Starting Again - Iron Options

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have not swung a club in about 3 years now but it is time to start again. Trouble is, that means replacing some old, worn out and now slightly rusty irons that have been in the shed for that whole period.

I am pretty much out of touch about what is worth sticking in the bag for the next year whilst I, firstly, get some semblance of a swing back and, secondly, make sure that I am back playing for the foreseeable future. I want some irons that are not expensive, hapopy to go older model or second hand as not looking to spend much more than about £300.00 on the set but am not sure where to start these days.

Any suggestions.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m finding that titleist and srixon irons are offering great second hand value at the moment. They’re perhaps not as well known/popular as Taylormade and ping, but are just as good if not better. Models to suit all abilities.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Callaway have been the best irons for me. You could always have a look on here: https://eu.callawaygolfpreowned.com/gb/en-gb/CLUBS/IRONS/c/PO_IRONS

Or there's Golfbidder of course. Input your required flex and price range and see what it throws up. They have a 'handicap' rating which essentially tells you how easy to hit the clubs are.

Currently trawling through golfclubs4cash web site. They tend to not inflate their prices as much as golf bidder. from what I can see.

D

Deleted member 31467

Cobra. Great irons and you can pick them up for much less bigger brands of similar quality.

RichA

Visit site
Currently trawling through golfclubs4cash web site. They tend to not inflate their prices as much as golf bidder. from what I can see.
I've used GC4C several times. Loads of choice, about the same price as winning an eBay auction and they usually arrive within a day or 2 with a 30-day return option.
Loads of 10ish year old sets of irons under £200.
I got my slightly older Mizuno MP-60 irons there for £135 a year ago. Love them.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A good place to start and they have a 30 day return policy if you don't get on with your purchase.
Just having a browse..Callaway Apex CF16 for under 300
Callaway XR, Steelhead XR too
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal
Srixon 565
Ping G25/30
Titleist 716 AP1
All in your wheelhouse.
Seem to recall you were low/mid teens handicap?
Obviously not there right now but you know how to play and these have enough forgiveness but you won't feel you need to change when you do drop....
Good hunting

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've used GC4C several times. Loads of choice, about the same price as winning an eBay auction and they usually arrive within a day or 2 with a 30-day return option.
Loads of 10ish year old sets of irons under £200.
I got my slightly older Mizuno MP-60 irons there for £135 a year ago. Love them.
They might also take your old stuff as trade-in for a bit of money off, provided it hasn't completely disintegrated.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
A good place to start and they have a 30 day return policy if you don't get on with your purchase.
Just having a browse..Callaway Apex CF16 for under 300
Callaway XR, Steelhead XR too
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal
Srixon 565
Ping G25/30
Titleist 716 AP1
All in your wheelhouse.
Seem to recall you were low/mid teens handicap?
Obviously not there right now but you know how to play and these have enough forgiveness but you won't feel you need to change when you do drop....
Good hunting

Yeah I was as low as 12 but was drifting back up as I lost interest. Another reason to look for something a bit more shovel like to get me back on the right path then go from there.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thank you all. As is traditional on this forum, I have asked everybody for advice and then totally ignored it.

I have found a cheap set of Orka Reflex irons on ebay and as I have used Orka before, thought I would give them a go. Plus, if I like them, I can get Alex to fit them for me or build a set later on. Not sure what it is on but I got an Ebay code, SUMMERTIME10, and got 10% off.

Looks like, after 3 years, I am heading to a driving range at the weekend.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Love my mizuno JPX irons but you’ll probably hear this from all of us on our irons or we wouldn’t have them.

Splash the cash option is to get fitted by someone who does multiple brands. Otherwise go to a shop like American golf where you can try loads of brands.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thank you all. As is traditional on this forum, I have asked everybody for advice and then totally ignored it.

I have found a cheap set of Orka Reflex irons on ebay and as I have used Orka before, thought I would give them a go. Plus, if I like them, I can get Alex to fit them for me or build a set later on. Not sure what it is on but I got an Ebay code, SUMMERTIME10, and got 10% off.

Looks like, after 3 years, I am heading to a driving range at the weekend.

Might be coincidence but saw a tweet earlier about someone buying some used Orka irons and tagging Alex.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's interesting that you can buy second hand Orkas and they'll still customise and check them for you. I could've got Orka irons myself but I was hitting shanks on the fitting day so I never went back out of embarrassment. :LOL:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's interesting that you can buy second hand Orkas and they'll still customise and check them for you. I could've got Orka irons myself but I was hitting shanks on the fitting day so I never went back out of embarrassment. :LOL:

I am hoping they will. I have known Alex for years and so I am sure that he can use the heads to build a set etc as necessary if they are the best fit for me.