Glove off/on - just time wasting posers?

Traditionalist? Modernist? or a bit of Both?

• Traditionalist

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Modernist

• Foot in Both Bunkers

• Total voters

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
Had the misfortune to play this weekend with a young glove-off-between-shots-hanging-out-of-back-pocket-like-a-pro merchant :mad:

IMO there is just no benefit whatsoever to this time wasting practice, and it was time wasting as the glove didn't go on until he reached his ball, and then he would start to assess what club to take. He barely broke 100 both rounds, so clearly glove on/glove off worked a treat :eek:

Now I have to play with a glove, because I'm a bit of a sweaty bugger, but I don;t feel the need to take the glove off between shots. I am also a pretty good putter, I don't see any benefit of feel from not wearing a glove, and I've tried it, in fact if anything I think it made it worse.

So thoughts? Time wasting posing, or a benefit for your game?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I personaly put my glove on, on the 1st and take it off on the 18th.

If someone wants to remove their glove between shots, I don't have a problem with it. I know with some people that it's part of their pre-shot routeen.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Normally leave the glove on but if it is sunny then I do take it off between shots simply to avoid a 'golfers tan'

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
I personaly put my glove on, on the 1st and take it off on the 18th.

If someone wants to remove their glove between shots, I don't have a problem with it. I know with some people that it's part of their pre-shot routeen.
I should have stressed I have no problem with it either per se (although I do think it is just posing LDO :p), but I DO have an issue when it starts to slow a player down.

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
I generally take my glove off after every shot, however it is always back on just before I reach the ball ( except for putting ) for my next shot. My hand in glove gets a little clammy in the summer month so prefer to get air it.

thegogg

Head Pro
www.vlgc.co.uk
I'm a glove on and off between shots player but I don't have a set routine before each shot (not good I know). I make sure that the glove is back on before I reach my ball and have a good idea of what club and shot I'll be playing so as not to waste any time so I don't think it's fair to judge everyone in the same way just because of the glove issue, take everything in to account (walking pace between shots, pre-shot routine, decision making, practice swings etc) then make the call.

Gustavo

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm a golve on from the 1st til the 18th man myself, but if it's a bit hot I'll take my glove off now and again just to get some air cooling down my sweaty paws. I always wear it for putting.

I was quite surprised to see Lucas Glover not wearing a glove at the US Open, can't remember noticing any other tour pro's not wearing a glove. The commentator mentioned Lee Janzen also being a non-glove wearer.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Up until around a month ago i never gave it a thought. I just put it on at the start of the round and took it off at the end. Then i played a few rounds of golf in scorchio weather and discovered after playing that i had one tanned hand, and one white hand!!!

I now take it off between most shots so as i don't have to walk around or work with two different colour hands :eek:)

jaser33

Visit site
Have never worn a glove after a pro gave me the tip of lightly holding the club imagining the club was a tube of toothpaste and your squeezing just enough out of the end to brush your teethafter all a glove is meant to soften the grip of the left hand.

D

Deleted member 1147

On for shot, off for walking.

I never used to wear a glove but have recently found the advantage in wearing them. So, as I don't really feel comfortable in them I take them off after every shot.

It doesn't waste any time though, as I take it off either whilst waiting for playing partner to play (but no velcro sounds during the shot),or, when walking. Then put it on whilst deciding on which club to play or whilst approaching the shot if that's obvious.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I take my on off between shots. Putting it on is my trigger that its time to focus on the shot. I get to my ball, assess the shot and make my club selection. I'll then put my glove on ad once I step over an imaginary line I'm committed to the shot. Once I've hit it and seen it finish the glove comes off again as a mental trigger that the shot is over and there is nothing more I can do and to switch off mentally until the next one

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ha, I wish my reply was as clinical as yours Homer. I take mine off probably for a whole variety of reasons none totally consciously though. These include: golfers tan (mentioned above), palm and back of knuckles stretch when lifting kit/leaning on putter, not wanting to get it dirty and to a lesser extent when I am walking up to my shot to get ready. It never hangs out of the pocket though, that makes you look like either a good golfer or a spanner, Im a single digit golfer but not THAT good! :D

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There are many things that lead to slow play. Show me any golfer, of any ability, and I will show you how they can save time during their round.

However, if the round is played at a decent pace, then what is the problem?

He is probably sat at home this very minute moaning about something you did that slowed the round down.

We all have little mannerisms, that is what makes us different.

Golf isn't a race.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think golfers hand is like a badge of honour.

I take it off to putt because I get better feel and when I do take it off it goes right into the pocket and NOT hanging out like a Pro. I take it off between shots when it is raining heavy and here is why. My golf bag has like a water repellent treatment on the fabric which causes rain to sit on the bag without soaking in so when i reach for my left strap my glove usually soaks up the water.

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
He is probably sat at home this very minute moaning about something you did that slowed the round down.
Highly unlikely, I've yet to meet a snail who was aware at all of his slowness, or the effect on his playing partners and other groups, and I'm poster boy for not dicking around on the course, as indeed this thread, homage to such a minor irritant can atest.

Golf isn't a race.
No, but it should be played without undue delay.

This guy was a dawdler, the glove posing was the icing on the cake. The hanging from the back pocket, the candles on the icing on the cake, that lit my fuse.

Range_Ball

Club Champion
Visit site
Personally i dont wear a glove so dont have that problem mates i play with generally keep their glove on from 1- 18 as long as it does not slow up play then does it really matter i think not.

RB

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
But how much of a delay is a delay?

Glove off/on, practice swing, putting bag down, checking wind direction, distance, alignment, line, club selection, that monster pause for thought over the ball that inflicts some, drying hands on towel, looking at a course planner, etc.

One guys delay, is anothers essential.

Yes, pace of play should be brisk, but I can't see sitting in the club house, moaning about a 5 hour round being soley down to glove removal between shots.

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I personally dont even bother with a glove. However it does give me blisters:(

age-14
h/c-10