No Returns - Due to WHS Guidance

Swango1980

Visit site
First and foremost: This has nothing to do with a desire to punish players for an NR (I know some clubs do, ours doesn't and I personally don't want to punish players for having an NR). However, England Golf have heavily recommended clubs to discipline players who NR, because it can have a much more profound impact on a players handicap under WHS than it would under our current CONGU system. So, if this is going to be the case, I'm interested how other clubs deal with this, or will deal with it, so that it can help us take a reasonable approach in what is bound to be a sensitive subject for some.

Two questions:

1. What do golf clubs currently do about No Returns in Club Competitions?
2. If nothing is done (except for hopefully adding in the no return so the player gets 0.1 back), how do clubs plan to deal with No Returns once WHS is in play?

From the WHS Workshop, if a player No Returns, a Penalty Score should be applied if the reason to quit was not valid. However, the exact procedure is a bit woolly, and the slides provided don't give any real detail. There is the following to consider:

1. If a player plays at least 9 holes, those scores should be entered, and then for all scores where no score recorded, I believe the advice was to put a penalty score of +1 over par (or nett par, can't remember)
2. If a players plays at least 9 holes, but then no returns and doesn't submit card, their scores should be found out, for example on the card they were marking for another player, and entered
3. If a player plays at least 9 holes, but then no returns and for some reason you can't discover any of their holes scores, I presume you just have to put a penalty score for every hole
4. If a player no returns before they play 9 holes, that round should not be used by handicapping. Does this mean we need to distinguish between a player who just gave up on front 9 because he started really badly and was close to the car park and quit, compared to low figure handicapper who wants to stay low, and decides before finishing the 9th that he is playing a poor round, so just walks in (i.e. at the moment, both players get 0.1 back, whereas under WHS score disregarded)

England Golf, therefore, seem to have put the onus on clubs to implement a disciplinary procedure for no returns, so I am trying to figure out if anybody has, or will have plans in place for this? We don't have an issue at the moment, as we know a player will get 0.1 back (and never known a player to no return because they were playing well and trying to avoid a cut, but maybe it happens very rarely). Therefore, no discipline procedure. However, we'll certainly need to get to grips with it before November, and I'd like us to implement something most other clubs will be doing, as I don't want members to think we are being overly strict and cause some discontent (i.e. a player walks off before 9 holes, potentially because he doesn't want a handicap increase, but he could try and say he had hayfever or had a little injury. He might kick off if we discipline him for that, thus anybody could make any sort of excuse to avoid any action)

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had a disciplinary procedure for cards not returned or not entered on the PSI but it was taking up so much of the office staffs time to administer we abandoned it. We did get as far as suspending one players handicap and the ripple effect through the club brought quite a change from a lot of members. We do however see members slipping back in to old ways.

What I plan to to do is start educating the members that NRs and cards not returned will be taken much more seriously under the WHS that hopefully it will seriously reduce the numbers we currently get.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We also have a disciplinary procedure. One default and the player is spoken to. 2 unsatisfactorily explained NRs and the player is given a formal warning. 3 and the player is subject to one of the following. Suspension from comps for a period, suspension of playing rights for a period.
We were suffering about 3 years ago but a couple of suspensions soon stopped it.

Rule 1.2 gives the committee more options and I see it as a useful but hopefully unnecessary tool.

D

Deleted member 3432

We also have a disciplinary procedure. One default and the player is spoken to. 2 unsatisfactorily explained NRs and the player is given a formal warning. 3 and the player is subject to one of the following. Suspension from comps for a period, suspension of playing rights for a period.
We were suffering about 3 years ago but a couple of suspensions soon stopped it.

Rule 1.2 gives the committee more options and I see it as a useful but hopefully unnecessary tool.

Sounds like a bundle of laughs playing comps at your club.

D

Deleted member 3432

And if you were in a position of responsibility, would you just ignore such issues in the hope that they would go away?

Well I certainly think being 'spoken to' after 1st offence is rather draconian. Suspension after 3rd offence, what about those who play 20 or 30 comps a season?

I would rather NR when playing crap and keep of the way of my PP's, I don't want to spoil their round of golf. And what about speed of play issues ratching around in the rough all day?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well I certainly think being 'spoken to' after 1st offence is rather draconian. Suspension after 3rd offence, what about those who play 20 or 30 comps a season?

I would rather NR when playing crap and keep of the way of my PP's, I don't want to spoil their round of golf. And what about speed of play issues ratching around in the rough all day?

Certainly take your point and a lot of us will have been in that horrible position in a medal of playing total crap and then losing a ball and deciding to NR. Not a good thing to do but I can understand it. Seems a bit harsh, especially as you say if someone is putting 20+ comp cards in per season and doesn't have a history of NR'ing to then "have a word" the first time it happens. I think it needs to be looked at with some degree of context

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with saving -par on this, why keep on hacking it around the course holding play up, annoying PPs searching for balls when you've already NRd.
How much difference would a NR after 10 holes make to the CSS, compared to continuing 18 holes [already NRd ] and scoring 20 over the buffer, in the current system or in the new upcoming WHS

Swango1980

Visit site

It will become a problem with WHS, because actual scores need to be entered, so it can pick your best 8. If you were to simply not return a score at all, it gets complicated becausit is not like now, where youd simply just go up 0.1. Therefore, England Golf has strongly encouraged clubs to have strong disciplinary procedures for no returns.

At end of day, golf committees take on the responsibility of managing players handicaps, organising competitions for them, arranging prizes, answering queries, etc. As a golfer, your main responsibility is, if you choose to play competitions, is to try your best, even on bad days, and submit a score. It is not asking for much, is it?

Btw, a no return in the sense that you pick up on one hole, is fine. so long as you play the other holes and enter scores. You'll be out of the comp if medal, but still ok for handicap. The key problem is if a player just picks up, walks off and provides no hole scores at all, or just one or two at start. So, if you are having a nightmare on 1 hole, think you are slowing everyone up, you can pick up and then tee off on next hole. No problem

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
It will become a problem with WHS, because actual scores need to be entered, so it can pick your best 8. If you were to simply not return a score at all, it gets complicated becausit is not like now, where youd simply just go up 0.1. Therefore, England Golf has strongly encouraged clubs to have strong disciplinary procedures for no returns.

At end of day, golf committees take on the responsibility of managing players handicaps, organising competitions for them, arranging prizes, answering queries, etc. As a golfer, your main responsibility is, if you choose to play competitions, is to try your best, even on bad days, and submit a score. It is not asking for much, is it?

Btw, a no return in the sense that you pick up on one hole, is fine. so long as you play the other holes and enter scores. You'll be out of the comp if medal, but still ok for handicap. The key problem is if a player just picks up, walks off and provides no hole scores at all, or just one or two at start. So, if you are having a nightmare on 1 hole, think you are slowing everyone up, you can pick up and then tee off on next hole. No problem
What if the nightmare continues hole after hole, [ and it does for some ] exactly how many holes should you torture yourself and your PPs after you've NRd ? as long as the card is handed in :confused:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ater
What do you do in Stableford? Walk in early?
When it's obvious [ pretty often ] my game/scoring is isn't getting any better, maybe zero points over 10 or 12 holes hacking about and holding people up looking for balls or just being annoying to my PP, yes I'm F offski. :devilish:.
as soon as I get near the club house.
I would never leave a loan player, I'll always hand in my signed NR card, so where's the problem ? Just another over h/c card , probably be my 21st :p.
BTW we play very few Stableford comp at my club mostly stroke play.

Swango1980

Visit site
Ater

When it's obvious [ pretty often ] my game/scoring is isn't getting any better, maybe zero points over 10 or 12 holes hacking about and holding people up looking for balls or just being annoying to my PP, yes I'm F offski. :devilish:.
as soon as I get near the club house.
I would never leave a loan player, I'll always hand in my signed NR card, so where's the problem ? Just another over h/c card , probably be my 21st :p.
BTW we play very few Stableford comp at my club mostly stroke play.
Well, just be careful. If your club start following England Golf guidelines, you might find you get a ban or handicap suspension come November.

If you play more than 9 holes, perhaps you'll get away with it as penalty scores can be added. But, not sure how strict clubs will need to be.

PS: Would you ever be in a position of having zero points over 10-12 holes?? If so, maybe your handicap is either far too low (it will increase quicker under WHS so probably worth finishing round to help you out), or maybe a bit more practice required before going through the stress of playing in a competition..

User20204

Visit site
Warning for having NR's :ROFLMAO: suspended from playing rights :eek:

Sounds like a cracking club to be a member of, where do I sign up :unsure: