Golf etiquette (faster play)

Bamberdele21

Visit site
seems like I’m getting trolled a lot in this thread…

Like I said, I only play like this with one pal. No dramas in the slightest.

We played today and went round in 2 hours 34. Didn’t putt once while he was approaching so it seems like he’s got the message and upped his game.

We had a few beers but I drank shandies. Even ate food to soak it up after. Everyone’s a winner ?

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Just a quick update as we have not long finished our round. He scored 98 and I came in at 88 so my estimation of being 10 shots ahead was bob on.

I haven’t really told the full story of my playing partner…

He often gets injuries (when he’s having a bad round coincidentally). This often contributes to him slow playing. On previous rounds he’d be doing yoga exercises on tee off rolling around on the floor doing certain stretches to ‘click his hip in’. All this with his practice swings, club selection, stopping mid way through swing to swat flies on his leg and all that yoga thrown in infuriates me and I end up just playing my own game hence why I created this thread.

Today he was ‘injury free’ and we played at a decent pace.

Hope that’s built a better picture.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I think the only instance you can do this in is during a friendly round tbh
I'd disagree with this totally. I play medal and match play and spend a lot of my time walking with, and talking with, my opponent or co-player. If I wasn't near them, or they weren't near me, then I would consider one of us to be unsociable. I've got to know a lot of the other members at the course by playing with them in competitions.
Also 2h 34m is pretty fast for 18 holes. For me, being rushed around a golf course at a pace faster than I feel comfortable with is not a way I would like to play, and I'm not a slow player. You seem to be almost making the round of golf into a time trial.
We obviously have different viewpoints about what makes an enjoyable round of golf.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
I'd disagree with this totally. I play medal and match play and spend a lot of my time walking with, and talking with, my opponent or co-player. If I wasn't near them, or they weren't near me, then I would consider one of us to be unsociable. I've got to know a lot of the other members at the course by playing with them in competitions.
Also 2h 34m is pretty fast for 18 holes. For me, being rushed around a golf course at a pace faster than I feel comfortable with is not a way I would like to play, and I'm not a slow player. You seem to be almost making the round of golf into a time trial.
We obviously have different viewpoints about what makes an enjoyable round of golf.

you’re probably right in the fact that I’m rushing around but that’s purely my style of play because I want to get the round over and analyse how much improvement I’ve made. Playing close to my said playing partner is not really on my agenda because we are playing on average twice a week and anything we want to talk about we do after the round in the bar with a pint.

FYI I’m one of the most sociable people you could meet but when I’m on a golf course I just want to get it done as quickly as possible otherwise anything longer than 3 hours will bore the tits off me.

I’m used to playing games / sports which are very fast paced compared to golf so I guess this is one area of the game I suppose I will to have to get used to.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played a match against a member known for a similar approach to his golf as the OP. It was so easy to beat him with a little slowing here and there just to annoy him (he was annoying anyway).

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
you’re probably right in the fact that I’m rushing around but that’s purely my style of play because I want to get the round over and analyse how much improvement I’ve made. Playing close to my said playing partner is not really on my agenda because we are playing on average twice a week and anything we want to talk about we do after the round in the bar with a pint.
In bold, maybe if you took a little more time and concentrated on your game a bit more, you may see more improvement?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Everyone is different.
Some like to dawdle, some like to run round.
It's when you put the two together that you get problems.

Rather than expecting your friend to play at your speed which he can't/doesn't want to, find another quicker player you can run round with.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Just dont get why you'd try and rush. Are you happier with the 88 or the two hours 40 round? :ROFLMAO:

You'd be suicidal in any comps at my place! 4 and a half hour rounds are normal on Saturdays