Golf etiquette (faster play)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok we’ve established my golf etiquette needs a bit of work when it comes to social golf.

Another question…

Am I being rude if we have both missed the fairway on our drives and I am 100 yards further than him on the right and he is 100 yards behind me on the left.

Yet I go to look for my ball first before helping him look for his? ?
If he actually can't find his ball it is good manners to help him look for it. It's only 3 minutes out of your day at the most.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Ok we’ve established my golf etiquette needs a bit of work when it comes to social golf.

Another question…

Am I being rude if we have both missed the fairway on our drives and I am 100 yards further than him on the right and he is 100 yards behind me on the left.

Normally, if there is really that much of a difference, I would help him to look for his. It will also speed up your pace of play as two people looking for a ball has a better chance of finding it quickly than one. To be honest, I don't think at the moment a lot of people would enjoy playing with you.

Perhaps you need to watch this video

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Another question…

If you pass where his ball is - unless yours is also possibly lost, why wouldnt you help look?

Bamberdele21

Visit site
If you pass where his ball is - unless yours is also possibly lost, why wouldnt you help look?

As mine is likely to be lost too. In my headset I have to march straight to the point where it was last seen alive otherwise if I wonder off in the other direction I will completely forget my balls last known whereabouts.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
As mine is likely to be lost too. In my headset I have to march straight to the point where it was last seen alive otherwise if I wonder off in the other direction I will completely forget my balls last known whereabouts.

It doesnt move though. Knowing the general area should be enough. Pick out a key feature close by and remember it - then go and help your PP.

For the sake of argument - if it wasnt 100 yards but maybe 30 yards apart, I'd hit my ball before helping - but only because that speeds up play a bit!

Bamberdele21

Visit site
If I could just reiterate the fact that I only play like this when I’m with this person and no one else.

If we are a fourball the other 3 of us will at some point during the round will get a little frustrated with lack of pace which would be demonstrated by the body language between ourselves.

Those that know will understand where I’m coming from.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Not going to lie, I’m not the most patient person.

I often have a round with my friend who is generally around 10 shots off me and our style of play are the complete opposite.

Unlike him I rarely have practice swings and he will piss about for a good chunk whilst also changing his mind back and fourth as to which club he’s about to choose.

It’s got to the point that I just end up finishing 50% of holes before him.

For example when he’s winding up for an approach shot 70yrds away I will be on the green about to sink my second putt.

Am I being rude?

Would this annoy you?

All subjective. Golf for me is not a social game. It can be if your always next to each other but most of us can be in different places. it’s important to play your own game on a full field to maintain a good place of play.
Late in the evening, course empty or early morning and nobody behind. Knock yourself out, have a picnic.

So to me your not being rude. It’s good pace of play and I would be happy.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It doesnt move though. Knowing the general area should be enough. Pick out a key feature close by and remember it - then go and help your PP.

For the sake of argument - if it wasnt 100 yards but maybe 30 yards apart, I'd hit my ball before helping - but only because that speeds up play a bit!

I do occasionally have this, I'm much better working on line and walking to it (hence quite like carrying) as perhaps distance perception isn't great. If i go to look for someone elses then I can sometimes find mine harder to find.

I'd go with, if walking past opponents and your ball is rough/expected to be found, then help playing partner out first or just make it clear you'll go put your bag by yours and walk over.
If both in play and other sides of the fairway then just hit when ready, no need to wait for playing partner to play in turn.
If they are hacking in trees then fine to play your shot and walk up to green but I stand by the side to wait to putt until they've played on and walk up.
If they are going from bunker to bunker and you are on the green, then I'd suggest putting to take the pressure of them running around.

Often slow playing partners will be quicker if you are closer to help/keep pace with rather than storming ahead when they go back to their own world and pace of play.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
All subjective. Golf for me is not a social game. It can be if your always next to each other but most of us can be in different places. it’s important to play your own game on a full field to maintain a good place of play.
Late in the evening, course empty or early morning and nobody behind. Knock yourself out, have a picnic.

So to me your not being rude. It’s good pace of play and I would be happy.

I’ve noticed my game seriously diminishes if I’m stood around waiting too long for him as it gives me so much time to think about the shot. If I’m in the rhythm I play a lot better. And for me it’s always about improving / getting my best score.

Call me selfish / rude but I want to improve my game. Been playing 6 months and always want to beat my best round. Waiting for him all the time will seriously hamper my scorecard at the end.

My friend hasn’t complained about my style of play but I’m about to tee off with him in the next hour so it’s a topic I will bring up with him after our round today.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Three hours for a two ball would not be thought of as inordinately slow on most courses though it depends on length, condition and business.
I do find it slightly difficult to reconcile the frustration of sometimes waiting for a friend to finish a shot that may make you a few minutes quicker and the apparent necessity to be sociable by necking beers for two hours after.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
You've putted out while he is still about to play an approach? If he discovers this forum, I can't wait to read,

"My scores are suffering as the wally I play with runs to the green to putt out. This means I have to wait to play till it is safe and it really slows up play. He also drives home after several beers and is a danger"

:ROFLMAO:;)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Extremely rude if you ask me, wouldn’t dream of doing that myself. A similar scenario would be you hitting the green in regulation, your pp is having to chip on so is a minute or 2 behind but you carry on with your putt making them wait. Totally wrong in my opinion and I have to say, I’d be avoiding you on the tee sheet.

It’s occasionally unavoidable, however, where for example, pp has hit into a hazard and is having to mark, drop a ball etc, or perhaps even playing from an adjacent fairway after an errant drive, in that case you might ask to finish off while they’re sorting themselves out and calming down. Other than that it’s a big no from me.

sunshine

Visit site
If he actually can't find his ball it is good manners to help him look for it. It's only 3 minutes out of your day at the most.

Although 3x18 isn't fun.

Played with a guy in the summer who was all over the place and it did disrupt my game by breaking up my concentration and rhythm. He was consistently looking in the wrong place (maybe lack of experience), I must have saved him £20 that day by finding all his errant TP5's.