Horncastle Golf Club

Bucktaylor64

Medal Winner
Visit site
Does anyone know if this course is reopening? I'm told that it has closed again and it's now included on Golfs Missing Links website.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t think so. A couple of folk were renovating it pre covid, not sure it survived lockdown. Had issues with flooding too, which have only gotten worse in West Ashby over the last few years. I never played it so can’t comment on whether it is a loss or not. If your looking for a nice 9 holer in the area I know it’s not very close but Pottergate is a nice little friendly club. Worth a visit. Woodall aside, the only other only proper golf course east of Lincoln in Seacroft imo. And that is a long way east! But you can get on for a more reasonable sum than Woodall.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
It's been closed for about three years as far as I know. I've heard no rumours that it might reopen. I only visited once and it was a friendly but funny little place. They had 'grass bunkers'; no sand, just longer grass. As my mate and I were on the fifteenth tee, the owner (I think) zoomed up to us in a buggy and asked if he could play the last four holes with us. He was possibly the worst golfer I've ever played with. I have no problem with playing with unskilled players but it just surprised me that someone who owns a golf course wouldn't be a bit better. 😁

Bucktaylor64

Medal Winner
Visit site
I don’t think so. A couple of folk were renovating it pre covid, not sure it survived lockdown. Had issues with flooding too, which have only gotten worse in West Ashby over the last few years. I never played it so can’t comment on whether it is a loss or not. If your looking for a nice 9 holer in the area I know it’s not very close but Pottergate is a nice little friendly club. Worth a visit. Woodall aside, the only other only proper golf course east of Lincoln in Seacroft imo. And that is a long way east! But you can get on for a more reasonable sum than Woodall.
I've played Pottergate a few times. nice little course.

Swango1980

Visit site
It's been closed for about three years as far as I know. I've heard no rumours that it might reopen. I only visited once and it was a friendly but funny little place. They had 'grass bunkers'; no sand, just longer grass. As my mate and I were on the fifteenth tee, the owner (I think) zoomed up to us in a buggy and asked if he could play the last four holes with us. He was possibly the worst golfer I've ever played with. I have no problem with playing with unskilled players but it just surprised me that someone who owns a golf course wouldn't be a bit better. 😁
Was his name something like Saj? I organised a few friendly matches in 2015 against Horncastle for the Seconds Team, and he played. I remember people saying he was the owner or owners son. Seemed a really nice guy, very enthusiastic but not the most skilled golfer in the world

Swango1980

Visit site
Market Rasen, Kenwick Park, Laceby Manor, Grimsby and Waltham Windmill are all excellent courses in my opinion

Swango1980

Visit site
Does anyone know if this course is reopening? I'm told that it has closed again and it's now included on Golfs Missing Links website.
Myself and 3 mates turned up there once as we had a tee time deal, something like £10 for a fourball. Yet, when we turned up it was Captains Day, which they never told us about, shotgun start. No tee times, but as it was a scramble they said we could join in for the £10 we paid, have the food they were serving afterwards and have a free round after.

Well, we won the scramble by quite some margin. Picked up our prizes whilst eating the hog roast on offer and then went out for another round. When we got back, there were still a few inebriated members remaining, giving us a bit of stick for our morning victory :)

It was an interesting course. Smallest greens in the world, and I once had a daisy growing in my line of putt. Tight course overall, short and grass bunkers everywhere, no sand. I did enjoy playing there, in small doses, as it was a very different challenge to what you'd normally get.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They were in our B team league for a couple of years, you're right about the size of the greens, they were always rock solid, so no chance of holding them, a couple of blind tee shots as well, was never my favourite away match.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit mean to Louth, Blankney and Kenwick Park!

Market Rasen, Kenwick Park, Laceby Manor, Grimsby and Waltham Windmill are all excellent courses in my opinion

Fair enough, I’ve played most of those and the ones I have, I don’t put in the same league as Woodall and Seacroft but appreciate its subjective. Maybe saying “proper golf courses” was too vague/a tad harsh. Not saying the likes of Blankney or Market Rasen aren’t reasonable courses (and a big level up from horncastle by the sounds of it), I could just easily go the rest of my days never playing there again and be as happy. Each to their own!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Myself and 3 mates turned up there once as we had a tee time deal, something like £10 for a fourball. Yet, when we turned up it was Captains Day, which they never told us about, shotgun start. No tee times, but as it was a scramble they said we could join in for the £10 we paid, have the food they were serving afterwards and have a free round after.

Well, we won the scramble by quite some margin. Picked up our prizes whilst eating the hog roast on offer and then went out for another round. When we got back, there were still a few inebriated members remaining, giving us a bit of stick for our morning victory :)

It was an interesting course. Smallest greens in the world, and I once had a daisy growing in my line of putt. Tight course overall, short and grass bunkers everywhere, no sand. I did enjoy playing there, in small doses, as it was a very different challenge to what you'd normally get.
So can you just pick the daisy, or would you be penalised for interfering with the line?