Golf Club Advice

Flynn_368

Visit site
Hi there,

I am an avid golfer and have played for years. However, I am still using the same clubs (old set of my dads) that are roughly 26 years old. I now want to buy my own set.

I currently play with
Titleist Dtr Oversize Irons
I believe Nike Vr tour driver
titleist dci oversize plus wedges
odyssey blade putter

I play off roughly about 18 thats more to do with putting and chipping than anything. If anyone has any suggestions or would recommend a club fitting.

Thanks.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Can never go wrong with a recent set of Pings - used or new.

Id start with the Irons and then address other areas!

Flynn_368

Visit site
If youve got the money then Id go for anything from G410 to the newer G425 and G430

But if you're buying Pings then get fitted first!

In general tbh - get a fitting first!

thanks, I heard good things about the g430 drivers. The thing that keeps me away from ping irons is they are usually more forgiving, whereas as I would like to look more for distance as I tend to hit my irons alright

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
thanks any sets you would suggest in particular
Look at the G range and stop when you hit your budget limit. I have G25's but they have since gone G30, G400, G410, G425. The 400's up look sexier but there is nothing wrong with either the G25 or G30.

You will often get recommendations on here for Pings for mid to high h/c golfers. They are reliable, forgiving, hold their value well when it comes to sell them on. I don't think the recommendations are blind fan boy ones, they just make sense in these circumstances.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
thanks, I heard good things about the g430 drivers. The thing that keeps me away from ping irons is they are usually more forgiving, whereas as I would like to look more for distance as I tend to hit my irons alright

Absolutely nothing wrong with the distance the newer irons give. Just because they talk about forgiveness doesn't mean they're only that.

Flynn_368

Visit site
Look at the G range and stop when you hit your budget limit. I have G25's but they have since gone G30, G400, G410, G425. The 400's up look sexier but there is nothing wrong with either the G25 or G30.

You will often get recommendations on here for Pings for mid to high h/c golfers. They are reliable, forgiving, hold their value well when it comes to sell them on. I don't think the recommendations are blind fan boy ones, they just make sense in these circumstances.

ok thanks. they definitely seem to be a good option that i will 100% look into. I think i should definitely go for a fitting considering the dtr are an inch shorter in shaft length and have probably focused my swing to hit clubs that probably dont fit right

Flynn_368

Visit site
Absolutely nothing wrong with the distance the newer irons give. Just because they talk about forgiveness doesn't mean they're only that.

oh thanks, I always thought there was a much large difference in distance compared to less forgiving irons. thanks.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site

If you are on a budget then there is nothing wrong with the Ping G400, it's a coupe of years older and very little difference IMHO and will be a little cheaper.

Flynn_368

Visit site
If you are on a budget then there is nothing wrong with the Ping G400, it's a coupe of years older and very little difference IMHO and will be a little cheaper.
yeah i amnt too worried about spending more as long as it is worth it. my mindset is get a good set which will last a few years where i can change clubs as I choose if i want to in the future.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
One thing to bear in mind is that your 26-year-old Titleist 3-iron is likely to be about 22° and that is now a 4-iron.
Similarly, your pitching wedge is likely to be about 47° or 48° and that is now a Gap Wedge as a modern pitching wedge is 43° just like your 9-iron.

So you have to buy 4-PW and two more wedges to have what was 3-SW.

It is so much better now - or so I've been told.

Flynn_368

Visit site
One thing to bear in mind is that your 26-year-old Titleist 3-iron is likely to be about 22° and that is now a 4-iron.
Similarly, your pitching wedge is likely to be about 47° or 48° and that is now a Gap Wedge as a modern pitching wedge is 43° just like your 9-iron.

never even knew about that. So like my 4 iron would be like a 5 iron now ish. ok thanks ill definitely keep that in mind.

Flynn_368

Visit site

i just googled the specifications. That's crazy my 4 iron has a 25 degree loft a little less than a ping g430 6 iron which i have been suggested.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Chasing distance can come with some problems...
Lower lofts can mean less spin ( which provides a lot of the increased distance) which can limit your capacity to hold greens unless you're able to launch high.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
i just googled the specifications. That's crazy my 4 iron has a 25 degree loft a little less than a ping g430 6 iron which i have been suggested.
Yep, then you might need a PW and three more wedges.
This is the progress they have made with golf clubs to give the consumer so much more choice.

Instead of 1,3,4,5 woods and 3-SW irons, you now have,

Driver and 3-wood.
Set of hybrids (2 or 3 of these)
A set of irons 4-PW or 5-PW
A set of wedges.

Gives you plenty to think about and, most importantly, plenty of diversification of product to spend plenty of money on.
Great isn't it?

Flynn_368

Visit site
Love my mizuno irons but I’d go for a fitting with an open mind to brands within you price limit.
aren't most mizunos irons blades? not sure if the workability is worth losing just more consistency not sure i am at the level yet to go for blades