GM's 5 Ways Golf Etiquette Needs to Modernise

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
1 Slavishly following the honour – Ready golf is undoubtedly the way forward and the first person to the tee should play away when they are ready. Keep it moving. Fine apart from matchplay.

2 Old-school dress codes – Although golfers should always dress respectfully, prescriptive codes on what to wear should be a thing of the past. Not bothered either way.

3 Spikeless shoes in the clubhouse – Many clubs still say no golf shoes in the clubhouse, but spikeless shoes do no more damage than the average street shoe. Some chemicals used out on the course might stain carpets or be mildly corrosive.

4 Drinks all round for a hole-in-one – Surely this should change? You should be rewarded rather than punished for one of golf’s greatest achievements. Not bothered either way. Got my only hole in one at a club open. The club sells a bottle of whisky at trade for these occurrences.

5 Standing on the line of a putt – In the days of tungsten-tipped spikes, this was important, but on firm greens with soft spikes after 100 people have already trodden there? Come off it… Is it that hard to stay off the line? If someone wants to putt out, and I feel the greens are firm enough, I'll tell them to crack on but I believe the choice should be down to whoever's line it is.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just saw this was posted today, thought it was worth a Friday afternoon discussion: https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/feat...oEdVYqdSr8YP1gOUhJPaeTumRAa4lHAOWVbZsNrW7hSqc

I'll copy the points over as well:
1 Slavishly following the honour – Ready golf is undoubtedly the way forward and the first person to the tee should play away when they are ready. Keep it moving.

2 Old-school dress codes – Although golfers should always dress respectfully, prescriptive codes on what to wear should be a thing of the past.

3 Spikeless shoes in the clubhouse – Many clubs still say no golf shoes in the clubhouse, but spikeless shoes do no more damage than the average street shoe.

4 Drinks all round for a hole-in-one – Surely this should change? You should be rewarded rather than punished for one of golf’s greatest achievements.

5 Standing on the line of a putt – In the days of tungsten-tipped spikes, this was important, but on firm greens with soft spikes after 100 people have already trodden there? Come off it…

Quite interesting for them to post this I think. I agree with all 5 points, but I know for a fact some of you lot won't. :D Which ones do you agree/disagree with?
1 agree we have bn doing it for years

2 up to individual clubs for me . U can always choose not to play the ones u dont agree with. .. with prices now u can but trousers and polo for very little . Loadsa choices to suit and please most ppl

3 provided they to a cleanliness standard acceptable . After playing in rain or mud b preferable to change for sake of flooring of club

4 buying drinks for ppl after you have a hole in one is fallback to the toffs only golf times . Outdated and silly now

5 stay off peoples line its courtsey