Golf Clothing (Loyalty to brands for value for money)

Dpabla

Visit site
Hi Everyone

First Post on the forum. But I had a question I needed golfers to answer! Im thinking of starting my own golf clothing brand. Im fairly new to the sport and the prices for clothing are rather high!

I was thinking. If I was able to match the quality of the most expensive brands, but for a fraction of the cost, would that be a hit with the established golfer & Newby. Or do people generally stay loyal to the big names ?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
quality and price come before branding for me, but certain brands have a reputation for quality that is second to none and they tend to be priced at a premium, Galvin Green for example.

Plenty of good quality cheaper options available , under armour, Adidas etc and plenty of other companies trying to break into the market

They have the economies of scale Already

Intrigued how you think you can produce and market high quality low cost items without using slave labourers

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d be happy to break away from the usual brands if the quality was good, but the price would have to be worth the initial risk!

Sizing is a big thing, there are some brands I know fit well, others not so well.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m not loyal but I do prefer certain brands.

Underarmour make extremely good clothing such as trousers, shorts and polos etc. Far superior in quality to their peers such as adidas for example

J Lindberg make the highest quality polos imo. Far far superior in materials and feel to Galvin green imo.

Galvin green make fantastic goretex gear. As for the rest of their range I personally find it lesser quality than the price tag suggests.

Ecco make the best shoes in terms of quality of construction and materials used however I’d concede that some of their gear looks a bit mental.

Recently I’ve bought a lot of RLX gear. Padded jacket, two gilets and a polo shirt. Been extremely impressed with quality, style and most importantly fit.

Horses for courses though.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Absolutely nee reason for people to be kitted out in rank Slazenger gear from Mike Ashley’s place now with the likes of county golf etc

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
See its a personal thing, even with quality
I wouldn't touch Calvin Green if it was free, utterly mince, from my experience
Worst shirt I've ever worn

I usually pay 35-40 quid for a top so I want something that will last, lightweight and a 'proper' fit is very important over the brand

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Generally cheap and chearful for me. I would sooner have a 10 cheap shirts than one expensive one. I always smile inwardly at the guys who wear the same golf shirt every time they play because it is only one they can afford.

I do not have the phobia about Sports Direct that some seem to suffer from.

I do believe in buying really good quality waterproofs. There is no point in buying poor quality and getting wet.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have bought most of my golf clothing from County Golf. I’m not particularly brand loyal, but I do want value for money. I have around 20 polo shirts for example and the most I have paid is £12.99 and they include Ashworth, Callaway, Glenmuir, Greg Norman, Aur, Sunderland and Proquip. Personally, I can’t entertain paying £40+ for a polo, but accept that many are prepared to.

D

Deleted member 15344

I mainly wear Footjoy clothing , find the fit nice and colour choice good.

Trousers and shorts Under Armour

Have recently purchased a number of Peter Miller tops - really nice

At the end of the day though there many different brands that can be purchased from the cheap and cheerful to the stupidly expensive stuff.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’m not overly fussed who makes my stuff as long as i feel comfy in it.
My more expensive tops gets worn when I’m not playing golf.
I can’t justify paying some of the prices for the polos and jumpers etc when I’m not a regular golfer

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Just bought a cheap bodywarmer cutter and buck from County Golf a little thin but nice looking and very well made. LOGO is small so doesn't stand out, not as good as the under armour it replaced but then it's 3 times cheaper than that model. I'm guessing UA have a decent mark up to pay for Speith and co using there merch

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I'd think it a tough market to get into, I have a mixture of stuff that I wear for Golf, some of it golf specific, some just trousers that have been relegated from decent enough for work anymore ??
I do like UA and Ping stuff. Also going to treat myself to a Hatton Hoodie.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Hi Everyone

First Post on the forum. But I had a question I needed golfers to answer! Im thinking of starting my own golf clothing brand. Im fairly new to the sport and the prices for clothing are rather high!

I was thinking. If I was able to match the quality of the most expensive brands, but for a fraction of the cost, would that be a hit with the established golfer & Newby. Or do people generally stay loyal to the big names ?

If there was an affordable retro brand I’d be all over it