Golf Club Advice

Flynn_368

Visit site
Chasing distance can come with some problems...
Lower lofts can mean less spin ( which provides a lot of the increased distance) which can limit your capacity to hold greens unless you're able to launch high.
I find a struggle to keep the ball down. I have quite a high launch with all the way down to a 4 iron. interesting to find out that's just due to the fact my clubs are higher lofted.

Flynn_368

Visit site
Yep, then you might need a PW and three more wedges.
This is the progress they have made with golf clubs to give the consumer so much more choice.

Instead of 1,3,4,5 woods and 3-SW irons, you now have,

Driver and 3-wood.
Set of hybrids (2 or 3 of these)
A set of irons 4-PW or 5-PW
A set of wedges.

Gives you plenty to think about and, most importantly, plenty of diversification of product to spend plenty of money on.
Great isn't it?

Definitely, sure bit of excitement buying new clubs. Also good excuse for any bad shots in the near future. Thanks.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
aren't most mizunos irons blades? not sure if the workability is worth losing just more consistency not sure i am at the level yet to go for blades
Nope. The MP20 HMBs look a little like blades, but have a good bit of forgiveness. I've got a set and love them. Last year's captain has a set, and he plays off 3. He's easily good enough for blades and likes the look of a more traditional iron, but said he wanted all the help he could get!
As the Mizuno Pro 225s have replaced the HMBs, you might find an affordable set of the latter.

Flynn_368

Visit site
Nope. The MP20 HMBs look a little like blades, but have a good bit of forgiveness. I've got a set and love them. Last year's captain has a set, and he plays off 3. He's easily good enough for blades and likes the look of a more traditional iron, but said he wanted all the help he could get!
As the Mizuno Pro 225s have replaced the HMBs, you might find an affordable set of the latter.
thanks, can i ask what sort of ball speed and yardages are you getting from those irons?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
thanks, can i ask what sort of ball speed and yardages are you getting from those irons?
That’s the wrong question really as it would need to be baselined against my old clubs and my version of JPXs are 6 years old now. it also all depends on my swing speed ability. What I will say is that my strike is much more consistent With them so it’s worth going to a fitter who stocks them.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with any irons from major manufacturers. The key is to find something you like the look of behind the ball that suits your ability, then get a shaft that is suitable.

I don’t like much offset and prefer the look of a muscle back, bud very much do need some forgiveness. So I play Ping i525 with retro lofts.

Feel is mostly sound (and marketing). If you use a decent ball, most irons feel nice. They just sound different. That bothers some people. Personally, I couldn’t care less what it sounds like if the performance is there.

Modern irons have stronger lofts than older irons. But will still fly as high.
Ping will do you any of their irons with retro loft. Don’t get hung up too much on the number on the bottom of the iron. You have 14 clubs in your bag, all that matters is that you have a set that is nicely gapped.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Do you have anywhere locally where you could try a few different makes of, say, 7 irons? And don't forget there are hybrids now. Also, although I found I liked Callaway irons, I couldn't get on with the Callaway drivers. Then perhaps go for a fitting with some ideas in mind.

Flynn_368

Visit site
Do you have anywhere locally where you could try a few different makes of, say, 7 irons? And don't forget there are hybrids now. Also, although I found I liked Callaway irons, I couldn't get on with the Callaway drivers. Then perhaps go for a fitting with some ideas in mind.

Yea I feel like the fitting is gonna be more important than anything else really. I have a club fitting booked. So, ill see what i end up with.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
if you aren't on a strict budget I would really recommend going to a club builder (not fitter)

I'm sure there are more but found one in Ireland -

You will get a much wider range of heads, shafts, grips etc and they can be build exactly to your need rather than tinkering at the edges.

I went to one in Daventry, as did by wife and we ended up with fairly unknown brands, Grindworks and Wishon, but these were the ones that came out best considerably when we did our fitting process

Flynn_368

Visit site
if you aren't on a strict budget I would really recommend going to a club builder (not fitter)

I'm sure there are more but found one in Ireland -

You will get a much wider range of heads, shafts, grips etc and they can be build exactly to your need rather than tinkering at the edges.

I went to one in Daventry, as did by wife and we ended up with fairly unknown brands, Grindworks and Wishon, but these were the ones that came out best considerably when we did our fitting process

what sort of price would a full set of built clubs be. Just out of interest.

Visit site
I'd suggest that you address irons last! Mine are nearly 25 years old and still perform better than I do. Any increase in iron distance has been achieved mainly by lowering lofts, turning 7 irons into short 5 irons! Similar applies to wedges and putter, provided they work Ok for you.

I'd suggest that the priority should be Driver first, followed by an adjustable Hybrid (previously known as Rescue) An adjustable Fairway wood that you can hit solidly ranks about the same as hybrid, but probably won't be used as often and can be less reliable. Putters are very personal, so, unless you are having major issues with yours, keep it but try out other types in pro shops or American Golf stores as often as you can. Wedges, then Irons would complete the upgrade.

There are plenty of companies that supply 2nd hand clubs and Ebay is another source - if you know what you are after. There is actually little difference in Driver performance in the last few years, the major difference year on year being adjustability and weight distribution, so 3+ year old ones work as well as latest model ones and are much more cost effective! Difficult to go wrong with Ping kit, though I've never been a huge fan - except for the G15 Driver that had a shaft that was perfect for me.

Good luck and enjoy the search!