golf balls

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
For a 23 handicap, I can't see that changeing to a premium ball over a mid range ball will make any difference.

If you play with Donnays, then any change is good, but you won't really get the benefit of a top ball until your handicap drops.

The added control around the greens will be offset by the loss of control on longer hits, as the ball will spin more sideways as well as backspin.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I treated myself to a dozen Pro V1x's and have been using them over the past 4-5 rounds. I was using Srixon AD333's.

I thought I'd wait until I was loosing less than a ball a round. :rolleyes:

tbh, I don't notice them going off track much more than the AD333's on wayward drives, approach shot's etc. Probably a little bit, but not much.

Driving distance seems about the same, maybee a little longer with the V1x's. But with only a few rounds it's hard to tell.

Where I do notice the difference is around and on the green. I seem to have much better control of the ball and can usually pitch and stop it much closer to the pin.

Where the Srixon's would usually pitch and run off the green on longer approaches the V1x's are pitching, pulling up and stopping.

Also I seem to putt much better with them as well. They just seem to come off the putter face much better.

Are they worth double what I pay for the AD333's for me ? Probably not really, but there is a noticeable improvement in my short game.

I've still got 9 left after about 4 rounds, so cost wise, if I'm not loosing lots of balls it's not so bad.

I'll see how I feel after I've done the dozen.

I'll probably loose the rest this weekend now :mad:

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
Murph, I have to disagree, I am 27 still (although realistically should be 21 or so) and I can certainly benefit from a premium ball.

The only thing that comes close is the Wilson Staff DX2 Soft but as a whole, I know that with a ProV1, I would score better than with a warbird or some other pony.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
jon, there's a hell of a stretch between a Warbird and a ProV, not so much between the ProV and an AD333, perhaps even less to a DX2.

The other issue of course is swing speed, some demand a fast swing, so if (unlike you) you don't have one . . .

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Any ball which accepts more back spin, is going to accept more side spin too, hence higher handicappers (who generally slice) should stick to a firmer ball, that is designed with them in mind. The Prov1x, as a lower spinning ball might be ok though.
The standard ProV1 though, should in general be avoided by higher h/caps, as it will make bad shots worse, and accentuate the problems. This is unecessary, when better balls are available at this level. This is why so many different balls are made. If the ProV suited everyone, then there would be no market for other balls. It isn't, there are.

Jon, what works for you will not always be the best advise for others, as each golfer is different. Your game in particular is very different from the average high handicapper, in part because my view of your handicap is it is more course management related rather than swing related at the moment.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I am a 23 hcp'er. I use the Z-Stars at the moment as the spin is better than the Z-URS's for the short game, the problem is they are no where near as long as the Z-urs's and driver spin is an issue, that is the same issue with the Pro V1, the driver spin is high and high hcp'ers need something in between. The AD333 or the likes (DX2, NTX Tour) are good balls and will give you midrange balls, medium driver spin and medium feel, they are the best to learn with, the Z-Star are quick close but have softer putting feel and you need a fast driver swing to activate the core and get the distance, but have greater spin control to the two piece.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Possibly the biggest difference ever made to my game was whilst I was playing with a low H/C'er, whilst I was off 20ish.
He watched me hit fairways, and then also watched my 2nd shots ht the greens, and then bounce and invariably roll off/thru

So he asked me what type of ball I was using, and I didnt have a clue.
So he explained that if I was hitting greeens like I was, I needed a softer 'wound' ball, with more spin, and more feel.
I rummaged thru the selection in my bag, picked one out that he said was just the job, and have never used a hard 2 piece ever again.

The difference is huge, and to me, if you have genuine aspirations to get your handicap down, you should use the better balls. ProV1 for me.

*simples*

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have to add that no matter what your handicap is, it shouldn't dictate what kind of ball you use.

Only your style of play should.

I play off 19, so technically I guess I am a high handicapper. I wouldn't ever get on with a harder ball, I dont slice the ball so I wouldn't add any side spin, if I did, it would be minimal and the amount of greens I hit and hold to contribute to the good scores, would well out weigh the 1/50 slice.

I think when considering what ball you want to play you should have a criteria of questions to answer.

A) Do I intend to hit greens and hold? NO
B) Do I play short to run into greens? Yes

In this case you would expct a harder, less spinning ball to be the ideal candidate.

But there are many other questions you could ask.

A) How fast is my swing and can I compress x type ball?
B) Do I slice?
C) Do I strike ball well enough to get it spinning and justify the cost?
D) Would I be happy paying for premium balls if I lose too many too quickly?
E) Do I want a hard or soft feel ball around or on the green?

I guess what I am getting at is once you have selected a ball based on what you want, I.E a soft ball then if you dont hit greens and play short to run on, you would have to adapt how you approach to match the benefits that type of ball offers.

Faldo_Fan

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm with the PRO V1 brigade. I have used the V1 for about 3 years now with periodic testing of other balls in between and i've found nothing close.
Somebody made the point about higher spin rate balls being harder to control (side spin) from long clubs, but as each reincarnation of a model of ball is bought out this is reduced. Pro's all complain that it's harder to work a modern ball compared to a Balata ball from years gone by. But the upside is increased distance hence all the bombers doing well on the various tours.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have to add that no matter what your handicap is, it shouldn't dictate what kind of ball you use.

Only your style of play should.

I play off 19, so technically I guess I am a high handicapper. I wouldn't ever get on with a harder ball, I dont slice the ball so I wouldn't add any side spin, if I did, it would be minimal and the amount of greens I hit and hold to contribute to the good scores, would well out weigh the 1/50 slice.

I think when considering what ball you want to play you should have a criteria of questions to answer.

A) Do I intend to hit greens and hold? NO
B) Do I play short to run into greens? Yes

In this case you would expct a harder, less spinning ball to be the ideal candidate.

But there are many other questions you could ask.

A) How fast is my swing and can I compress x type ball?
B) Do I slice?
C) Do I strike ball well enough to get it spinning and justify the cost?
D) Would I be happy paying for premium balls if I lose too many too quickly?
E) Do I want a hard or soft feel ball around or on the green?

I guess what I am getting at is once you have selected a ball based on what you want, I.E a soft ball then if you dont hit greens and play short to run on, you would have to adapt how you approach to match the benefits that type of ball offers.

Tony, great post. This is pretty much the thought process I went through when deciding to 'try' the Pro V1x's.

I think harder balls can be ok during the winter, when the greens are softer and will hold the ball. Now they have firmed up a bit I just found the my AD333's would run on to much.

Raises an interesting side question. Do any of you guys use differnet balls depending on conditions ?

i.e. if it's windy and you want to play more lower run in shots, swap to a harder ball etc ?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like proV1's I really do, they are great balls but I prefere the new Z-Star and that is my ball of choice at the time. If I wanted a harder ball in winter though for more run, I wouldn't change to the Z-StarX (a harder equivilent) because it would be a waste of money. I dont have the swing speed hard enough to spin the X so I would be better using a harder 2 piece ball like the 333 and saving the cash. I would have to adapt my shots/shooting to suit the behaviour of the ball (not that I am very good at it) :D

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There seems to be a lot of people raving about the Z-Stars at the moment.

I might give a dozen ago when I'm done with this batch of V1x's.

The V1x's are the first premium ball I've tried and as I said I like them so far. But have nothing to compare them to apart from the AD333's (Or the Warbirds before that ) I was using.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
TBH I find that I will usually play better with a PRO V1. OK the spin aspect pitching into the green helps but I think that the real reason is that they cost so darned much that being a tight old git I hate to lose them so concentrate on my game more :)