to try and play Ocn this year as somehow we have managed not to play it over the past 3 years

has anyone ever managed to get a game at Bay Hill without having to stay overnight ?

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
I know, I meant in terms of venue, facility etc not comparing the courses like for like. I'm aware as a course it's like comparing Muifield to Gleneagles.I was really just looking as to what stature Mike has it at as an all time top 10 favourite. Where he'd fit it between.

In terms of style and feel and operation I'd bracket it with Trump International, Doonbeg, European Club and Castle Stuart

modern links with very high end facilities

my top 10 is an ever changing list but always features Muirfield, North Berwick, Morfontaine, Sunningdale (Old and New), Dornoch!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't played Streamsong but would love to go. Some people whose opinion I trust consider it world class and far better than anything else around Orlando. That said, there are some courses in the area which are pretty good. I would put Orange County National pretty near the top of the rest, along with Southern Dunes. Lake Nona and Bay Hill if you can get on. Grande Lakes is OK, but I though Grande Vista was very forgettable. I thought the same for Grand Cypress. Expensive and well maintained but boring. The St Andrews homage is risible.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions, certainly gives me some good choices and some playing partners which is an unexpected bonus :thup:

Carl140284

Medal Winner
Visit site
For info, Southern Dunes is closed from early may to mid-september this year, they're re-laying all the greens. Gutted as it waste of my favourites our trip in early september 2014.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm staying at a Villa on Southern Dunes, end of April to Mid May so will need to make sure I get my round in early!!!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lucky you's it's about 28 for me but I'm playing Streamsong all being well, that's going to be worth the wait ;)

I'm still seriously tempted by Streamsong but think I will have to give it a miss this time around. We'll be back in a few years so Mrs H and I will probably drive down and stay for a night or two and I'll play it then.

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm still seriously tempted by Streamsong but think I will have to give it a miss this time around. We'll be back in a few years so Mrs H and I will probably drive down and stay for a night or two and I'll play it then.

There's plenty of quality courses nearer, hardest choice is picking which one,

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
When you guys go, do you normally take your own clubs, or just hire some out there?

Don't bother taking mine as I am primarily there on a family holiday, not to play golf, so the cost of hiring is less than the cost and hassle of taking a full set with me. So I hire. The ones I've hired in the US have mostly been pretty recent TMs, but as a lefty it can be a bit hit an miss. As over the years I've had a set of blades from it looked like the the mid 60s, that I suspect Rory would have struggled to get the ball airborne with. And on the other end of the scale I once had a brand new set of TMs, putter, irons, woods, the lot. Where they literally had to peel the cellophane off them so I could play with them.

But if you are a righty then you should be fine hiring as long as you are a relatively standard set up.