GM's 5 Ways Golf Etiquette Needs to Modernise

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just saw this was posted today, thought it was worth a Friday afternoon discussion: https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/feat...oEdVYqdSr8YP1gOUhJPaeTumRAa4lHAOWVbZsNrW7hSqc

I'll copy the points over as well:
1 Slavishly following the honour – Ready golf is undoubtedly the way forward and the first person to the tee should play away when they are ready. Keep it moving.

2 Old-school dress codes – Although golfers should always dress respectfully, prescriptive codes on what to wear should be a thing of the past.

3 Spikeless shoes in the clubhouse – Many clubs still say no golf shoes in the clubhouse, but spikeless shoes do no more damage than the average street shoe.

4 Drinks all round for a hole-in-one – Surely this should change? You should be rewarded rather than punished for one of golf’s greatest achievements.

5 Standing on the line of a putt – In the days of tungsten-tipped spikes, this was important, but on firm greens with soft spikes after 100 people have already trodden there? Come off it…

Quite interesting for them to post this I think. I agree with all 5 points, but I know for a fact some of you lot won't. :D Which ones do you agree/disagree with?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1 for sure
2 no comment!
3 fine until wet/muddy/spraying chemicals on course etc, should have to change shoes for me still
4 meh always bought them on mine happy to do so next time too
5 great on good greens, not so great on wet/soft greens, again stay as is for me

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Just saw this was posted today, thought it was worth a Friday afternoon discussion: https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/feat...oEdVYqdSr8YP1gOUhJPaeTumRAa4lHAOWVbZsNrW7hSqc

5 Standing on the line of a putt – In the days of tungsten-tipped spikes, this was important, but on firm greens with soft spikes after 100 people have already trodden there? Come off it…

Quite interesting for them to post this I think. I agree with all 5 points, but I know for a fact some of you lot won't. :D Which ones do you agree/disagree with?

Tell you what, put me down to play with a GM staffer at H4H; I'll walk all over their line on every hole and we'll see how long it takes for the first complaint. :rolleyes:

We could run a sweep on it for the charity (y)

Ridiculous suggestion.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just feel that common sense needs to be applied with slavish devotion to these conventions being equally bad as blatant disregard. We are all adults, act with common sense, decorum and respect for others and the surroundings and everything should be fine. If you are ready, quick check if anyone minds then tee off, just because a dress code is not specified does not mean an automatic change to ripped jeans and t shirts covered in swear words, if you want to and can afford a round, buy everyone a drink, if not, do not feel bad about it etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
5 great on good greens, not so great on wet/soft greens, again stay as is for me
Good point that. He should have specified summer only I reckon. In wet conditions a foot print can cause an indent that lasts several seconds.

I think if he just means when it's bone dry in summer and someone accidentally steps on your line, there's no need to get worked up about it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1 always thought if you just get straight on the tee the others are faffing about still walking etc so not much quiet.
But in principle yes agree.

2 yes agree

3 some people don’t clean shoes when they leave the course, the clubhouse will smell like an old barn after a while.
So clean shoes for me.

4 if it’s not broken don’t change it. Maybe clubs should have a slush fund for this on your fees. Not sure.

5 most clubs have their slim members but I have played with some very big lads and they leave footprints like you see in Jurassic Park so it’s a NO for me.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

I'll copy the points over as well:
1 Slavishly following the honour – Ready golf is undoubtedly the way forward and the first person to the tee should play away when they are ready. Keep it moving.

Stroke play, ready golf I'm fine with. Match play or a medal play off, follow the honour every time, it's part of the game.

2 Old-school dress codes – Although golfers should always dress respectfully, prescriptive codes on what to wear should be a thing of the past.

Member's clubs are run for members, it's not for anyone else to decide outside of the membership.

3 Spikeless shoes in the clubhouse – Many clubs still say no golf shoes in the clubhouse, but spikeless shoes do no more damage than the average street shoe.

Provided they are clean, no issue with that.

4 Drinks all round for a hole-in-one – Surely this should change? You should be rewarded rather than punished for one of golf’s greatest achievements.

One drinks bill I'd be happy to pay.

As before, no. I can leave a mark in certain spikeless shoes even when it is perfectly dry; whether or not it affects the putt is irrelevant, if it can be seen and thus put someone off its wrong.

D

Deleted member 25172

1 Slavishly following the honour – Get on with it! (except for match play/play off)

2 Old-school dress codes – Agree it sometimes do get silly, but up to the individual club.

3 Spikeless shoes in the clubhouse – if they're clean I don't see the issue if you want to pop straight to the bar after your round (or in between rounds)

4 Drinks all round for a hole-in-one – Golf is expensive as is. If you can afford it - fine, but should NEVER be expected imo. I'd happily buy a mate a drink if he had been lucky enough to get a hole-in-one.

5 Standing on the line of a putt – Standing purposely in the line of someone else's putt seem an odd thing to do, but yes, if the green is baked and hard and someone accidentally steps on it - lighten up. (I had a guy who went mental on me a few weeks ago when I accidentally stood on his putting line as I didn't see his marker which was about half the size of my pinky nail, and on top of that the marker was dark blue, which didn't exactly made it stand out).

My 5 cents.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I fully agree with Ready Golf.

Dress codes - it far to easy to abolish all dress codes. It very easy to see how far this slips when we abolished all dress codes in the club house. How are you going to feel about playing next to the guy who has turned up from the machine shop dressed in oil soaked 'rags' stinking from a day at the 'office'?

Spikeless shoes still get covered in cut grass, get grass stains on the bottom and still get mud sticking to them. Do you still wear them at home on your nice lounge carpets?

Drinks all round really is a thing of the past unless it is adopted on a reasonable basis, e.g. as done at our club stand a bottle on the bar and replace it with the same bought by yourself.

Standing on the line of the putt is a total no no for me. Far too easy to cause a slight indent or raised bit of grass which could divert a ball. Allowing people to stand on the line will slow down play as it may well cause a player to stop play and 'repair' any damage that has been done.

D

Deleted member 21258

1. Honour -plop to that, get up there and hit the ball if you are the ready one
2. Code - I like wearing Shorts, black shoes and white socks after playing golf in summer to go in the clubhouse, I think I looks cool ;)
3. Spikeless - provided drier months don't see a problem
4. Hole in 1 - Think this needs to be kicked into the past
5. Line of putt - unless rock hard, would never do on purpose. But tend to not care in family social games and not really noticed much difference from it tbh (even when in the evening you an see the shoe stud marks after you have walked on the green)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
1) No probs

2) What people wear doesn't particularly bother me but I feel the statement is a bit self contradicting , 'Golfers should be respectful in what they wear' but formal codes are a thing of the past.
In my view unwritten codes that people feel should be obeyed are more socially exclusive than a plain written code.
FWIW my own feeling is that a lot of people like slightly formal clubhouses , having a spike room where just about anything goes and another bit where you can have a written code of whatever the members feel like should satisfy most people.

3)As 2.

4)Never had a hole in one, only two that I have witnessed were Ernie Els at the Open who I was following and a mate just before starting on a night shift.
Neither bought me a drink,

5)Damp conditions our greens certainly get footprints.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good point that. He should have specified summer only I reckon. In wet conditions a foot print can cause an indent that lasts several seconds.

I think if he just means when it's bone dry in summer and someone accidentally steps on your line, there's no need to get worked up about it.
They said firm greens
Wet and soft greens would be different for obvious reasons

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They said firm greens
Wet and soft greens would be different for obvious reasons
It’s habit forming though !
Who changes the way they behave on the course by the seasons.
I always stand behind my marker. Unless someone else is putting on same line.
Then all other players know where my marker and line is.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s habit forming though !
Who changes the way they behave on the course by the seasons.
I always stand behind my marker. Unless someone else is putting on same line.
Then all other players know where my marker and line is.
Certainly not disputing what you say.

The previous comment just showed the article was not read properly

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Honour - Have not followed this rule for over 20 years, its always been a case of ready golf when we play. Even in medals its never been questioned.

Dress Codes - Some absolutely ridiculous rules out there. I am playing next week with a mate and will need to turn up in jacket and tie, get changed into golf attire, then put on shirt, tie and jacket again to leave. Absolute antiquated nonsense. MUST CHANGE.

Spikeless shoes - 100% agree, I can walk about Turnberry or Dundonald in my golf shoes yet some "lesser track" I need to change.

Hole in one - I have always (twice) bought a bottle and stuck it on the bar. Would not go round the clubhouse offering drinks, people can take it or leave it. That seems to be the norm in Scotland from what I have witnessed.

Line of putt - I've always told people not to worry about my line, there has already been numerous sets of footprints there before, another set won't kill me.

D

Deleted member 15344

1 Slavishly following the honour - I reckon most follow ready golf now anyway and have done for ages but still in Matchplay it’s play in turn

2 Old-school dress codes – I’m never bothered by them , happy to wear golf clothes and to follow the dress code of the club I’m playing. Always think people look smarter in good golf attire

3 Spikeless shoes in the clubhouse – a lot of clubs allow it as long as the shoes are clean , happy with that but I’m more happy to change out of my sweaty shoes

4 Drinks all round for a hole-in-one – don’t mind ringing the bell if I get another. If people don’t want too then that’s their choice , it’s not a “rule”

5 Standing on the line of a putt – even on hard greens and spikeless shoes I have seen people make a mark so for me it’s safer just to show good manners and stay of someone’s line