Golf Course Closure.

didsbury_duffer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yep. I can only tell you what I have heard, so cannot vouch for the authenticity. Peover GC was owned by two farmers, and one of them decided that he didn't want to use it for golf purposes. The other farmer then had no option other than to agree to pull out. The Swiss chalet style clubhouse will remain, and will be used for weddings, parties and other such functions.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I read that they were concentrating on the "events" (weddings etc.) side of things and that the course was closing.

I played it last year, it was ok, nothing too memorable though.

The M6 runs right through the middle of it.

gdc

Head Pro
Visit site
Yep. I can only tell you what I have heard, so cannot vouch for the authenticity. Peover GC was owned by two farmers, and one of them decided that he didn't want to use it for golf purposes. The other farmer then had no option other than to agree to pull out. The Swiss chalet style clubhouse will remain, and will be used for weddings, parties and other such functions.

I work with a few ex members of Peover and in addition to the above I heard that the wedding business was sold to one of the farmers sons and then the golf course went bust. A considerable number of people lost their next years subscriptions which were still being taken weeks before the clubs closure. All word of mouth but I've heard the same from several people.

D

Deleted member 1147

I heard a rumour that Shirland Golf Club in Derbyshire (near Alfreton) was closing, but not necessarily from a good source.

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for informing me of the imminent closure of Taunton Vale. I will include an entry on the Golf's Missing Links when it finally closes.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think New Malton near Meldreth, Cambridge is either closed or very close to.

Was pretty good when decently kept, had some interesting holes. Lost its way when it went chemical free.

I used to be able to play there for £5 but I didn't take them up on the offer after the second time round...

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think New Malton near Meldreth, Cambridge is either closed or very close to.

Was pretty good when decently kept, had some interesting holes. Lost its way when it went chemical free.

I used to be able to play there for £5 but I didn't take them up on the offer after the second time round...

Found the club but it's in Hertfordshire, must be the same one.

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Taunton Vale GC closes in 5 weeks.

Played it a year or so back , 17th a par 3 over a lake was the best hole , rest of the course was so so therefor not surprise , played your course too the day before , much better course