Speed of Play! Etiquette?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Because one of the main reasons given for falling golf numbers is that people don't have enough time to devote to golf, this is compounded by people taking ages in front of you and/or failing to call you through.

Of course we are not talking about people who physically can't walk quickly, and everyone should be able to have a chat as after all it is a social game. But too many times I have seen a group of three drive to different parts of the hole, and all three of them go to each others ball let them play then all three move onto the next ball.

Whilst we know that unless you are directly in front of someone you should go to your own ball and prepare to play. Not to mention leaving bags on the wrong side, chatting on the green after holing out.

Yes some people will be quicker than others but we shouldn't excuse slow play as people wanting a chat and a social round

I can safely say I disagree with almost all of that

D

Deleted Member 1156

To join my club you have to be interviewed and have a 'playing in' round. This gives the club a chance to assess how the person acts on the course.....etiquette, pace of play etc.

Maybe if every club did this the problem might not be so bad :whistle:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Because one of the main reasons given for falling golf numbers is that people don't have enough time to devote to golf, this is compounded by people taking ages in front of you and/or failing to call you through.

Of course we are not talking about people who physically can't walk quickly, and everyone should be able to have a chat as after all it is a social game. But too many times I have seen a group of three drive to different parts of the hole, and all three of them go to each others ball let them play then all three move onto the next ball.

Whilst we know that unless you are directly in front of someone you should go to your own ball and prepare to play. Not to mention leaving bags on the wrong side, chatting on the green after holing out.

Yes some people will be quicker than others but we shouldn't excuse slow play as people wanting a chat and a social round

My bestest golfing buddy has a habit of chatting away about any old thing as he prepares to play his shot. This inevitably causes him to pause his shot prep from time to time as he stops to emphasise something about what he is talking about. I am going to have to say something.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
To join my club you have to be interviewed and have a 'playing in' round. This gives the club a chance to assess how the person acts on the course.....etiquette, pace of play etc.

Maybe if every club did this the problem might not be so bad :whistle:
Same at my club.

I was played in by a the best lady player at the club. I was on best behaviour, until she thinned one through the green on the front nine and then swore like a trooper. Knew I would get on well at the club.:eek: