Hi and Orlando question!

Danam1

Visit site
Hi all, new to the forum but have been a magazine subscriber for a few years!

I’m off to Orlando next week and am hoping to get a game in??
Orange County National and Grand Cypress are only a stones throw from where I’m staying. Would you recommend one of these courses over the other or are they of similar quality? I play off 16……
P.S. I’ll add Orange Lake into the list too as that’s even closer!
thanks

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Orange lake is a very short par three course ,nice enough but not much of a challenge.
OCN now your talking one of the best in the area.
We have played it lots of times.
Host for the USPGA tour qualifying school.
Panther Lake is better imo but Crooked Cat is just as good but a bit more open.
Don’t be tempted to play the back tees it’s brutal.
Best practice ground I have ever seen.
Look on golf Now they have some very nice deals.
They do a twilight deal after 3pm so some great deals just phone the pro shop they are very accommodating to us brits .
Great food and nice bar .

Grand Cypress is nice but if I was choosing it would be OCN.
If you have time 30 mins down US27 south is Southern Dunes GCC what a course my fav in Orlando.
If you want to know anymore I will try to help.
Have a great time.

The Fader

Visit site
As CC98 says - OCN over Grand Cyprus every time.

Used to host PGA Q -school finals, so that is a good indicator of its quality. Frank Lickliter III holds one of the course records.

Southern Dunes is another cracker. You wouldn't be disappointed playing there.

Orange Lake Resort is bang average and has ideas above its station.

If you could face a 90 minute drive and devote a whole day to your golf - check out World Woods. 2 fantastic courses. Their 36 hole deals are brilliant value.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'll buck the trend and choose Grand Cypress every time over OCN and caveat it on it depends what loops of 9's you play. Both venues are stunning. I concur with the suggestion of Southern Dunes, outstanding course. I'll throw a suggestion of Waldrof Astoria in. For me it is the best of the 30ish courses I've played in the area, not cheap but worth every coin.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As CC98 says - OCN over Grand Cyprus every time.

Used to host PGA Q -school finals, so that is a good indicator of its quality. Frank Lickliter III holds one of the course records.

Southern Dunes is another cracker. You wouldn't be disappointed playing there.

Orange Lake Resort is bang average and has ideas above its station.

If you could face a 90 minute drive and devote a whole day to your golf - check out World Woods. 2 fantastic courses. Their 36 hole deals are brilliant value.
The Frank Lickliter record was 27 under.
We played there two days later.
Billy big B….. we played off the tips ,couldn’t get on the par fours with two woods hitting driver to the par threes.
Shows how good them lads are.
So 6500 yds is max for us now.
Great golf complex .

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll buck the trend and choose Grand Cypress every time over OCN and caveat it on it depends what loops of 9's you play. Both venues are stunning. I concur with the suggestion of Southern Dunes, outstanding course. I'll throw a suggestion of Waldrof Astoria in. For me it is the best of the 30ish courses I've played in the area, not cheap but worth every coin.
We alway found the Waldorf never in great condition
Possibly because we go in April so maintenance getting done.

My favourite course if you can stand the drive to Daytona is LPGA Hills course it’s a stunner.
Mission Inn El Campion is great also.

Danam1

Visit site
Thank you very much for your quick help!
I’m assuming that when you book you get paired up (or put in a fourball) and wouldn’t play on your own? I’m the only person in our group who plays so I’ll be going on my little own some!
I think I’ll hire clubs instead of taking my own as I’ll only probably get to play the once? I’ll message OCN to see if they hire clubs too.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you very much for your quick help!
I’m assuming that when you book you get paired up (or put in a fourball) and wouldn’t play on your own? I’m the only person in our group who plays so I’ll be going on my little own some!
I think I’ll hire clubs instead of taking my own as I’ll only probably get to play the once? I’ll message OCN to see if they hire clubs too.
If there is a spare place they will pair you up but give you your own buggy.
But if it’s quiet you can play alone no problem.
It rare to be very quiet but give yourself time to enjoy the course as you can miss a lot just whizzing up and down in a buggy.

The Fader

Visit site
Most Orlando courses are geared up for tourists. Club hire is a given and it won't be a set of 10 year old, battered sticks.

Tell OCN you would like to be paired up. I'm sure they will sort you out.

Always interesting if you get paired with locals. Great fun but either single figures who can't break 85 without mulligans or higher handicappers who hit it 280 off the tee and don't miss many greens. And to think we based WHS on the American way!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most Orlando courses are geared up for tourists. Club hire is a given and it won't be a set of 10 year old, battered sticks.

Tell OCN you would like to be paired up. I'm sure they will sort you out.

Always interesting if you get paired with locals. Great fun but either single figures who can't break 85 without mulligans or higher handicappers who hit it 280 off the tee and don't miss many greens. And to think we based WHS on the American way!!
Spot on but one thing I did notice is they can all putt like pros.
Must be the all year round Good weather.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi all, new to the forum but have been a magazine subscriber for a few years!

I’m off to Orlando next week and am hoping to get a game in??
Orange County National and Grand Cypress are only a stones throw from where I’m staying. Would you recommend one of these courses over the other or are they of similar quality? I play off 16……
P.S. I’ll add Orange Lake into the list too as that’s even closer!
thanks

OCN is very good, two courses previously used for PGA Tour School. They have a lot of variety and character by Orlando standards. Cypress is OK, high end, lots of money spent, but parts of it are laughable, such as the nod to St Andrews. If you get it at a decent rate, maybe worth a pop.

I like Champions Gate. Played Waldorf Astoria and it was win good nick but rather forgettable (much like most Orlando golf).

If you have some time on your hands, and willing to take a drive, Streamsong (link). 90 min drive from central Orlando. I haven't had the chance but some people I know who know golf say that it is fantastic.