Golf etiquette (faster play)

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Not going to lie, I’m not the most patient person.

I often have a round with my friend who is generally around 10 shots off me and our style of play are the complete opposite.

Unlike him I rarely have practice swings and he will piss about for a good chunk whilst also changing his mind back and fourth as to which club he’s about to choose.

It’s got to the point that I just end up finishing 50% of holes before him.

For example when he’s winding up for an approach shot 70yrds away I will be on the green about to sink my second putt.

Am I being rude?

Would this annoy you?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not going to lie, I’m not the most patient person.

I often have a round with my friend who is generally around 10 shots off me and our style of play are the complete opposite.

Unlike him I rarely have practice swings and he will piss about for a good chunk whilst also changing his mind back and fourth as to which club he’s about to choose.

It’s got to the point that I just end up finishing 80% of holes before him.

For example when he’s winding up for an approach shot 70yrds away I will be on the green about to sink my second putt.

Am I being rude?

Would this annoy you?

To me, yes. Putting out whilst I am playing an approach shot would very much annoy me and fall into the rude category. if I do not like the pace of play that a playing partner has then I ask oif we can speed up. If he remains slow and that stays the same for a few rounds, I will look for a new playing partner in the same way that, to be perfectly honest, if my playing partner headed off to the green and started putting out before I had even hit my approach shot, I would also be looking for a new playing partner, I would find that far worse than slow play. That ignores the rules relating to playing out of turn etc (am assuming only a friendly knockabout).

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Yes it’s only a friendly sociable thing. I haven’t played any comps yet as don’t have my handicap registered but when I do I wouldn’t think twice about playing like I do with him when I’m around different people. I’ve always thought the person furthest away from the hole would take their shot first?

It might just be because we are at different stages of our game. We basically started golf at the same time and we get on well. He became a member of the club I joined because of me and he doesn’t play there with anyone else unless it’s in our social circle as a group.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
[QUOTE="Bamberdele21, post: 2400515, member: 30493"

Am I being rude?

Would this annoy you?[/QUOTE]

Yes and yes.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I had a very similar friend to you last year, its taken some time but hes slowly sped up.

Never mentioned it to him, just always did my best to stay close to him, help find balls faster and encourage him to just swing at it rather than wasting 5 good practise swings! I think him entering comps was the big step he needed to realise he was slow as hell....

You are being rude standing on the green when hes 70 yards out. Its not your turn to play if he is further from the hole than you.

Highslice

Visit site
3 hours for a two-ball on any course is fine imo. Neimann went round in 2 but that was playing on his own, shooting a 74 or something and literally running ?

Solely judging on that, it doesn’t seem like he is playing particularly slowly, no matter how it might feel on the course. he just has a different rhythm to you.

Some people you play with are gonna be similar in style, routine, ability toy you. Others will differ wildly, youll always end up having to compromise a bit

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure if the OP is starting threads as a wind up?!? First the drinking one and now this, seems to be a trend.

For the OP - Etiquette is a two way thing, you rushing round and being on the green when he is trying to play his shot is you being a d~ck!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Certainly for you to stride onto the green while he's still pitching towards it is rude, and also quite stupid, lest he fly one directly at your head. If he's genuinely slow then have a word, but you can't do what you've described.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Ok we’ve established my golf etiquette needs a bit of work when it comes to social golf.

Another question…

Am I being rude if we have both missed the fairway on our drives and I am 100 yards further than him on the right and he is 100 yards behind me on the left.

Yet I go to look for my ball first before helping him look for his? ?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
When you get your handicap and start playing competitions, then you will have to learn patience and etiquette. Unfortunately from what you have said above, these are two things you really need to work on. You may think a round should only take 3 hours but play a competition on a busy day, and it will considerably longer than that. At the moment you are just playing with friends but when you come to play with other people, you will rapidly find out that what you are doing at the moment will be totally unacceptable. Golf is not a sprint and 3 hours for 18 is pretty rapid. You should learn to relax, enjoy the course, take in the views and chat to your friend around the course. It's more than just getting the ball from the tee into the hole as quickly as possible.