Speed of Play! Etiquette?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Yip, I agree. Do you think it is missing because people are not concentrating, or not educated ?

Hugely uneducated now.

As I said earlier I played with an 11 handicap golfer who didn't understand that as he was closest to the hole he was to tend the flag. Myself and the other player in the group just looked at each other! We explained to him that is what happens in golf to keep the game moving and he said he didn't know that!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
People are talking about education but I have never been 'taught' anything about golf etiquette. All has been picked up by watching others and using common sense.

Have some people had experiences of formal meetings in clubhouses where etiquette is taught or run through? Am I reading too much into the education phrase?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
People are talking about education but I have never been 'taught' anything about golf etiquette. All has been picked up by watching others and using common sense.

Have some people had experiences of formal meetings in clubhouses where etiquette is taught or run through? Am I reading too much into the education phrase?

When I first joined a golf club I was given a booklet on etiquette when I joined along with my fixture diary etc. I was told that this should be read prior to my first game. I think this needs to be brought back into golf. No I'm not talking about blazers and smoking rooms coming back I'm just talking about educating people who are new to the game or possibly stuck in their ways.

Replacing the flag then standing on the green chatting or re-counting how many shots you took is rather annoying when you are waiting to play. Watching people have to walk back to the front of a green to collect their golf bag/trolley etc. I have even witnessed someone taking a trolley across the green. Again pleaded ignorance.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I first joined a golf club I was given a booklet on etiquette when I joined along with my fixture diary etc. I was told that this should be read prior to my first game. I think this needs to be brought back into golf. No I'm not talking about blazers and smoking rooms coming back I'm just talking about educating people who are new to the game or possibly stuck in their ways.

Replacing the flag then standing on the green chatting or re-counting how many shots you took is rather annoying when you are waiting to play. Watching people have to walk back to the front of a green to collect their golf bag/trolley etc. I have even witnessed someone taking a trolley across the green. Again pleaded ignorance.
when you join a club your sponsor and seconded are the ones who should ensure you know all these things IMO .
I would not propose somebody who didn’t know how to play or behave on the course.

This has gone now as the sponsor is sometimes not needed due to financial needs of the club anyone can join.
But it’s not just new people to the game there are plenty of ignorant ones that have been playing years.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most clubs up here, you can turn up, fill in the form, hand over your cheque, get your tag, go onto the 1st. The concept of being proposed etc has disappeared largely. I'm okay with that, I think it was a pompous system, but I do think the club should speak to any new member regarding etiquette, expectations of the club when you join.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Most clubs up here, you can turn up, fill in the form, hand over your cheque, get your tag, go onto the 1st. The concept of being proposed etc has disappeared largely. I'm okay with that, I think it was a pompous system, but I do think the club should speak to any new member regarding etiquette, expectations of the club when you join.

100% with you.

To suggest a "proposer or sponsor" is responsible for your etiquette is hardly ideal. Especially if they themselves don't know how to conduct themselves.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
OP: Why were they so far behind? 45mins is at least 3 holes. There is NO excuse for that. And the group behind should have been asking to play through. Why did they not?

The first comp of a season is the opportunity for the club to set out it's stance on slow play. With members and/or committee members who are not playing or not playing until later monitoring the pace of the early groups.

We have of last year a clock on the 7th tee and a clock on the 13th tee set so that, when your group gets to these tees, if you are playing to the 'set' pace the clock will show your tee-off time. If it showing, say, ten minutes after your tee off time - then you are ten minutes off the pace and your group should immediately take whatever remedial actions you can.

If it shows ten minutes before your tee-off time then you are ten minutes ahead of the clock - excellent - but no excuse to not keep up with the group in front, and so if you drop ground and the group behind is waiting then you should do what you know you should do :)

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OP: Why were they so far behind? 45mins is at least 3 holes. There is NO excuse for that. And the group behind should have been asking to play through. Why did they not?

The first comp of a season is the opportunity for the club to set out it's stance on slow play. With members and/or committee members who are not playing or not playing until later monitoring the pace of the early groups.

We have of last year a clock on the 7th tee and a clock on the 13th tee set so that when your group gets to these tees if you are playing to the 'set' pace the clock will show your tee-off time. If it showing, say, ten minutes after your tee off time - then you are ten minutes off the pace and your group should immediately take whatever remedial actions you can. If it shows ten minutes before your tee-off time then you are ten minutes ahead - excellent - but no excuse to not keep up with the group in front.

is it the same time irrelevant if a 2, 3 or 4 ball?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
is it the same time irrelevant if a 2, 3 or 4 ball?

I think the clocks are set for a 4ball pace - so if you are a two ball you know you should be well ahead of the clock. I think we might adjust the clocks for a medal or other comp when we play in three balls - but I am not sure that we do - normal 4ball pace is probably good as a comp 3ball pace. Outside of a comp we know that as a three ball we should be ahead of the clock.

And as I will no doubt be asked 'do playing groups pay attention to what the clocks say?'. In my experience absolutely we do. We get to the 7th tee and check how we are doing - and same on the 13th.

Last edited:

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
4 hours 45 min for a 3 ball yesterday. About standard unfortunately. I am a quick player so it is painful puts me off weekend golf.

We got to the half way hut and there were 2 groups still sitting chatting, with the following hole clear.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We had the slowest player in the club in our group in yesterdays comp. he's a good player but slow is an understatement. This guy had prev held up a 4 ball all the way round as a single player and also taken 5 and half hours to get round a couple of years ago as a 3 ball and ended up letting 7 plus groups though two of which were 4 balls of visitors with Caddies. so has plenty of Previous

I doubt he has every got round in 3 hours in a comp before, but he did yesterday, didn't let him bugger about, so even the slowest can do it given the right encouragement;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

I refer the Honourable Gentleman to my previous post.
There's plenty of reasons, and some of them very valid, as to why a group can lose 45 minutes.
If then first group had a decent day between them and didn't have to look for a ball as opposed to the following group who may have had to look for 8-10 balls. There's your 45 minutes gap in a flash.
The 3rd group may have been having a similar day and didn't get held up, hence them not being let through.
You can't just say " you've lost 3 holes and taken 45 minutes longer than group A therefore you're slow.
You need to know why they've lost that time because it could be a perfectly reasonable reason, within the rules, that doesn't constitute slow play.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I refer the Honourable Gentleman to my previous post.
There's plenty of reasons, and some of them very valid, as to why a group can lose 45 minutes.
If then first group had a decent day between them and didn't have to look for a ball as opposed to the following group who may have had to look for 8-10 balls. There's your 45 minutes gap in a flash.
The 3rd group may have been having a similar day and didn't get held up, hence them not being let through.
You can't just say " you've lost 3 holes and taken 45 minutes longer than group A therefore you're slow.
You need to know why they've lost that time because it could be a perfectly reasonable reason, within the rules, that doesn't constitute slow play.

Granted - but even if you have two groups going at the pace of the group that lost 45mins on OPs group the group behind these two slow or struggling groups should have been ableto lay through both.

Anyway - on Saturday fog caused a delayed start until 9:30am and so the course was rammed. Front nine was awful slow and by time we reached 13 the clock told us that we were 25mins off pace. Maybe coincidence but the final six holes were at a good pace.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
In Germany, everybody on the course should be familiar with the etiquette, since it is taught in the obligatory "Platzreifekurs", the Get Into Golf course that every German player has to take before they are allowed on the course. In fact, for most players it is several months before they get to play on a real golf course. And then there are rabbit and newcomer comps, introductory rounds with the local pro ... Does it help? ... I don't think so. You find the same kind of behaviours and problems on the course as anywhere else. Some people just aren't very considerate or just totally oblivious to their environment when they play. It might be egoism or just a lack of awareness, but at least here it is not lack of education.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Some people want to run round, others are in the middle and some want to take their time or physically cant play/walk faster.
Who's decision is it to dictate how slow/fast you should play?

If the fast players are 'drawn together' off early then they'll be happy.
The slowcoaches can be allocated the later tee times so they won't be rushed and everyone else in the middle.
Everyones happy.
Its like a race on a narrow road.....Ferrari first, Ford in the middle and Fiat at the back.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
One of the lads did 18 holes as a single on Saturday (with a buggy) in 34 minutes... shot 76 gross

While we're young!

(part of a charity day so the course was geared to it with no hold-ups)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Some people want to run round, others are in the middle and some want to take their time or physically cant play/walk faster.
Who's decision is it to dictate how slow/fast you should play?

If the fast players are 'drawn together' off early then they'll be happy.
The slowcoaches can be allocated the later tee times so they won't be rushed and everyone else in the middle.
Everyones happy.
Its like a race on a narrow road.....Ferrari first, Ford in the middle and Fiat at the back.

Because one of the main reasons given for falling golf numbers is that people don't have enough time to devote to golf, this is compounded by people taking ages in front of you and/or failing to call you through.

Of course we are not talking about people who physically can't walk quickly, and everyone should be able to have a chat as after all it is a social game. But too many times I have seen a group of three drive to different parts of the hole, and all three of them go to each others ball let them play then all three move onto the next ball.

Whilst we know that unless you are directly in front of someone you should go to your own ball and prepare to play. Not to mention leaving bags on the wrong side, chatting on the green after holing out.

Yes some people will be quicker than others but we shouldn't excuse slow play as people wanting a chat and a social round

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
One of the lads did 18 holes as a single on Saturday (with a buggy) in 34 minutes... shot 76 gross

While we're young!

(part of a charity day so the course was geared to it with no hold-ups)

Impressive. Did he get out of the buggy at all or did he hit it polo style while passing by? :D